The sensor in the upcoming Canon EOS R3 is designed and manufactured by Canon

None of their cameras with 1" sensors are their own, they are Sony's.
None of Canon's 1" sensor cameras have Dual Pixel Autofocus.

Like other current Canon ASP-C and FF cameras, the R3 will have Dual Pixel Autofocus, according to Canon's press release. No Sony APS-C or FF camera has Dual Pixel Autofocus, so this sensor won't come from Sony.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
Good to know that Canon developed and manufactured this sensor. I would expect all sensors going forward to be either BSI or BSI/stacked going forward.
I understand both BSI and BSI/stacked are both more expensive sensor technologies so there could be a place for conventional sensors such as the R5 sensor in the market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
None of their cameras with 1" sensors are their own, they are Sony's.
It was never all of them but now that all of Canon's new camcorders have Canon sensors I am not sure why they can't do the same with point and shoots.
I could see Canon not caring very much about point and shoots but the Canon sensors have much better autofocus which is something people expect from Canon cameras.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Who the F cares which company made the sensor. WTF is the resolution of the sensor? Every a**hole is telling us every stupid thing other than the most important information i.e. the resolution
If the resolution is the most important thing for you then it probably isn't the camera for you!

If the fact that it has 1 series AF controls and more, it takes 1 series batteries, it has faster fps than the 1DX III, it takes durability to new levels for the R system, it has all the connection capabilities the 1DX III has when the 1DX III has a $700 dongle on its side, etc etc, then it is probably the camera for you.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
The reasoning is just ridiculous. Let's pretend that it is true that Canon designed the sensor and Sony manufactured it. Thst would still be a Canon sensor, not a Sony sensor. AMD doesn't manufacture its processors, they hire TSMC to manufacture them. They certainly are not TSMC processors. Intel also manufactures a lot of chips at TSMC and will soon shift some core processors to TSMC. That still makes them Intel processors.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I believe it's a kind of a basic (herd-like) instinct. The same phenomenon can be observed in car industry (Toyota dared to design cars with BMW and Subaru, in basketball/soccer (to name a few) when players change teams leaving the fans in limbo, etc.).
Toyota with BMW or Subaru is not the right analogy. In the BMW situation, Toyota outsourced parts to build their Supra. They had no design involvement from BMW. The Supra wasn't co-developed with BMW. The Z4 didn't have Toyota involvement. It's just Toyota being realistic and wanting to bring a sports car to market in an environment where sports cars don't make economic sense. So instead of spending hundreds of millions making an inline-6 engine, just pick from the many inline-6 engines that BMW makes. The Supra literally has BMW parts inside of it. In terms of the Toyota 86 versus Subaru BR-Z, there was true cooperation and co-designing with intermingling of parts from both companies.

To make the fake story work would be something like Canon going to Sony and saying, "hey I need a sensor. what sensors do you have for me to buy so I can sell a camera?" This is entirely not what is happening with the R3. Canon is not putting a Sony sensor in any of their cameras. And even if Canon decided to have Sony manufacture a Canon-designed sensor (which they're not), that does not make it a Sony sensor. It would just be using Sony as a manufacturer.

Apple would be more like what people are thinking. When Apple makes a laptop, the screen may come from Samsung or LG. The RAM may come from Samsung or Micron. The SSD may come from Samsung. etc. etc. So the new CPU/GPU is entirely an Apple CPU/GPU even though Apple doesn't manufacture it. Apple does use Sony camera sensors. Apple goes to Sony and says, "hey, we need these specs in a camera sensor, what do you have to offer?" Does anyone actually believe that Canon is doing that?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I believe brand-identity is , for customers, at least psychologically , important in the "high-end" segment.
While it's easy to sell a Toyota with a BMW engine, it just won't work the other way. And who would ever buy a Rolex with a Swatch Group work, even if excellent ?
The question is how a Canon customer, ready to shell out a few thousand $, would appreciate his camera to be fitted with a sensor made by a company he dislikes. Whether this would impact sales in the long term, I doubt... Yet, it could be perceived a a proof of "4 letters' " superiority over one's favorite brand.
That's why, in my opinion, it's good news the R3 has a Canon sensor as this fact will also mute the Youtube "4 letter" lovers......

Upvote 0
Not surprising that rumor made it's rounds. Seems like it was mainly propagated by the admin/owner of the sonyalpharumors site. He's not exactly known for his reputation of providing factual, truthful information. Seems to have a hate on for Canon honestly.

When I was a Sony shooter (well, still have some of the equipment), that site and his attitude (regularly using profanity in posts, posting anything and everything, regardless of factfulness, attacking the competition in a biased, immature way) always left a bitter taste in my mouth. Quite honestly he's one of the things that turned me off of Sony. So much hate perpetuated from that site.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
If the fact that it has 1 series AF controls and more, it takes 1 series batteries, it has faster fps than the 1DX III, it takes durability to new levels for the R system, it has all the connection capabilities the 1DX III has when the 1DX III has a $700 dongle on its side, etc etc, then it is probably the camera for you.
Oh how I hope this thing is expensive beyond my reach...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Funny how some folks would rather believe Canon lied to them (the official development announcement clearly stated that the sensor was designed and manufactured by Canon) than accept that Sony might have some real competition to deal with.

But Canon has already made great progress with the 90D/1DX III sensors and even more the R5. And they've had tons of patents on newer technologies. It should really not be that surprising to see the leading manufacturer accomplish something with all their R&D money.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0