The Canon EOS R5 Mark II coming in Q2, 2023? [CR2]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I find the R5's AF stellar. But, maybe an upgraded R5 would convince me otherwise. By the way, I do like your website.
Thank you.

The R5 autofocus is generally stellar, especially if the view is unobstructed. Where I find it less than ideal is when trying to pick out a subject, such as a songbird, that is in a field of tall grass or on a branch in a tree. The autofocus can completely lose the subject, frustratingly focusing on an object in the foreground, so that you can't even find the subject anymore. By the time focus is regained, the subject is often gone.

From what I've read on this forum, this has something to do with the way dual pixel autofocus works vs. phase detect. I don't profess to understand it, but @neuroanatomist has referenced this in past posts and may be able to shed some light.

Takeaway for me though, is that I prefer a longer time period between new models so as to maximize the improvements.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you.

The R5 autofocus is generally stellar, especially if the view is unobstructed. Where I find it less than ideal is when trying to pick out a subject, such as a songbird, that is in a field of tall grass or on a branch in a tree. The autofocus can completely lose the subject, frustratingly focusing on an object in the foreground, so that you can't even find the subject anymore. By the time focus is regained, the subject is often gone.

From what I've read on this forum, this has something to do with the way dual pixel autofocus works vs. phase detect. I don't profess to understand it, but @neuroanatomist has referenced this in past posts and may be able to shed some light.

Takeaway for me though, is that I prefer a longer time period between new models so as to maximize the improvements.
I have one back button (AF-on) set to tracking eyeAF over the whole frame and another (*) to centre point focus, and I use the latter if eyeAF doesn't pick up the songbird as the * button will focus immediately.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I think there are a lot more 5DIII and 5DIV owners out there than R5 owners, and they are the primary target market.
If folks on this forum would get out into the real world, I think they would find that they are not the typical Canon or any brand camera user, a fact that I believe you mention frequently. I have no data, of course, but I don't believe the previous generation of any camera model is ever the target market. Changes from one generation to the next are almost always small and incremental to anyone who is not totally spec oriented and must have the latest. The average camera buyer, in my opinion, is also not buying a new camera until they either have to due to the age or dis-repair of their current camera, until the improvements are considerable in the specific model, or they are upgrading from a lesser model to a better model. Or, of course, if this is their first camera. So, yes, the target market for probably all of Canon's RF cameras to date, including the R6 II and the future R5 II, are current Canon DSLR owners. So, even though mirrorless camera sales have now surpassed DSLR sales, the majority of Canon cameras owners are probably still using DSLRs.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A discussion of the R6ii digital teleconvertor can be found here:

...starts at about 15:30
He says it's a gimmick no good for wild life and he would have no use for it. Well, he should try and think outside of the box. You sometimes use your telephoto lens in the field as a spotting scope to identify far distant birds, for example, and it is there such a feature would be useful. I often take such a shot to identify something I can't make out, and it's sometimes still too small at 10x magnification in playback so a 20x or 40x would be useful. It's not I am going to print it later, but that it's useful at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
I think there are a lot more 5DIII and 5DIV owners out there than R5 owners, and they are the primary target market.

Not to be the Debbie Downer, but I just listed my 5DIII and 5DIV on eBay. Still holding on to one 5DIV, but I'm not sure why. I'll probably list it after Xmas.

Picking up the A7r V and making the full switcheroo to Sony. It's a loooong story, but Canon's tediously long and painful mirrorless transition left a really bad taste in my mouth, the head-fake on the 5D Mark V (5DV is coming - wait - no it's not!), banning third party lenses, and then the poor/nominal MP boost from the 5DIV to the R5... well, I've had enough, and it was enough to make me start looking for greener pastures.

I might come crawling back to Canon some day, but for now, 'tis farewell.

• Haha
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
and then the poor/nominal MP boost from the 5DIV to the R5... well, I've had enough, and it was enough to make me start looking for greener pastures.

The 30 Mpx on 5DIV going to 45 Mpx on the R5 with a new AA-filter that increases resolution to the 50Mpx of the 5DSR is only poor/nominal??

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I have one back button (AF-on) set to tracking eyeAF over the whole frame and another (*) to centre point focus, and I use the latter if eyeAF doesn't pick up the songbird as the * button will focus immediately.
I've the same button set up. It's ideal as its easy to switch one method is not working well. I use it alot of sport too. Sometimes the R5 is excellent at selecting the target on the field but sometimes you have to direct to what specifically you want in focus.
It feels strange when I switch back to the 1DXIII and I don't have face detect through the viewfinder. It's still quite an effective autofocus system

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Not to be the Debbie Downer, but I just listed my 5DIII and 5DIV on eBay. Still holding on to one 5DIV, but I'm not sure why. I'll probably list it after Xmas.

