The Canon EOS R5c is coming in Q1 2022 [CR3]

So you have an important shoot coming up and you have sold your last camera and you have been hesitating for weeks on what to buy, well first off I'm glad I didn't hire you. Your going to go into an important shoot with a system and lenses that you are unfamiliar with. I hope you're not charging for this shoot. In the weeks that you have been deciding you could have rented both systems and seen for yourself which one was going to suite your needs.
I wonder why people like you feel compelled to judge others without knowing ?

if I go with the A1 I’ll be in known territory as I’ve been shooting alpha cameras like the last one for years. If I go with the R5, well, I’ve been shooting canon for years too, and i still have plenty of time to test it before the shoot. And in any case, ill show up with a proper functioning gear, and a backup camera.

I’m charging for this job as I have been for 25 years, and all is well thanks. Now if you don’t have a specific advice on my specific question please refrain from commenting because I just don’t give any value to your judgmental comments.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That does not support what I said, yet you are telling me to read before posting.

Did his cameras shut down from stills captures only? No.

Did he give a length of time of operation of stills only to the point his camera with temp warning would not allow him to shoot any video? Again, no.

Does he say what firmware he was running? No.
Again, you didn’t read: I NEVER said anybody had his camera stop when taking stills. You came up with this, I didn’t.

for your last two questions: he did. Look him up, and plenty of others by yourself.

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
GM glass seem good quality as well though, don’t you like them? (I personally prefer the RF that tend to be lighter)
Newer GM glass is good, like the 50mm that was recently released, but with other lenses there is issues with focus breathing. For video work, that would definitely be an issue and something to consider. But if you are using the glass for photography, it is still suited to any needs. I cannot comment on Sony's cinema line of lenses, however, as I have never used them.

Upvote 0
Newer GM glass is good, like the 50mm that was recently released, but with other lenses there is issues with focus breathing. For video work, that would definitely be an issue and something to consider. But if you are using the glass for photography, it is still suited to any needs. I cannot comment on Sony's cinema line of lenses, however, as I have never used them.
Thank you very much for that feedback. Definitely resonates! So generally speaking you would experience less focus breathing on the RF L lenses you mean?

I was considering 12-24 GM, 50 1.2 GM, and 200-600 GM on the Sony side

For the R5 I was thinking about the RF 15-35, RF 50 1.2 L USM, RF 85 1.2 USM, RF 70-200 2.8 L and RF 100-500

Do you have any specific experience with those or recommendations?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Again, you didn’t read: I NEVER said anybody had his camera stop when taking stills. You came up with this, I didn’t.

for your last two questions: he did. Look him up, and plenty of others by yourself.
I can’t find your source data so even though I ‘looked him up’ he has 7 YouTube vidoes with 22 subscribers. He does not say anything authoritative, his comments are not repeatable and he doesn’t list the firmware used.

Alternatively there is Jared Polin, not a particularly popular YouTuber amongst the posters here but he has been using R5’s exclusively for video for 12 months for all his video productions. He has access to any equipment and uses Sony cameras for his stills shooting. He is choosing to use R5’s.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I can’t find your source data so even though I ‘looked him up’ he has 7 YouTube vidoes with 22 subscribers. He does not say anything authoritative, his comments are not repeatable and he doesn’t list the firmware used.

Alternatively there is Jared Polin, not a particularly popular YouTuber amongst the posters here but he has been using R5’s exclusively for video for 12 months for all his video productions. He has access to any equipment and uses Sony cameras for his stills shooting. He is choosing to use R5’s.

Yeah and for all we know he may be sponsored by Canon.

Nonetheless, he himself acknowledges the overheating issues with the R5, only leaving his two R5 bodies in the studio shooting 4K24, not above… And chose to shoot his stills with the Sony A1 making it his go to camera.

See his latest video, he says all of that himself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That’s the kind of comments that freak me out. Did you try shooting with an external recorder?
No, it was all internal.

I originally had intentions of only using one if I shoot 4k, but now with 1080p 120 overheating… might have to use it with 1080p. I would expect the 1080p to at minimum perform without overheating. Feel like it’s a timer thing honestly.

I’ve had the camera overheat when I was in Vegas doing just stills too. It wasn’t out of the race, but it definitely overheated. 100 degree weather in the dunes.

