The Next EOS M? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Lee Jay said:
The main thing I'd want if I were going to by an M is a standard zoom that folds entirely inside the body when not in use. Since I don't see that happening, I can't see this system ever becoming interesting.
Not likely to happen, the laws of physics are against it.

Interesting that they were able to do it with dozens of compact film cameras, that were necessarily full-frame and also carried a film transport mechanism!

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
24mp APS-C Sensor = no sale here

Canon might want to look around before they come to market.

Perhaps if they offered full frame instead of APS-C and fewer mp in exchange for a much higher ISO, they might have something.

They're not going to compete with Sony et al with this product, but they have the opportunity to compete with Leica etc. Especially at the proposed price point. And they can do it.

Repackage the 6D sensor perhaps?

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011
Dylan777 said:
FF sensor in compact body(like RX1) + pancake fast prime lenses(14,16,35,50,85,135, and or 200mm) = BIG SALE

mws said:
Yawn. If Canon would look to the RX1 for some inspiration, then I might consider it.

+1

A full frame mirrorless from Canon (with inrerchangable lens system), is my dream camera.

But Canon will never do it. They are too afraid of stepping on their own toes.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
TAF said:

Perhaps if they offered full frame instead of APS-C and fewer mp in exchange for a much higher ISO, they might have something.

They're not going to compete with Sony et al with this product, but they have the opportunity to compete with Leica etc. Especially at the proposed price point. And they can do it.

When are people going to give up this belief in the myth that high pixel counts mean high noise?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My EOS-M wishlist:

• More lenses.
  • Much faster AF.
  • Decent viewfinder.
  • Metabones-style speed booster. Turn my 50 F/1.4 into some F/0.9-ish 35mm-ish monster.

I won't echo everyone's calls for a FF sensor. EOS-M means the M mount, which means crop. Strongly recommend you don't hold your breath for an FF change for years from Canon, b/c that's how long it will take for them to build up a collection of EF-M lenses.

And even if they did make the FF mirrorless that many want, presumably taking native EF glass, it will be huuuuge -- as in comically large in size. One understands (though does not necessarily agree) why Sony went with a fixed lens on the RX1 -- it makes it smaller.

- A

Upvote 0
TAF said:

Might be wise to wait until the 24 mp sensor exists before slagging it.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
What is the market for this kind of cameras? Frankly here in Europe I don't see a real demand for relatively "entry level" mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. The people Canon aims this kind of camera to are usually happy with some fixed lens one with a decent zoom lens, which spares them the need to rummage inside a bag to get another lens and change it - and get also a bag to store lenses within. The Powershot G series covers that market already pretty well. IMHO the buyer of such cameras are those looking for something smaller/lighter than a DSLR to carry around as often as possible, with almost the same power. But they need a more powerful camera than the actual M is. If Canon delivers something with a good viewfinder - but please, not a "removable" one, such kind of cameras needs to be "simple" and fast to use - and a decent lens lineup I'll get one. I don't care if it is full frame or APS-C or whatever - I'll judge the versatility and image quality.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
What is the market for this kind of cameras? Frankly here in Europe I don't see a real demand for relatively "entry level" mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses. The people Canon aims this kind of camera to are usually happy with some fixed lens one with a decent zoom lens, which spares them the need to rummage inside a bag to get another lens and change it - and get also a bag to store lenses within. The Powershot G series covers that market already pretty well. IMHO the buyer of such cameras are those looking for something smaller/lighter than a DSLR to carry around as often as possible, with almost the same power. But they need a more powerful camera than the actual M is. If Canon delivers something with a good viewfinder - but please, not a "removable" one, such kind of cameras needs to be "simple" and fast to use - and a decent lens lineup I'll get one. I don't care if it is full frame or APS-C or whatever - I'll judge the versatility and image quality.

