The Canon EOS R3 will cost €6099, still waiting on USD pricing

I seem to recall you have an R5, correct? Just curious about the main reasons you would add an R3 to your Arsenal? For me, the R5 has been awesome, but I shoot landscspes and just do some backyard birding. I can’t wait to hear how that BSI sensor performs though!
Probably for action shots like this

1631281700034.png

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Canon are going to have to slash the price of the 1D X Mk III if the R3 is that much cheaper and by the sounds of it that much better too. Good news for most people I guess! (y)

The 1DX Mk III is the flagship so it'll be more expensive and is unlikely to get a price slash being that it isn't due to be replaced for another 2-3 years.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Isn't this usually the case? That it would be cheaper for someone in Europe to fly to NYC, buy the camera, and fly back? Of course, you would have to pay VAT on entry if I recall the rules. It always seems to be a matter of contention on these forums whenever a new camera is released. I don't think this was an actual currency conversion, but rather a conversion based on price differences with current products. It's always cheaper in the US
Unfortunately, not only VAT but also custom duties...
So, to the US price, depending on the country, you can add about 15 to 35%...( 19% Vat + > < 16% custom duties).
Unless, of course, you're a dishonest smuggler :cautious:...and ready to risk a huge fine or seizure by the customs.
Warranty can be an issue too.

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
This should be an interesting discussion. $5299 or so based on the percentage with the lenses.
This price point would be logical. $1400-ish above the R5, $1200-ish below the 1DX3, seems like a price point Canon would go for. After CA tax though it would put this at almost $6K, too rich for my blood for a camera I don't need.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I seem to recall you have an R5, correct? Just curious about the main reasons you would add an R3 to your Arsenal? For me, the R5 has been awesome, but I shoot landscspes and just do some backyard birding. I can’t wait to hear how that BSI sensor performs though!
For me, I am hoping for a buffer that clears faster, closer to the 1DXIII's nearly unlimited buffer. Smaller file size should mean I can download images faster and get to editing when I'm on deadline. The reduced viewfinder lag will make some of my studio shooting easier.

But my main reason is to consolidate everything into one lens mount. Even if I take a hit on the 1Dx III, I can sell my EF lenses and come out about even. But more importantly, I am damn tired of lugging around duplicate lenses when I need to use both bodies.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
What currency site are they using, jesus!!

Today $5500 is 4,648.6215 Euros as per https://www.xe.com/

or if we take your rumoured price of €6099, thats 7,215.7485 US Dollars.

I t would literally be cheaper for every european photographer to fly to NY and buy it there and stick in luggage.
€6099 would actually correspond to about $5299, according to other lens/camera prices. On April 2020 I paid 7419 Euros (including tax) for the 1DX3, when the price in the US was 6499 US dollars (excluding tax).

Flying to NY to buy the equipment was indeed worth it when the euro to dollar exchange rate was about 1.4 or higher. But now, at less than 1.2, this is not the case any more: in addition to the flight ticket, taxi from the airport and a night of hotel, don't forget you have to add NY tax (8.875%).

I used to fly from Europe to NY in the past just for shopping cameras, lenses and computers, but now, unless I need to travel for work or to a state with 0% tax, it doesn't make sense any more :-(

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
The 1DX Mk III is the flagship so it'll be more expensive and is unlikely to get a price slash being that it isn't due to be replaced for another 2-3 years.

“Replacement” I feel the word might be Discontinued!

Canon has this annoying habit of continuing to call models flagships even when newer models arrive and outperform them. Reviewers on Youtubers, JP for example was teasing Canon by calling the R3 a flagship even though he claimed Canon pacifically told him not to call the R3 a flagship.

I Googled “Flagship” and this is what it came up with

Definition of flagship ... : the best, largest, or most important one of a group of things

I must agree with “largest” :) but best… Just marketing and brand protection, I guess.

I’m not knocking the 1D series I spent most of my photography life shooting with one, I just find the terminology interesting

Upvote 0
Isn't this usually the case? That it would be cheaper for someone in Europe to fly to NYC, buy the camera, and fly back? Of course, you would have to pay VAT on entry if I recall the rules. It always seems to be a matter of contention on these forums whenever a new camera is released. I don't think this was an actual currency conversion, but rather a conversion based on price differences with current products. It's always cheaper in the US
If EU customs authorities grab your camera or goods at the airport and consider that you are importing them, provided their value is over 475 euros (not sure about the current exact amount), you will need to pay the VAT on entry.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
€6099 would actually correspond to about $5299, according to other lens/camera prices. On April 2020 I paid 7419 Euros (including tax) for the 1DX3, when the price in the US was 6499 US dollars (excluding tax).

Flying to NY to buy the equipment was indeed worth it when the euro to dollar exchange rate was about 1.4 or higher. But now, at less than 1.2, this is not the case any more: in addition to the flight ticket, taxi from the airport and a night of hotel, don't forget you have to add NY tax (8.875%).

I used to fly from Europe to NY in the past just for shopping cameras, lenses and computers, but now, unless I need to travel for work or to a state with 0% tax, it doesn't make sense any more :-(
Not to mention if recent history is any indication, then your odds of finding a copy in stock anytime near the release date is vanishingly small.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Canon has this annoying habit of continuing to call models flagships even when newer models arrive and outperform them. Reviewers on Youtubers, JP for example was teasing Canon by calling the R3 a flagship even though he claimed Canon pacifically told him not to call the R3 a flagship.

