The rift between the vocal "ISOers" and the "MPers"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
There was a topic here a little while ago, however it seems to have been deleted. It reiterated a growing theme that I've been observing here since I joined, and in larger scope across the net in general. I think is high time the highly vocal opinions of the Pro-ISO Anti-MP crowd be re'butted. As someone who understands the value of BOTH improvements to ISO and continued increases to MP, and is sick and tired of getting beaten down (and seeing others beaten down) by the ISO crowd, here is my reply to that deleted topic, as it was directed at the ISO crowd in general:

First off, I hear the term "bragging" thrown around a lot by people who seem to abhor continued increases in MP count. That term is completely inappropriate, and entirely unwarranted. I can't recall the last time I ever actually heard ANYONE brag about ANY of their gear. I've never once encountered a professional photographer who "laughed" at my gear, inwardly or otherwise. At worst, I've had some very enlightening debates about the merit of large format film (i.e. Velvia 50 4x5) and drum scans over digital, and learned a few interesting things about digital full-frame mosaic photography that can produce images just as high or higher resolution as a 300dpi 4x5 scan with FAR GREATER clarity! Perhaps I simply hang out amongst more mature crowds, I can't be sure, but its not about bragging rights. It is, quite literally and truthfully, about NEEDS. It doesn't matter if those needs are from a professional or a hardcore hobbyist! Just because someone is serious about their hobby doesn't nullify their NEEDS! The far-too-oft spouted "If you need more MP, get a digital MF!! Stop bitching!" is REALLY getting old! The Pentax 645D is the cheapest option out there, and the body alone costs ten grand!! Thats nothing to speak of the need to reinvest in a whole new line of lenses and accessory gear!! The cost of upgrading to MF is EXCESSIVE and almost incomprehensible, even for many professionals who don't have fifty to a hundred grand to drop on an entirely new brand and type of gear. So, "Stop bitching, get digital MF" is one of the most naive responses the i-hate-more-mp crowd has conjured up.

Second, there IS a measurable, demonstrable benefit from increases in MP, up to the levels we have today. Mathematically and physically, it can be demonstrated (or simply concluded, if you prefer) that CONTINUED increases to MP can STILL produce benefit. From the standpoint of FF sensors, were a long way from being maxed out. There is no reason to assume that continued increases in FF pixel density will increase noise when you factor in improved manufacturing techniques, better sensor design and layout, purer materials, etc. When you consider that current top of the line 18-24mp APS-C sensors are equivalent in density to 46.7-56.7mp FF sensors, and the quality people are eeking out of the 7D is STUNNING (http://500px.com/alwaysbj182), its hard to argue that high density sensors "suck and only produce unacceptable noise". A FF with 46-56mp is more than DOUBLE the current pixel density we have now with 21-24mp FF sensors from Canon and Sony...LOTS of room to grow there. Its a demonstrated fact (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=747761) that everything else being equal and without significantly out-resolving the lens, more MP means more actual resolution. In the case of Canon, with their mRAW and sRAW formats (which utilize more bayer pixel information per RGB pixel, producing a clearer, cleaner output akin to Foveon sensors), continued benefit could be gained well beyond the point where we out-resolve the physical maximum resolution of a "perfect" lens.

Finally, we have to put to rest that continued advancement on digital technology on ALL fronts INCLUDING resolution is a "waste", and that only improvement to ISO really matters anymore. Compare nature documentaries from merely a decade ago, and from the decade before that, to the unfathomable quality, both artistically and technically, that the BBC has been pumping out since Planet Earth and the advent of high resolution ultra high speed digital cinematography gear. Combine highly skilled cinematographers who are true artisans, possibly some of the greatest artists alive in the world today, with that incredibly advanced technology that many people would have called completely unnecessary a decade or two ago (and many who quite possibly still do today)...and you get something mindblowingly phenomenal. This ideology that what we have now is enough, that no more MP is necessary, that only better low-noise high ISO will ever help anybody else ever again, is about as naive as it gets! MP is just as important as ISO, just as important as reducing noise, just as important as improving optical resolution, just as important as improving the fundamental technology of the sensor itself (such as readout wiring, readout rate, etc.) Its all important!

As someone who wants it all...better ISO AS WELL AS more MP, I'm sick and tired of being considered a bragging fool by the "stop bitching, all you need is ISO, get digital MF!" camp. Not everyone needs astounding high-ISO performance at 52,100 and beyond. Not everyone needs a 14fps frame rate that might cause anime lovers to blush! Not everyone needs professional-grade video recording capabilities in every single one of their DSLR's. Not everyone needs extremely high resolution, either. Advancement needs to occur on all fronts, to meet the needs of everyone, and having one camp continually complain about another camp when they voice their opinions is nonconstructive and fundamentally annoying. Stop it.