Unlike most people here, I've actually shot with an EOS M, both stills and video. While the autofocus for stills is barely adequate - I never use AF for video anyway - image quality is excellent. The M just needs a few usability tweaks, better AF and an expanded suite of lenses and, for those who actually take pictures rather than look at test charts and spec sheets, it will be a winner. It will never replace my DSLRs but as a light-weight, walk-around rig it has great potential. I'll be ordering the next model as soon as it's announced.

Upvote 0
Both Canon and Nikon are living in the past -- building cameras for markets that don't exist anymore.

There is NO demand for compact P&S and none for step-up cameras. They have been replaced by smart-phones.

There IS a demand for small/light high-end cameras with a good selection of lenses. So what does Canon deliver ??? An under-featured and over-priced EOS M. Soon to be joined by another under-featured camera priced higher than the Sony NEX-6. WTF is going on ???

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
c.d.embrey said:
There is NO demand for compact P&S and none for step-up cameras. They have been replaced by smart-phones.

As long as smartphone cameras are permanently stuck around 28mm, I and many others that are even slightly interested in photography will continue to use compact cameras instead. I keep a compact in the same pocket as my Galaxy S3 and never use the camera on the phone.

Upvote 0
mdrewpix said:
It will never replace my DSLRs but as a light-weight, walk-around rig it has great potential. I'll be ordering the next model as soon as it's announced.

While shooting video the auto-focus of my Sony NEX-5n will keep a person in focus as they walk around a room, no problem :)

The Panasonic GH3 has better video specs than a 5D3 -- 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL) progressive recording
72Mbps (ALL-Intra) in MOV format ,for only $300.00 more that the rumored price of an EOS M2. Canon needs to wake up and see what the competition is delivering.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
As long as smartphone cameras are permanently stuck around 28mm, I and many others that are even slightly interested in photography will continue to use compact cameras instead. I keep a compact in the same pocket as my Galaxy S3 and never use the camera on the phone.

People are lining up to pay big-bux for the Sony RX1 with a permanently attached 28mm f/2.0 lens ;)

My walk-around camera is a .7Mpx iPod Touch 4G :)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
c.d.embrey said:
Lee Jay said:

People are lining up to pay big-bux for the Sony RX1 with a permanently attached 28mm f/2.0 lens ;)

Which is only slightly less useless than a cell phone.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
LukieLauXD said:
Don Haines said:
LukieLauXD said:
Got my pitchfork ready. Any other 1st Generation EOS M owners want to join me in angrily marching on Canon's Headquarters?

:mad:
I don't understand... Could you explain? This is not sarcasm or trolling.... I really don't understand and hope you can explain it to me.

Got my M back in January because I was hoping that the firmware would be able to fix up the autofocus, but turns out it couldn't. T_T
I understand now. If I were in your shoes I'd be mad too. I like the idea of mirrorless but stay away because of the focus problems.

Upvote 0
c.d.embrey said:
mdrewpix said:
It will never replace my DSLRs but as a light-weight, walk-around rig it has great potential. I'll be ordering the next model as soon as it's announced.

While shooting video the auto-focus of my Sony NEX-5n will keep a person in focus as they walk around a room, no problem :)

The Panasonic GH3 has better video specs than a 5D3 -- 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL) progressive recording
72Mbps (ALL-Intra) in MOV format ,for only $300.00 more that the rumored price of an EOS M2. Canon needs to wake up and see what the competition is delivering.

You missed my point a bit. I don't want autofocus for video. For the kinds of things I do, autofocus can often be more of a hindrance than a help. I'm glad your Sony can AF for you and if the M will AF with the kit lens in video mode, well, that's good. But I'll keep it shut off. Just works better for me that way.
And as far as the GH3 vs 5D III - unless you've shot with both of them and can back up your statement, your opinion is irrelevant. I'm a photographer for a daily newspaper and I own a 5D III. I shoot stills and video with it on a daily basis. If the GH3 truly is better, it must be a miraculous machine.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Lee Jay said:
c.d.embrey said:
Lee Jay said:
Which is only slightly less useless than a cell phone.
What we REALLY need is the next Canon M to be a camera that makes phone calls... 8)

-PW

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.