Picking up the A7r V and making the full switcheroo to Sony. It's a loooong story, but Canon's tediously long and painful mirrorless transition left a really bad taste in my mouth, the head-fake on the 5D Mark V (5DV is coming - wait - no it's not!), banning third party lenses, and then the poor/nominal MP boost from the 5DIV to the R5... well, I've had enough, and it was enough to make me start looking for greener pastures.

I've been quite impressed with the R5 and have found it a very worthwhile upgrade. I couldn't even contemplate switching systems as I'm so invested in Canon Lens. I'm sure the A7RV or A1 are excellent cameras in their own right. I think they keep Canon on their toes and keeps them innovating. Nikon too, I think their mirrorless range is very nice, seems to render excellent looking images. I hope they can all remain competitive, but its a hard market these days and there will be more withdrawals from the market.Anyone contemplating an R5 (even though there is a new one on the horizon) I'd give it a big thumbs up. All bad pictures are now only the photographers fault and not the camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015

Honest question: What head fake? I can't remember a single credible report about another pro DSLR, let alone something that could be construed as a head fake. Even if Canon had, the reception of the R5 in the market (while rocky at first with overheating issues) seems to have netted out as overall quite positive.

Yeah, Canon was 1-2 years too late and the initial release (R and RP) were seriously lacking. But the R5 and R3 seem to validate that Canon got where they needed to go, and further investments in DSLRs are not prudent.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To be fair, Sony is well known for increasing MP between generations. Look at that brand new A7RV sensor with its huge increase in both resolution and readout speed!
What is the readout time of the A7RV? All I could find is a comment that it is 4x longer than the R5 - is that correct? I know the A7RIV is 62.5ms compared with 15.5ms of the R5.

Edit: found a reference that the readout speed of the A7R5 is up to twice that of the A7RIV, so it's still at least 2x slower than the R5 and with about twice the rolling shutter https://sparrowsnews.com/2022/05/22/sony-a7r5-full-specifications-leaked/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
What is the readout time of the A7RV? All I could find is a comment that it is 4x longer than the R5 - is that correct? I know the A7RIV is 62.5ms compared with 15.5ms of the R5.

Same sensor, same readout. And I'm definitely being snarky here, the A7R4/5 sensor is great. Leading resolution, BSI means it's still got great DR. But you're paying a lot in terms of frames per second and rolling shutter for that 40% resolution advantage over the R5. To get the R5's features in a Sony body sadly requires moving up to the (admittedly stellar) A1. (This cuts both ways, especially if you're looking at the places Sony excels, such as the A7S3)

Edit: I'd be equally harsh on Canon if they did the same thing. I could have gotten excited about an R5 mk2 with the same sensor + other upgrades if it had already hit the market but IMO I'm looking for either a resolution bump (to get closer to the 61mp sony) or a stacked sensor (to go up against the A1) if we're talking about mid 2023 availability.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure that the A7Rv is a good camera. Switching costs would be high - at least for me.
I would estimate that the R5 would be the natural competitor coming from the 5Div (like me) so I am interested in your decision making process.

I don't get your mirrorless transition comment as the R5 came out 2.5 years ago so more than enough time for things to settle down and firmware/feature upgrades to be released. The R came out 4 years ago. It seems that you have waited for a very long time to move from DLSR
In many ways, it seems that Sony have caught up with the R5 but it is mid way through its lifecycle.
I don't buy the 3rd party lenses argument. They haven't banned EF 3rd party lenses and they work better on R5 vs 5Div. The sheer number of EF/EF-S and RF lenses available might not be quite the Sony ecosystem but hard to say that it is a major impediment.

The A7Rv has
- slightly more linear resolution but has the same resolution as the A7Riv
- a nice tilty/swivel rear LCD
- Faster wifi and longer battery life
- A higher resolution EVF but the devil is in the detail for reduced resolution in different modes
- First Sony with focus bracketing but R5 already had it
- Type A cards which have small capacity and are expensive
- Full HDMI port
- New menus and touch screen!
- Finally closes the shutter when changing lenses

The R5 has
- faster raw shooting and electronic shutter (20fps)
- focus points across all of the frame
- raw DCI 8k/30 video vs UHD 8k/25 with crop using codecs.
- Rolling shutter is significant
- top LCD screen
- Arguably better ergonomics especially for people with larger hands

Upvote 0