There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I think we can all appreciate that Canon Rumors' success rate with rumors recently has been very high. If it's listed as a CR2 then that's the highest level of rumor below "FACT".

You may *hope* than the 5D5 is happening, but I'd trust CR on this one.

Fortunately your current DSLRs will continue to work fine if you don't want to switch to mirrorless. As far as I know Canon are still building 5DIVs if you need a new one.

I'm not butt hurt or screaming into a pillow or anything. My next camera will be mirrorless, personally.

But I am not one of the army of working professionals at weddings toting a 5D today. I think saying goodbye to that brand that quickly would be a mistake, but I don't have Canon's internal numbers to say 'See, look how many there are!'.

- A

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon must have an absolute crap-ton of confidence in the R5/R6 then. Any big moves with a cornerstone product like the 5D series is going to be done at the risk of polarizing current users.

Some will be excited for the change, some will begrudgingly transition, while others will not be quite ready to transition and maybe hold on to their old gear, or consider a different product. Canon appears to be gambling that the R5 will bring in more people than the 5D would, and that is a tall order considering the 5D has been such a key line for professional users.

Good insights.

Agree, it's either R5 pre-sales are beating plan (which is being interpreted as no longer needing the 5D line), or Canon wants to dangle such a rumor to convince us that waiting for a 5D5 will be fruitless.

Very well could be the former, though. Canon knew their pro staple 5D line would eventually go away, but it's possible that the timing of its exodus was built into various permutations of the R5 rollout. If the R5 blows up huge commercially, they can retire the 5D line sooner.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Part of me is sad to see the 5D line go, but another part of me couldn't care less... because I have no intention of owning another DSLR.

Just saying that still feels weird...but one look at my gear shelf and my entire inventory of DSLRs has been replaced and greatly surpassed by mirrorless cameras.

The lone survivor for me is my 1DX Mark II. Now that's potentially going to be replaced by the R5? It will all depend on battery life. Haha

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Part of me is sad to see the 5D line go, but another part of me couldn't care less... because I have no intention of owning another DSLR.

Just saying that still feels weird...but one look at my gear shelf and my entire inventory of DSLRs has been replaced and greatly surpassed by mirrorless cameras.

The lone survivor for me is my 1DX Mark II. Now that's potentially going to be replaced by the R5? It will all depend on battery life. Haha

Your signature is stuff of legends

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If you're Canon, what secures your future better. Producing two cameras that are functionally the same spec wise, but in different bodies, requiring two production and assembly lines or the efficiencies of scale of just one? Especially when that one product pushes people to purchase new lenses as well.

But this presumes that:

1) 5D users won't leave to another company that is still putting out modern SLRs.

2) Taking away mirrors will successfully prod photographers into going mirrorless. Some folks may just fold their arms and keep shooting with their 5D4s.

I"m not saying killing off the 5D line won't work -- it's inevitable, of course. But I just thought we'd get one more body before they did it. It's brazen to the point of arrogance for Canon to say '5D users want 45 x 20, IBIS and a tilty-flippy badly enough that they will pitch the mirror to get it rather than leave us altogether.'

...and Canon is many things, but they are neither cocky nor abrupt. Which means R5 pre-sales are possibly through the roof, and now they have some data-driven confidence that they can telegraph to us that the 5D's days are numbered.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm not butt hurt or screaming into a pillow or anything. My next camera will be mirrorless, personally.

But I am not one of the army of working professionals at weddings toting a 5D today. I think saying goodbye to that brand that quickly would be a mistake, but I don't have Canon's internal numbers to say 'See, look how many there are!'.

- A
I agree that sunsetting the 5D right now seems off. I had always (maybe erroneously) thought the 5D series was a big piece of Canon's bread and butter, and messing with a formula that works seems to me to be a a very un-Canon thing to do. That makes me think that if this is legit, then either Canon are truly changing philosophy or truly think that this body is a spiritual successor to the 5D series and that current 5D users will see that if they try it.

It's a huge gamble though. What if Canon's bet is off base, and those working professionals demand that OVF and will not cough up for a 1DXIII - do they look to a Nikon D850 even though it's a bit old(ish), or do they snap up some cheap 5D IVs for the next 4 years until they're ready to transition? I'm sure canon's internal numbers give insight int buying behaviour, but no-matter how you slice it, killing off the 5D for anything is a massive leap. Maybe their numbers suggested the 1D users would jump ship if that transition was too abrupt (hence the decision for another 1-series) where the 5D users were more accepting.