Definition of flagship ... : the best, largest, or most important one of a group of things

I must agree with “largest” :) but best… Just marketing and brand protection, I guess.

I’m not knocking the 1D series I spent most of my photography life shooting with one, I just find the terminology interesting

The 1DX becomes the R1 when it is due for replacement. What some random Youtubers say doesn't change that Canon have said this isn't the flagship it isn't priced as the flagship and Canon are still selling the 1DX Mk 3 as their best camera and as such it's price wont change. The R3 may better it in a few ways, but not in every aspect.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020

Ah yes, it all makes sense now. The 1DXiii is the flagship because it is physically larger than the R3. Now we know why the R3 can't be called the flagship!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
The 1DX becomes the R1 when it is due for replacement. What some random Youtubers say doesn't change that Canon have said this isn't the flagship it isn't priced as the flagship and Canon are still selling the 1DX Mk 3 as their best camera and as such it's price wont change. The R3 may better it in a few ways, but not in every aspect.
I'm just curious, what aspects do you think the 1DX3 will excel over the R3? Side note, from a marketing and PR perspective it would make sense for Canon to NOT consider the R3 a flagship without knowing how it's received by the market. It would be quite the blow to Canon as a company to consider a camera a flagship and it not perform. But if this camera excels past the 1DX3 in just about every fashion and is widely received by the 1DX community, what would make you think the R3 would not eventually be considered Canon's flagship, even if "unofficially"?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
For me, I am hoping for a buffer that clears faster, closer to the 1DXIII's nearly unlimited buffer. Smaller file size should mean I can download images faster and get to editing when I'm on deadline. The reduced viewfinder lag will make some of my studio shooting easier.

But my main reason is to consolidate everything into one lens mount. Even if I take a hit on the 1Dx III, I can sell my EF lenses and come out about even. But more importantly, I am damn tired of lugging around duplicate lenses when I need to use both bodies.
I'm in the same boat here. The only two things I don't love about my R5 are the buffer and the (slight) electronic shutter warping. The 1dx2 and 1dx3 buffer is actually unlimited, you can fill any card before it hits the buffer. I would bet the R3 can match that, easily. Whereas the R5(and even the A1) both have a buffer of maybe 50-80 raw images. That sounds like a lot until you're holding down the shutter and hitting the buffer in 2 or 3 seconds of action. Whereas on the 1dx mark II, if something incredible is happening, I can just hold down the shutter for the next 30 seconds and have every single frame in perfect detail.

I am more than happy with my 1dx2 as a secondary camera to the R5, but like you said, it's annoying having duplicate lenses to worry about.

In all reality I'm actually very excited by the idea of a usable 30 fps. On the R5 I tend to avoid 20 fps due to buffer/file size, but at 24 mp I'll be less worried about file size.

If Canon implemented a way to control the FPS of electronic shutter, I would use the crap out of 20 fps at 24 mp.

In rough nonscientific math, 45 mp at 20 fps is ~900 MB/s, 24mp at 30 fps is ~720 MB/s, and 24mp at 20 fps is ~480MB/s.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I'm in the same boat here. The only two things I don't love about my R5 are the buffer and the (slight) electronic shutter warping. The 1dx2 and 1dx3 buffer is actually unlimited, you can fill any card before it hits the buffer. I would bet the R3 can match that, easily. Whereas the R5(and even the A1) both have a buffer of maybe 50-80 raw images. That sounds like a lot until you're holding down the shutter and hitting the buffer in 2 or 3 seconds of action. Whereas on the 1dx mark II, if something incredible is happening, I can just hold down the shutter for the next 30 seconds and have every single frame in perfect detail.[..]
It also impacts the builtin focus stacking feature, if I go over 50-ish images in a stack it will stutter and start taking pictures at a much slower rate. So I try to keep focus stacks of things like dragonflies to less than 50 pictures and hope they keep still for those 2.5 seconds. It's one of the things I know the 30fps on the R3 will help with: faster stacks.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It's always cheaper in the US
Only because US prices don't include tax. After taxes, there's little to choose between US and UK, if you buy through the official importer.

If you want the lowest price, buy from a grey importer, but choose your seller very carefully, as many will e.g. swap out genuine batteries for fakes, or take similar shortcuts to maximise profit. Most offer a warranty that's inferior to the one supplied by the official importer, and delivery times can be long.

I found a grey importer I can trust, and I've been using them for the last 10 years without any problems. They offer a 3 year local warranty with Canon-authorized repairers. Delivery from Hong Kong to the UK takes 4 days from the date I place the order on-line.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
Don't forget USA sales tax. I googled it, and New York City is said to have a (state + local) sales tax of 8.875%.
7-8% is typical, and some states have no sales tax. More important, B&H is a major retailer that offers an immediate discount equal to your sales tax when you use their credit card, so it's easy for anyone to buy in the US tax free. (And it's been done to death, but the state sales tax is actually paid that way, so there's no reporting or tax liability being avoided.)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0