There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

Nov 1, 2012
There are three variables ss, aperture, iso, in manual there is no EC. In an auto or 'semi' auto mode there are zero, one or two variables set by the user and EC so again a maximum of three variables.

it never ceases to amaze me how complicated people make changing three values.

I think it'd be great idea to create diagram, maybe like square but with 3 corners. And place each value on those corners to show how they impact each other. We could call it three cornered square of illumination.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
One thing is certain: Canon wouldn't be making f/7.1 L zooms and f/11 primes if they didn't have insane (as in industry-shaking) improvements in store for high ISO noise. Canon must have achieved current f/5.6-level IQ at f/11. So that's the amount of light/improvement we're talking about here – at minimum, IMO.
That would certainly be a crazy achievement. I did not think there was that much room for improvement in current sensor tech. And it would absolutely change my mind about the f11 primes.

Upvote 0
Say the camera is 45MP I would like to see as a photographer to chose what raw file size I would want. If I wanted a 20 MP or a 30MP depending on my job I would like to decide to pick the file size to save storage space and to speed up my computer. Second I would like to see the new Canon to shoot incredible great pictures with no noticeable noise in low light conditions.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think it'd be great idea to create diagram, maybe like square but with 3 corners. And place each value on those corners to show how they impact each other. We could call it three cornered square of illumination.
Now that is very original idea, I wonder if it could catch on, maybe put some work into the name? ;)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm not upset, just genuinely perplexed. The canon cripple hammer meme didn't come out of nowhere, but if so many Canon fans find it objectionable to offer even mild criticism of their favoured brand, I think I see why Canon has gotten away with it for so long (that and owning 50% of the market).
I was just providing context for why your valid and indeed minor criticism may have provoked an unwarranted response.

There certainly are Canon users that get overly defensive. But there really are a ton of folks who's only contribution to the forum is projecting what they value in a camera to everybody else and talking down to the people who have different values. My point is simply that I would not put too much weight on one comment that seems to have mistaken you for one of those people. Which you don't seem to do anyway, so that's fine. Many of us simply grew quite tired over being told how much greener the Grass is elsewhere with sometimes silly arguments.

Disagreeing with claims that Canon's DR is terrible or that they are doomed is not about loyalty. It's just about acknowledging that everybody has their set of preferences.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Say the camera is 45MP I would like to see as a photographer to chose what raw file size I would want. If I wanted a 20 MP or a 30MP depending on my job I would like to decide to pick the file size to save storage space and to speed up my computer. Second I would like to see the new Canon to shoot incredible great pictures with no noticeable noise in low light conditions.

I don't understand the logic here - why this would be a function if the camera can work at it's fastest frame rate? the goal is data capture, so the more you can get out of one exposure the better, and just crop afterwards?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Here is my guess for the "major new feature":
- Sensor cooling with Peltier -
-- major leap in noise reduction
Only for very slow shutter speeds.

Besides, a Peltier element makes extra heat to dissipate.

With that feature, all of the sudden the new super tele primes with f/11 make sense:
Only if you use them as astro lenses (on an equatorial mount).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I think maybe 1 stop improvement is possible but even that is a bit of stretch in my opinion.
Yeah. I think it is pushing the hopes as well. Unless canon have developed a new type of sensor that nobody has thought of before. And if they have I could not imagine how they kept it quiet from the world

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Convenience of not switching the meanings of dials when you switch modes.
Balanced against the comparative complexity of working four dials when in general one or two does the job pretty well and is easier to learn?

Personally I shoot 90% of the time in manual so almost never need EC, however in dynamic situations I like to use auto iso with shutter and aperture dials and a separate EC dial, I really like the way the M5 is laid out for this. I also find the Nikon thumb wheel more intuitive than the Canon scroll pad but find the Nikon's too fat.

I do agree that in more recent times as iso has become a more genuine variable (back in the film days we were pretty committed to a set value) the idea of the ideal control interface has become more complex, but maybe I just see things more simply rather than trying to complicate stuff.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Yeah. I think it is pushing the hopes as well. Unless canon have developed a new type of sensor that nobody has thought of before. And if they have I could not imagine how they kept it quiet from the world

Hopefully something will be implemented from all those sensor patents Canon had over the last few years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I'm sorry, we seem to be talking about completely different things here, I am not communicating the question I have for you in a way you can reply. Your reply didn't relate to my question.

May be I didn't explain clearly.

You questioned why I would move ISO if it's in Auto. I ONLY set the ISO to Auto when shooting portrait and events with natural light and will not change the ISO. I would use manual ISO when using flash.

I like the ability to change the ISO from Auto to whatever the value when shooting landscape. So the 4th dial is handly for me. 1 for Aperture, 1 for Shutterspeed, and 1 for exposure compensation.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Upvote 0