I need to get one of these R5's in my grubby little hands to get a real feel for this!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
heck Canon can just release a 5DMk4.1 and those DSLR ppl will still be ok with it. Just keep the same body, upgrade the internals, and call it a day. Easy $$.

There is nothing '4.1' at all about jumping from 30 x 7 to 45 x 20 / IBIS / tilty-flippy. That''s practically a Mk VII at the rate the 5D has improved it's specs historically. :p

I have long thought the R5 would eventually lead to a same-spec'd 5D5, and yes the real estate inside the 5D form-factor body is surely there to do it. But adding a tilty-flippy and IBIS really makes this take on a more involved body redesign. I think Canon still make such a camera, but I don't think at all that's a 'drop in the latest hotness' sort of engineering proposition.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Let the haranguing begin! I am fine with killing off the 5D line as it appears the advantages of the R line far outweigh any benefits of the EF mount. Canon needs to put their energy and R&D dollars into tuning the platform and lens design to take further advantage of the new mount. They have so many holes to fill in the lens lineup and they still need to produce some additional compelling lenses to compete with offerings from others (Sony, Nikon, Sigma, etc.).

I would like to see the R line move to more of a Tesla platform with significant improvements in the platform being release via firmware upgrades.

I would also like to see more EF replacement+ and exotics that couldn't be done before in the R mount. These might include UWA at f2.8, additional macro options, TS lenses, a bunch of handhold able super telephoto lenses (400, 500, 600) and some longer telephoto zoom (200-400, 200-600, etc.). Too many to name at the entry level and high end.

Those efforts require a lot of focus and investment. I think they clearly made the point with the release of the R5 and R6 that it is game on for mirrorless and all of their efforts are shifting in this direction for the next decade.

Bob

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
OVF, bigger size, battery life are still on its side. But it would just be a R5 with the 1DXIII's AF system. To keep the line going perhaps just reuse the mark IV bodies. Or just push everyone to RF.
To be fair, bigger size is no technical advantage of DSLR.

I don't think the 1DX III OVF AF could be reused in a cheaper model. After all, it is not the sensor, processor or LiveView AF that makes the thing so expensive (All of those are found in the much cheaper R6). Sure, there is build quality - but that brutal mirror motion and the second sensor may be just too hard to make to bring them down to lower bodies. Otherwise the abandoning of the 5 and 7 series makes less sense to me.

I get the impression that Canon just can't bring a DSLR to the level of speed and AF performance the R6 / R5 bring to the table without also making it more expensive than they'd like.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I agree that sunsetting the 5D right now seems off. I had always (maybe erroneously) thought the 5D series was a big piece of Canon's bread and butter, and messing with a formula that works seems to me to be a a very un-Canon thing to do.

I'm not sure they make much money on the 5D bodies themselves. Sure, it's a premium $3K price point, but R&D on products with such high reliability expectations must be brutal and I am assuming that they are pricey to build.

I'm guessing, however, 5-series owners buy a TON of EF glass, speedlites, transmitters, grips, etc. That's ultimately what Canon seems to be gambling here (were this to be a CR3). There's surely more money for them selling the pricier RF lenses to the 5D camp, but that's only if they migrate like obedient serfs. Some may buck and defer upgrading their bodies, run to Nikon, etc.

- A

Upvote 0
Good insights.

Agree, it's either R5 pre-sales are beating plan (which is being interpreted as no longer needing the 5D line), or Canon wants to dangle such a rumor to convince us that waiting for a 5D5 will be fruitless.

Very well could be the former, though. Canon knew their pro staple 5D line would eventually go away, but it's possible that the timing of its exodus was built into various permutations of the R5 rollout. If the R5 blows up huge commercially, they can retire the 5D line sooner.

- A
Maybe, but they haven't actually delivered any bodies yet - I mean pre-orders are great and all, but if this gets into customers hands and a revolt unfolds, Canon may have a bigger problem in the long run. If they made that decision, I think it would have been made a while ago - the 5D series is due for an updated release right now according to past release schedules - if the R5 missed the mark on preorders, they may struggle to get a 5DV moving in time to meet the market. I'd bet that if all this is true, that decision was made when we got the rumour to sunset development of the EF line.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0