As I've said many times - MP and high ISO capability go hand-in-hand. Lowering MP to improve ISO cleanliness is simply rebalancing two parameters, but it isn't done in a vacuum, with no other variables affecting MP and ISO.

With this in mind, it's helpful to remember that high MP shots are often not the first goal of many shooters, either. I've seen claims that one can shoot a two-page spread with "just" 3 MP, and the higher pixel counts also directly impact many other things a PJ prefers negatively - number of shots remaining on the card and in the internal camera buffer (for bursts) especially. A camera shooting smaller files could theoretically shoot them faster as well (in practice the shutter mechanism seems to be a limiting factor for the highest FPS cameras, i.e. the 1D X). So for these photographers, the balance between ISO and MP is naturally weighted towards ISO.

In truth, I think that landscape or studio photographers can get away with a bit less in the way of ergonomics than sports / PJ / wildlife photographers do, so there doesn't seem to be a huge problem for most users in having the 'top of the line' cameras weighted towards ISO and having some of the "cheaper" full-frames keep high MP.

Of course there are many whose shooting styles do not allow this (many wildlife photographers and enthusiasts, like myself, put a premium on both dense pixel counts and high ISO capability, to get the most out of lenses and challenging lighting).

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
briansquibb said:
It has been the case that the higher ISO the lower the IQ. With the advent of cleaner high ISO where is the break point where high ISO really affects the IQ?

From what I've read about Sony's sensors, and some tidbits I've read or speculated about Canon's 1DX sensor, I think its a bit of a circuit ordering problem. Sony changed some of the electronics the readout circuitry in their sensors to order ADC and amplification in such a way as it amplified at the point where electronic noise from the whole circuit was lowest. I think Canon has done the same thing with their new 1DX sensor, as reading about how they handled ISO for their previous sensors clearly indicated that there was a circuitry ordering issue that caused a lot of the noise (that, and they only seemed to use analog amplification at full-stop settings, effectively "cheating" for 1/3 stop settings, pushing or pulling exposure and possibly enhancing noise at some low settings so it appeared worse than at higher settings.) If Canon has really made ISO52100 as clean as prior ISO6400, given how noisy ISO3200 and 6400 are on current sensors like the 1DsIII/5DII sensor, then I would guess that the IQ limit is somewhere around 12800/25600 with 1DX-style sensors.

Some noise simply can't be controlled, like photon-shot noise. Some noise seems to be controllable by building the ADC and amplification circuitry such that amplification occurs when electronic noise in the read circuit is at its lowest. Thermal noise could be controlled either by developing more effective methods to draw heat away from the sensor and image processing units (and any other heat-generating circuits), or by including active cooling technology (i.e. maybe a peltier and fancy heat sinks or heat pipes).

I think noise management is an area that will boom for a while, now that its an area of growing competition. One thing about manufacturers, particularly the biggest ones like Canon...they tend to sit on existing tech as long as they possibly can to eek as much out of it as they can before investing in new tech when there isn't enough competitive pressure. In Canon's case, they seem to have waited as long as they possibly can before introducing something new (which gives them the benefit of hindsight vs. their competitors, and the drawback of not appearing to innovate as much). In Nikon's case, they seem to have shifted to using Sony sensors in some of their newer products, offloading the burden of having to deal with innovating sensors at all (which gave them the benefit of more time to focus on everything else they do control, such as AF and metering systems, ergonomics, expanding into new mirrorless markets, etc.)

To me, the recent innovations in ISO performance and reducing noise is a complementary factor to continuing to push resolution and readout rate, improving AF and metering sensors, etc. I don't see any reason it has to take the place of continued increases to megapixels...the two should progress simultaneously.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Edwin Herdman said:
A camera shooting smaller files could theoretically shoot them faster as well (in practice the shutter mechanism seems to be a limiting factor for the highest FPS cameras, i.e. the 1D X). So for these photographers, the balance between ISO and MP is naturally weighted towards ISO.

As I understand it, the 1DX uses some kind of automatic continuous mirror lockup for their highest framerates. If that is indeed the case, mirror flap rate wouldn't be the limiting factor. That would leave the rate at which they can fully read all the pixels off the sensor, convert, amplify, and process them into an image, and save that image to flash the limiting factors. Since we have something to the tune of 100mbs CF cards these days, I don't think the write speed of the flash itself is the primary limiting factor. Image processing with two dedicated DIGIC 5+ chips probably aren't significant limiting factors either, since it would alternate between them. That leaves the sensor itself as a key limiting factor for FPS. (This is of course largely speculative, but I think its logical.)

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I am look at it from a practical point of view.