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Alternatively there is Jared Polin, not a particularly popular YouTuber amongst the posters here
Funny you mention that. I know I am probably in the minority here, but I love Jared. His videos are all informative for the most part and his news fix series plays to my sense of humor, so I enjoy them.

Upvote 0
I’ve had the camera overheat when I was in Vegas doing just stills too. It wasn’t out of the race, but it definitely overheated. 100 degree weather in the dunes.
Somebody here is going to either suddenly vanish or dismiss your comment saying your experience is not “repeatable, not authoritative and you don’t list the firmware used” :-/

I thank you for that feedback. Regarding video, according to many users, an external recorder like the ninja should allow you to go well over the timer issue. The question is for how long, mileage seems to vary

Last edited:
Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Thank you very much for that feedback. Definitely resonates! So generally speaking you would experience less focus breathing on the RF L lenses you mean?

I was considering 12-24 GM, 50 1.2 GM, and 200-600 GM on the Sony side

For the R5 I was thinking about the RF 15-35, RF 50 1.2 L USM, RF 85 1.2 USM, RF 70-200 2.8 L and RF 100-500

Do you have any specific experience with those or recommendations?
The 12-24 GM definitely has the issue as I have personally experienced it. I have not used the other two, but I also frequent Sony user forums and they say the 50mm is very improved in this regard. I have not had the issues as much with my L series lenses.

Upvote 0
The 12-24 GM definitely has the issue as I have personally experienced it. I have not used the other two, but I also frequent Sony user forums and they say the 50mm is very improved in this regard. I have not had the issues as much with my L series lenses.
Thanks a lot, that’s very valuable info to me. May I ask you what set of L lenses you are using?

Upvote 0

frjmacias

EOS R5 and EOS M50
May 14, 2020
Monterey, California
Thanks a lot, that’s very valuable info to me. May I ask you what set of L lenses you are using?
I own the 50mm 1.2 and the 15-35mm 2.8. I have also used the 24-70 2.8, the 24-105mm f4, and the 85mm 1.2. The ones I own have been my favorite and most useful for the work I do.

Upvote 0
a R5 with reduced video features and more stable stills performance in all battery level would be a welcome. reduce this price and bump up the R5 version price for all those video bells and whistles. make those pay more for all those extra R&D cost for those high end video features.
there are many Canon stills shooters whom are paying a premium for those video features which they're not using.
Panasonic does that with paid upgrade or releasing a model like S1H. People whom buy the S1R are mostly buying for stills. it has more useful stills functions.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
That said, I'm troubled by the heat of my R5 for still shooting. On a warm day in a mostly shady back yard, I shot 192 still images in 16 minutes, following a 55 minute break after shooting a couple dozen images. That's 12 shots per minute.

It gets hot at the grip area. Uncomfortable enough that rotating to vertical to hold the battery grip is a relief. Enough to make one understand the concept of low-temperature burns. I shot some images with my phone using my Leupold LTO, which does not show absolute temps.

It shows the hot areas rear, with card extended, side, top and front.

The first impression is that the card is the "smoking gun" but it wasn't alarmingly hot more than the rest, and I suspect it just reflects interior temp, not the heat source.

View attachment 198737View attachment 198738View attachment 198739View attachment 198740
I shoot mostly birds-in-flight at 20 FPS with the R5. A typical day will be a few thousand frames. Over-heating has not been a issue at all. Nor do I feel heat in the grip. Wonder in your camera may have a issue? Might let Canon check it?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yeah and for all we know he may be sponsored by Canon.

Nonetheless, he himself acknowledges the overheating issues with the R5, only leaving his two R5 bodies in the studio shooting 4K24, not above… And chose to shoot his stills with the Sony A1 making it his go to camera.

See his latest video, he says all of that himself.
Yes, I know, that was why I put it there! I’m not interested in convincing you either way, I am just interested in you getting worthwhile and actually relevant information to help you answer your own question instead of bouncing from every nobody with an opinion and unknown allegiance or experience. I don’t know what you are trying to do in enough detail to tell you if an R5 and Ninja V will work for your intended shooting scenario, nobody does, so I’m just trying to help you cut through the crap.

He, unlike your non ‘link’, has thousands of videos and millions of views. Yes he has a good relationship with Canon but he could easily be using a Cine camera for his video, but he doesn’t. He chooses to use R5’s and if that was costing him time and money he wouldn’t.

