The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

I had my 5D Mark IV shut down last week due to overheating @ 38C / 100F ambient shade temperature. The camera was on a tripod in full shade, under WiFi control via CamRanger 2, shooting nature pics. In such conditions the camera is working hard, sending a continuous live stream to the remote Mac or iPad. No surprises, no worries. The R5 will perform as well as any other camera in extreme conditions..
That’s interesting. I hope you’re right about the R5. I used the 5D4, R, 1Dx2 and 1Dx3 and have never encountered overheating.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
In the "View full specifications" sheet downloadable from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...meras/mirrorless/eos-r5?tab=drivers_downloads it says:
*1: For shooting RAW images in [High-speed continuous +], 13-bit A/D conversion will apply regardless of the mode (A, B, or C).

Interestingly, the same Canon US spec-sheet for R6 - downloadable from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r6 - does not mention any bit-depth restriction in [High-speed continuous +].

Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
Interestingly, the same Canon US spec-sheet for R6 - downloadable from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/mirrorless/eos-r6 - does not mention any bit-depth restriction in [High-speed continuous +].
Sony's 24 mpx. A9II drops everything to 12bit in continuous mode, regardless of the speed. I guess the lesser number of R6's pixels helps, or the penalty applies but they just didn't feel mentioning it :p.
I'd be OK with 8fps 13bit if the AF tracks as well as the Sony/1DxIII.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Sony's 24 mpx. A9II drops everything to 12bit in continuous mode, regardless of the speed. I guess the lesser number of R6's pixels helps, or the penalty applies but they just didn't feel mentioning it :p.
I'd be OK with 8fps 13bit if the AF tracks as well as the Sony/1DxIII.

At 8fps both the R5 and R6 should do 14-bit, provided you are getting the 8fps in Hi mode with a full battery, not by doing Hi+ with a depleted battery :)

Upvote 0
My local store told me that they were already unpacking R5 bodies for distribution to their other stores and that my R5 would be available for pickup on Thursday. I really hope the vertical grip is in as well, but time will tell.
You are lucky. In France there is a shortage... Only 3 in my store. I am 3rd on the list. One is for demo. Do the math...:cry:

Upvote 0
Yeah man, I hear ya. My 60D, 5D4, and R are bulletproof. I never had overheating issues with those cameras....they just worked.

Same with my T3i and M50. Never ever shut down, not even on the beach in CA, Hawaii or middle of summer in Vegas (115F).
But then again, to be fair, none of my nor your cameras have 4K in combination with IBIS and no crop, which is what causes more heat.
My 69 Camaro never had an issue with AC like my 1987 Camaro did. The 69 never had AC installed.

Yet it is weird that after all these years with no Canon heating issues, and with many Canon owners (as well as the company) bragging about it not overheating like Sony, suddenly it is "a non issue".

Weirder that Canon Europe advertises this, in HUGE font, as:
"Setting new standards for filmmakers… all over again"

This guy actually tested the M50 with a a range of various camera, including my M50 and it was either the longest or one of the top longest one to record before overheating (I forgot).

Upvote 0
I've never pre-ordered and usually buy refurbished. This time I pre-ordered less than 2 minutes after the pre-order was open. I will NOT patiently wait, it's cold in my house and I want my heater NOW. :p

Just kidding, I don't care about this overheating nonsense unless it is way worse than described by all the hype, mostly want the amazing stills!

Can the camera overheat in stills mode?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My local camera store called me yesterday (Tuesday, July 28th) to tell me my camera was ready for pickup. (FINALLY)
But I wasn't allowed to pick up the camera until Thursday, July 30th at 9:00 am (EST.) (UGH)
I was #9 on their preorder list so it looks like I'll get my camera in a little over 24 hours. Can you tell I'm excited? Ha!!

They also informed me they had extra batteries and the battery grip and they're holding those as well with my camera.
I also pre-ordered the RF 800 f/11. They didn't mention whether this was in stock as well.

This is the first camera I've ever pre-ordered in the 16 years I've been shooting. I've been shooting 5D cameras since the first 5D camera came out.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I just did a search and don't see customize layout for the Q screen (quick control).

On the 5D4 you can place controls wherever you want on the Q screen and hide ones you don't use. Anyone see this feature described? I will be frustrated if they removed this, it is one of my favorite features of the 5D4 and 6D2. Nothing beats configuring the touch locations and display to your liking. For example when I press Q on the 5D4, my custom screen shows only Aperture, ISO, Shutter speed on the top row and drive mode, focus mode, and WB on the bottom. I got rid of all the junk I don't need to see frequently and positioned those where I can touch them with thumbs easily.

Agreed!
For my needs there is a lot of useless shit displayed that I would like to suppress and can's seem to.
I am rather sure many users would have totally different needs for what is displayed. This is a gaffe I hope they fix in some near future firmware update.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Some are shipping early. Mine shipped today and same with another on FM.
Yup, my retailer confirmed they have mine and it will be delivered to me tomorrow. :D Even with all the negative commentary on the tinternet about overheating etc, I'm still excited and cant wait to get it in my sticky mits!! The overheating doesn't bother me as I'm only an occasional video shooter and will probably never touch 8k or 4k120.:p

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Correct

But possible in the 1DX3 at 16fps mechanical

20MP * 16fps * 14bit = 4480Mbit/sec
45MP * 08fps * 14bit = 5040Mbit/sec

So the R5 has about 10% more throughput than the 1DX3 at 14 bit, though the latter could be constrained by mechanical limitations rather than data rates
Man, that sucks, I’ve always left my cameras at H, now I’ll have to switch back and forth and bursts will be “lower” DR etc... I’m glad I cancelled my preorder, there seems to be A LOT of limitations I never even thought about.

maybe the DSLRS aren’t dead yet. It seems like overallthe specs are great, but then I find out that it can’t really be used to it’s best abilities without having a whole list of if’s and but’s...

Upvote 0