The Canon EOS R3 will cost €6099, still waiting on USD pricing

D

Deleted member 381342

I'm just curious, what aspects do you think the 1DX3 will excel over the R3? Side note, from a marketing and PR perspective it would make sense for Canon to NOT consider the R3 a flagship without knowing how it's received by the market. It would be quite the blow to Canon as a company to consider a camera a flagship and it not perform. But if this camera excels past the 1DX3 in just about every fashion and is widely received by the 1DX community, what would make you think the R3 would not eventually be considered Canon's flagship, even if "unofficially"?

Mechanical FPS is one area the 1DX Mk 3 may still be ahead, AF accuracy (as it has cross type AF and no mirrorless has this yet), we already know it had dual CF Express and the R3 only has one CF Express, perhaps even build quality.

The R3 is going to be pretty much the best mirrorless camera you can buy until we see the Nikon Z9 that may or may not surpass it. No one will be disappointed by a R3, but a 1DX Mk3 user is likely still going to want to use that. Though my opinion and your's is irrelevant here, Canon have made it clear that the R3 is not the R1 and is not here to unseat the 1DX Mk 3 and you can be sure they'll make it so. Already it falls short by only having one CF Express slot.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Probably for action shots like this

View attachment 200111
It wasn't funny the first time you implied neuro has some bizarre relationship with dogs, and it hasn't gotten any more funny since.

Kinda weird that despite your first account seemingly having gone up in smoke this second one isn't moderatet despite stuff like that.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Mechanical FPS is one area the 1DX Mk 3 may still be ahead, AF accuracy (as it has cross type AF and no mirrorless has this yet), we already know it had dual CF Express and the R3 only has one CF Express, perhaps even build quality.

The R3 is going to be pretty much the best mirrorless camera you can buy until we see the Nikon Z9 that may or may not surpass it. No one will be disappointed by a R3, but a 1DX Mk3 user is likely still going to want to use that. Though my opinion and your's is irrelevant here, Canon have made it clear that the R3 is not the R1 and is not here to unseat the 1DX Mk 3 and you can be sure they'll make it so. Already it falls short by only having one CF Express slot.
I don't understand what you're saying about AF and crosstype. Why would you bring up a type of AF that can only be compared across DSLR models, and then say mirrorless doesn't have that. Mirrorless is literally an entirely different AF, and I'd never elect to go back to DSLR autofocus. Have you shot with an R5 or R6?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I seem to recall you have an R5, correct? Just curious about the main reasons you would add an R3 to your Arsenal? For me, the R5 has been awesome, but I shoot landscspes and just do some backyard birding. I can’t wait to hear how that BSI sensor performs though!
As @unfocused indicated, I have an EOS R (and a 1D X, and three EOS M-series bodies).

The main reason I prefer the R3 (and didn’t get the R5) is the ergonomics. I far prefer the integrated grip (I’ve used battery grips on earlier cameras the feel is different and the button placement is not great). The heavier body is also a better balance for the lenses I typically use, at the end of a shooting day with a non-gripped body my hand is sore, that isn’t the case with my 1D X.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The 1DX Mk III is the flagship so it'll be more expensive and is unlikely to get a price slash being that it isn't due to be replaced for another 2-3 years.
I do think the price of the 1DX II will drop on the used market.
Quite a lot of people did not upgrade to the 1DX III.
The price of the R3 makes it harder to resist.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't understand what you're saying about AF and crosstype. Why would you bring up a type of AF that can only be compared across DSLR models, and then say mirrorless doesn't have that. Mirrorless is literally an entirely different AF, and I'd never elect to go back to DSLR autofocus. Have you shot with an R5 or R6?
Canon's Dual Pixel AF is a Form of phase detection AF, which is also the principle DSLR use. Because all half pixels on the sensor are oriented the same way, Canon's DPAF can have issues when there is no contrast in this orientation. That's why the patents for quad pixel AF are exciting, as that would effectively be a type of cross point AF.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016

I think the only way the R3 does not upset the 1DXMK3 is in that one is RF mount and the other is EF. Jared Polin has both the 1DXMK3 and the R3, and he said the R3 is the new flagship regardless of what Canon is saying. It’s superior in just about every way… 10:04

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Try your R6/R5 or indeed any current mirrorless body on vertical lines (Note Samsung showed a quad pixel AF system that doesn't struggle). But to add again, since it seems lost: Our opinions are irrelevant. Canon say the 1DX Mk 3 sits above the R3.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
DPAF is linear and all the sensels share the same orientation. I forget if it's horizontal or vertical, but DPAF can't detect things that are perfectly vertical. The cross-type AF points are both angled at 45 degrees and 90 degrees apart from eachother.

So trying to focus on fencing or vertical window blinds with DPAF can be difficult if there's no contrast on the slats itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

IMHO anyone happy with the 1DX III has little reason to switch.
For people who need a silent shutter, the R3 seems way better.
For 2 eyed shooters, no mirrorless will ever beat a DSLR.
For a lot of people, there is not much difference.

Upvote 0