But you obviously don’t appreciate my efforts so I’m out, good luck with the gig. It sounds like you’ll need it.

Upvote 0
Yes, I know, that was why I put it there! I’m not interested in convincing you either way, I am just interested in you getting worthwhile and actually relevant information to help you answer your own question instead of bouncing from every nobody with an opinion and unknown allegiance or experience. I don’t know what you are trying to do in enough detail to tell you if an R5 and Ninja V will work for your intended shooting scenario, nobody does, so I’m just trying to help you cut through the crap.

He, unlike your non ‘link’, has thousands of videos and millions of views. Yes he has a good relationship with Canon but he could easily be using a Cine camera for his video, but he doesn’t. He chooses to use R5’s and if that was costing him time and money he wouldn’t.

But you obviously don’t appreciate my efforts so I’m out, good luck with the gig. It sounds like you’ll need it.
I do appreciate you trying to be of a help and especially this last message.
Im not bouncing from nobodies advice, I’m actually collecting as much faithful user experience and testimonies as I can and I tend to value them much more than any youtuber’s with millions of views who are probably tied with brands and are trying to please the mass.

but then again, even him uses the R5 in its lower capacities and chose to personally shoot the A1 as he said himself.

it’s not an easy choice at all if there is one to make between the two and for example @frjmacias here gave me very valuable info about the focus breathing issues I may encounter with some Sony glass than even make the choice harder.
I would definitely love to buy a proper cinema camera with cine lenses + a photography camera with photo lenses if i could but I have other priorities regarding how to spend the money so I’m just trying to make the best educated choice with those constraints.
Thank you anyway for chiming in and for your wishes of luck, I’ll certainly preciously keep them in heart and I do wish you all the very best as well :)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I do appreciate you trying to be of a help and especially this last message.
Im not bouncing from nobodies advice, I’m actually collecting as much faithful user experience and testimonies as I can and I tend to value them much more than any youtuber’s with millions of views who are probably tied with brands and are trying to please the mass.

but then again, even him uses the R5 in its lower capacities and chose to personally shoot the A1 as he said himself.

it’s not an easy choice at all if there is one to make between the two and for example @frjmacias here gave me very valuable info about the focus breathing issues I may encounter with some Sony glass than even make the choice harder.
I would definitely love to buy a proper cinema camera with cine lenses + a photography camera with photo lenses if i could but I have other priorities regarding how to spend the money so I’m just trying to make the best educated choice with those constraints.
Thank you anyway for chiming in and for your wishes of luck, I’ll certainly preciously keep them in heart and I do wish you all the very best as well :)
Quite frankly, in my experience, gathering as much information from the internet is only going to confuse you more and is perhaps the worst way to choose a product. There is only one way to answer your questions and that is to try it yourself. Too many folks on the internet have their own agendas at the least, and are incompetent or deceitful at the worst. Not sure where you are located or your financial situation, but renting the cameras you are looking for is one solution, purchasing them from a reputable camera store that accepts returns is another. You can study and contemplate all day long, but until you use the camera in exactly the situations you intend to use them, you won't have an answer.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
That said, I'm troubled by the heat of my R5 for still shooting. On a warm day in a mostly shady back yard, I shot 192 still images in 16 minutes, following a 55 minute break after shooting a couple dozen images. That's 12 shots per minute.

It gets hot at the grip area. Uncomfortable enough that rotating to vertical to hold the battery grip is a relief. Enough to make one understand the concept of low-temperature burns. I shot some images with my phone using my Leupold LTO, which does not show absolute temps.

It shows the hot areas rear, with card extended, side, top and front.

The first impression is that the card is the "smoking gun" but it wasn't alarmingly hot more than the rest, and I suspect it just reflects interior temp, not the heat source.

View attachment 198737View attachment 198738View attachment 198739View attachment 198740
There is not one single well documented incident of an R5 ever overheating using stills only, and I haven’t seen a single account I would trust that shows even when an R5 is or has overheated the camera is bricked and you can’t continue taking stills.

If the gear is really frightening you you are in over your head, so either don’t do the job or rent what you need to do it effectively.
Shot a wedding last Saturday. Used the R5 and 1dx3. Started around 3 and finished around 9. High temps around 90 and out in the sun. Ended up with over 11,000 photos and not one overheating issue. Both cameras were left on the entire time. Both cameras were warm, but it was in the 90's or high 80's the entire time.

Upvote 0