It was well documented in this site that 7D at low ISO is more noisy that the 12MP XSi ( both straight out of the camera in jpeg format). After post processing the Noise is much lower for the 7D. Sure, high MP will give us more information with more noise and slow down both the camera anfd the computer at the same time. How many of us will constantly made 40" X 60" prints?? How many of us are willing to sit in front of the computer and do post processing for every picture that has been taken?? At that same time, most of us will like a DSLR body with the feature of a 7D or more if we can at the same time most of us are not willing (or able ) to pay for a 18 MP FF 1Dx.

So, for me the happy medium may be a 10-12 Mp APS-C or 21-24 MP FF, both with the lastest sensor technology. Either one will give me low noise at low ISO in jpeg ,straight out from the camera, without any post processing. The high ISO performance is just a bonus. If the technology has been advanced to a point that high MP will give us low noise without degrading the detail, then I will be glad to take both high mp and low noise at the same time. Even then I will need a 10GHz CPU in my computer to keep up.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Rocky said:
I am look at it from a practical point of view.

It was well documented in this site that 7D at low ISO is more noisy that the 12MP XSi ( both straight out of the camera in jpeg format). After post processing the Noise is much lower for the 7D. Sure, high MP will give us more information with more noise and slow down both the camera anfd the computer at the same time. How many of us will constantly made 40" X 60" prints?? How many of us are willing to sit in front of the computer and do post processing for every picture that has been taken?? At that same time, most of us will like a DSLR body with the feature of a 7D or more if we can at the same time most of us are not willing (or able ) to pay for a 18 MP FF 1Dx.

So, for me the happy medium may be a 10-12 Mp APS-C or 21-24 MP FF, both with the lastest sensor technology. Either one will give me low noise at low ISO in jpeg ,straight out from the camera, without any post processing. The high ISO performance is just a bonus. If the technology has been advanced to a point that high MP will give us low noise without degrading the detail, then I will be glad to take both high mp and low noise at the same time. Even then I will need a 10GHz CPU in my computer to keep up.

Well I for 1 shoot in RAW and post process each image. That is why people have batch programs to do it for us rather than on a one by one basis (such as DPP, Lightroom, DxO etc etc)

The only people that seem to have a real reason to shoot in jpeg are the sports journos who transmit as fast as they take - pp is done by the editorial staff.

High MP is required for people to crop. I take a lot of pictures nowadays in 16:9 aspect ratio so throw away a lot of mp when cropping from 3:2. My 18mp turns into about 12mp for full frame shots.

Shooting at low ISO is highly desirable - however it isn't always possible, such as wildlifing at dawn/dusk or indoors/concerts etc where higher iso is needed to keep up the shutter speed.

Modern day PC's do have the processing power, such as the i5/i7 and the software has kept up with efficient multithreading to maximise the power. 64 bit apps give the memory space to process huge images.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

candyman said:
briansquibb said:
I take a lot of pictures nowadays in 16:9 aspect ratio so throw away a lot of mp when cropping from 3:2.

Interesting. Can you describe what you do? I like to learn.

When I compose I leave space at the top/bottom then crop in pp. You can use the full width.

I do this so people can use my photos as wallpaper. They like to display the family/pets etc. Widescreens are 16:9 regardless of which hd the display.

This is also a good, default, landscape aspect ratio too as a bonus

Image below is just an example, nothing special

Attachments

• B09G6773wsx.jpg
    B09G6773wsx.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,048
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
briansquibb said:
candyman said:
briansquibb said:
I take a lot of pictures nowadays in 16:9 aspect ratio so throw away a lot of mp when cropping from 3:2.

Interesting. Can you describe what you do? I like to learn.

When I compose I leave space at the top/bottom then crop in pp. You can use the full width.

I do this so people can use my photos as wallpaper. They like to display the family/pets etc. Widescreens are 16:9 regardless of which hd the display.

This is also a good, default, landscape aspect ratio too as a bonus

Image below is just an example, nothing special

I understand. So you compose the photo in a way that you can cut it 16:9.
So no "tricks" with multiple photos merged to a 16:9 panorama

Thanks for your reply

Upvote 0
Rocky posed the question earlier:

"Who wants to spend all day in front of the computer" and then used that to argue for a 21 to 24 MP imit on full frame. I can tell him that I for one, as a keen amateur, am perfectly happy to have the very highest quality RAW (sorry, never shoot jpeg) files and then its my decision whether to spend time on the image in Photoshop. I have never understood why the "high ISO/low MP" users don't see that.

I certainly am keen on improving DR and noise at low ISO levels, but ISO speeds have gone beyond a joke and are ridiculous in the latest cameras.

