The Coming EF-M Prime to be 50mm Equivalent for APS-C EOS M [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told that the EF-M prime coming later this year will be a “50mm equivalent” and “fast”. If we had to guess, it’s going to be en EF-M 35mm (56mm equivalent) f/1.4 or /1.8. We know for sure that it’s not a 30mm lens and that it’ll be faster than f/2. We don’t know if it’ll have IS at this time.</p>
<p>Until we know the speed for sure, we’ll keep this [CR2], but the lens is definitely coming. I expect the announcement for this lens to come before Photokina, which begins on September 25, 2018.</p>
<p>The only lenses coming ahead of CP+ will likely just be new kit lenses, so there’s nothing too exciting going on for February.</p>
<p>We’ll have more lens news about Photokina soon, and it’s going to be a pretty big deal.</p>
<p> </p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jun 9, 2017
Friend go theM5 yesterday. Sweet camera. The EVF is really cool and focus via the touchscreen on the EVF is comfortable.
Fokus peaking not as accurate as I thought it would be.
With the 22 f2 a small and capable package indeed.

I would guess 35 f 1.8 IS or something.
35 is too close to 22, without IS the distinction isnt really there in my eyes. Although I would prefer the 35 over the 22... I guess its a question of taste.
35 goes better with general purpose in my eyes, especially when it comes to more portrait-style pictures.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Me: "I really want an autofocusing EF 50mm lens."
Canon: "Here's a sweet 35L II. It's dope."

Canon: "Here's a sweet 85 f/1.4L IS. Shoot yetis in total darkness!"

Canon: "Here's a sweet 50 prime... but it's T/S so it has no autofocus, is f/2.8, costs a mint and weighs more than a 24-70 f/.8L II. But I'm pretty sure this is what you've always wanted."

Canon: "Here's a sweet 50 prime... equivalent on an EF-M. [snicker]"

The wait continues. Congrats for EF-M, though. I'm sure it will be a nice instrument.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Yasko said:
35 is too close to 22

That's like saying 50mm is too close to 35mm, so we don't need both. One is a normal lens, the other is a wide angle lens. That's why we have multiple 50mm choices (except the one ahsanford wants) and multiple 35mm choices in the EF lineup.

Agree -- I don't understand why this gets such static from the forum.

A basic set of (FF) primes for Canon would be 14 / 24 / 35 / 50 / 85 / 100 / 135 and so on. They don't have to be those FLs, but that's what many FF manufacturers sort of landed on over the years.

In crop, that means we should expect something like 9 / 15 / 22 / 32 / 53 / 60 / 85.

I disregard the macro f/3.5 as a proper prime -- I'm sure it's lovely but it's a macro tool in a separate column on the legder to me. So that means Canon needs to get cranking on EF-M primes. This is the first non-macro prime we've seen in EF-M since... the original 22mm pancake? Glad to see!

- A

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dear <a href="https://twitter.com/CanonUSA?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CanonUSA</a> , can you please hook our pal up with a new EF 50mm f/1.4, he&#39;ll even take a new 50L with a floating element , ahsanford&#39;s nearly decade long struggle is real. I pledge to buy him a copy when you bring what he needs to market. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/poorguy?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#poorguy</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GASisreal?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GASisreal</a> <a href="https://t.co/m7dQGS49Tp">pic.twitter.com/m7dQGS49Tp</a></p>&mdash; Canon Rumors (@canonrumorsguy) <a href="https://twitter.com/canonrumorsguy/status/958797537397260288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 31, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
neuroanatomist said:
Yasko said:
35 is too close to 22

That's like saying 50mm is too close to 35mm, so we don't need both. One is a normal lens, the other is a wide angle lens. That's why we have multiple 50mm choices (except the one ahsanford wants) and multiple 35mm choices in the EF lineup.

It's not like there is no justification. What I meant is that, regarding the current EF-M lineup in primes, I doubt it will be a sole 35 prime without IS because having a 22 and 35 prime without IS on an otherwise pretty empty market doesn't make so much sense to me.
Of course there still is an EF Adapter, but the M5 is most sexy with rather compact native lenses. Coming from a bigger 70D, that would be the reason why I would buy one. Not saying that I wouldn't like to put a big FF lens on it from time to time ;).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yasko said:
neuroanatomist said:
Yasko said:
35 is too close to 22

It's not like there is no justification. What I meant is that, regarding the current EF-M lineup in primes, I doubt it will be a sole 35 prime without IS because having a 22 and 35 prime without IS on an otherwise pretty empty market doesn't make so much sense to me.
Of course there still is an EF Adapter, but the M5 is most sexy with rather compact native lenses. Coming from a bigger 70D, that would be the reason why I would buy one. Not saying that I wouldn't like to put a big FF lens on it from time to time ;).

Got it, and I'd agree. 22/2 was a pancake design, kept as small as possible, no IS. 35mm EF-M likely not a pancake design (but still small), should have IS.

Upvote 0
Awesome! I'll pre-order when/if this is announced!

ahsanford said:

The wait continues. Congrats for EF-M, though. I'm sure it will be a nice instrument.

:) Crazy but true, unfortunately

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

Canon: "Here's a sweet 50 prime... but it's T/S so it has no autofocus, is f/2.8, costs a mint and weighs more than a 24-70 f/.8L II. But I'm pretty sure this is what you've always wanted."

- A

my goodness you're picky. Obviously Canon is trying. You should be more appreciative of their efforts. ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Ryananthony said:
ahsanford said:

- A

my goodness you're picky. Obviously Canon is trying. You should be more appreciative of their efforts. ;D

The next announcement from Canon will probably be for a 50mm mirror lens........

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Well, since Canon appears to be granting the first half of my wish:

"Since in my wildest dreams I would not have guessed that the second M prime offered would be an f/3.5, I shall refrain from prognostication. I'll just hope for an EF-M 32 f/1.8 IS and a EF-M 15-45 f/4.0 IS."

perhaps I'll get the zoom I long for as well. (And yes, the 32 f/1.8 will have IS)

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=34276.msg703165#msg703165

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Dear Canon,

I really really hope to see an EF-M 30 or 35mm f/1.4 lens like this one here:

1480351513000_839139.jpg

It's only 187g.

Please, pretty pretty please.

Cheerio

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:

- A

I'm so sorry for you :-\ what's wrong with the 50mm 1:1.4 and 50mm 1:1.2 L canon lenses ?

Upvote 0