Upvote 0
T

tjshot

jrista said:
Second, there IS a measurable, demonstrable benefit from increases in MP, up to the levels we have today. Mathematically and physically, it can be demonstrated (or simply concluded, if you prefer) that CONTINUED increases to MP can STILL produce benefit. From the standpoint of FF sensors, were a long way from being maxed out. There is no reason to assume that continued increases in FF pixel density will increase noise when you factor in improved manufacturing techniques, better sensor design and layout, purer materials, etc. When you consider that current top of the line 18-24mp APS-C sensors are equivalent in density to 46.7-56.7mp FF sensors, and the quality people are eeking out of the 7D is STUNNING (http://500px.com/alwaysbj182), its hard to argue that high density sensors "suck and only produce unacceptable noise". A FF with 46-56mp is more than DOUBLE the current pixel density we have now with 21-24mp FF sensors from Canon and Sony...LOTS of room to grow there. Its a demonstrated fact (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=747761) that everything else being equal and without significantly out-resolving the lens, more MP means more actual resolution. In the case of Canon, with their mRAW and sRAW formats (which utilize more bayer pixel information per RGB pixel, producing a clearer, cleaner output akin to Foveon sensors), continued benefit could be gained well beyond the point where we out-resolve the physical maximum resolution of a "perfect" lens.

I agree.
More megapixel actually means better contrast, even when operating beyond diffraction limit for a sensor; it's mostly due to better sharpening potential.
I've proposed a quantification of effective performance increase upgrading from 21 Mpxls full frame to 32-36 Mpxls and 50 Mpxls, both in terms of contrast (MTF50%) and resolution (MTF 10%) in the digital image and in the final print, for different enlargements.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,2412.0.html

Results are interesting: even in the final print, where printer performance limits the quality boost from a denser sensor, in optimal conditions, a 50 Mpxls full frame will perform at size A2 like a 21 Mpxls one (actual EOS 5d MKII) at size A3.
A more stringent DoF requirement being the only real issue, but still manageable with proper sharpening.
That's a very relevant performance boost.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
As someone who wants it all...better ISO AS WELL AS more MP... Advancement needs to occur on all fronts, to meet the needs of everyone, and having one camp continually complain about another camp when they voice their opinions is nonconstructive and fundamentally annoying. Stop it.

There have been a number of posts explaining the physics of why higher MP does not automatically result in lower IQ (either noise or DR). To me, the question is not whether it can be done, but whether it can be done at comparable price. It seems to be true that smaller electronic structures are more expensive to design and manufacture.

Can we have it all? Sure, for a price. However, if I had to strike the balance at my price point, I would rather have IQ (especially DR).

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
jrista said:
As someone who wants it all...better ISO AS WELL AS more MP... Advancement needs to occur on all fronts, to meet the needs of everyone, and having one camp continually complain about another camp when they voice their opinions is nonconstructive and fundamentally annoying. Stop it.

There have been a number of posts explaining the physics of why higher MP does not automatically result in lower IQ (either noise or DR). To me, the question is not whether it can be done, but whether it can be done at comparable price. It seems to be true that smaller electronic structures are more expensive to design and manufacture.

Can we have it all? Sure, for a price. However, if I had to strike the balance at my price point, I would rather have IQ (especially DR).

Heck, I could argue that's what canon has been doing for the last past decade... every models (or every other in the xxd line) has seen upgrades in MP and also has had better high ISO (albeit perhaps not as good low ISO to some people)... I remember on my 6MP 10D i used to have, anything over 1000 ISO looked like film 1000 ISO... looked horrible, like someone sneezed on the camera... now i wouldn't think twice shooting ISO 1600 on my 18MP 7d... I'll give you there are two separate generations and refinements of technology yada yada yada... just saying..

Upvote 0
C

celliottuk

I'm an ISO'er.
50% of what I do is shooting Rock bands. The headline acts are always well illuminated and never an issue, but the guys who come on first sometimes get nothing more than 1 red and 1 green 100W "floodlight", and an occasional other 100W light rotating through colours .
To be able to capture them with minimal blur and noise would make them, and me, very happy
The other 50% is Birds in Flight. Again, shooting between April and September is no problem, but for the winter....Unless it's one of those rare bright blue days, or it's snowed, I leave my camera at home

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
scottsdaleriots said:
I'm one of those "MPers", that said I would be satisfied nif the 5dmkIII was 25MP. Although it'd be better to combine the two - high MP and high, clean ISO without losing image quality. But hey, we can't have it both ways (maybe in the next 10-15 years we can). Just my 2 cents

What type of improvement can be expected, knowing that I am talking about a phantom body, given that an D800 equivalent of the rumored 5D3 might have 36 MP. Compared to a still to be released 1DX, what is the compromise? Will 36 MP on 5D3 yield one stop high ISO improvement at RAW over 5Dii applying the new sensor technique? Or is that unlikely combined with such an MP number?

I am no tech, therefore the question.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.