This is just a Sunday reminder of the Canon EOS R5 specifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R5 will finally be officially announced in July, and there are still likely a few surprises in store for us.
Below is a reminder of the known and rumored specifications for the Canon EOS R5.
Canon EOS R5 Specifications:

44.7/45mp full-frame CMOS sensor
5-axis in-body stabilization

5 stops with IBIS alone
7-8 stops of correction when used with in-lens stabilization

12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
4K @ 120fps
4K @ 60fps
Built-in 5GHz WiFi
8K RAW internal video recording up to 29.97 fps
8K internal video recording up to 29.97 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265).
4K internal video recording up to 119.88 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265). 4K external recording is also available up to 59.94 fps.
No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K recording modes.
Canon Log available in 8K and 4K internal recording modes.
A Canon first...

Continue reading...

Is raw only 8k max 30fps? What about 4k? By the listed specs its not which is a bummer. 4k 24-60fps raw makes the camera much more useful, and makes the 8k raw just seem like a "class leading spec". Canon if your reading this make this feature a paid upgrade if its not included. You should be able to hit a 4k 60fps with a 5:1 compression which keeps you on the good side of RED (I think). Also, a multi shot still mode like Panasonic making a bigger file would be amazing. Super excited for the release.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
So it was June now July. Most of the world is experiencing delays in product stock arrivals due to COVID-19 so delaying the price and formal spec announcements because of slipping shipping dates doesn't cut it. There's no reason the announcements couldn't be in June with a rider that due to COVID-19 there will be delays in shipping dates. People would understand that, but to leave them hanging will backfire because it will rapidly go from being hardware whetting their appetite to becoming vapourware that appears be just be a tease. The rate things are going, unless Sigma release their brilliant 70-200 f2.8 Sports lens with a RF mount, I doubt I will be jumping to a R body, especially after this drawn out R5 and R6 announcement, even moreso because most of the gossip seems to revolve around video specs *yawn*. Canon should be better at planning than this.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It does starts to feel like an annoying marketing game where the customers who are planning an investment are not top of mind. I can understand the marketing logic of communicating final specs after the Sony new A7 x announcement but sigh... if the camera is that good, this should not really matter and @Canon marketeers: I think the long wait is not good for your brand either.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
One thing I'd like to know is if the R5 offers a Neutral Density software filter? I've seen it on a bunch of cameras that are out already, so I'd be disappointed if Canon didn't offer it, since it's just a software feature AFAIK. :D

Or, they could instead just allow long multiple exposures to add up into a 24(or so) bit per pixel element raw image. Then software in camera could produce a normal jpg (or heif) file for display and also save the super high resolution raw file for the user to work with in post. :geek:

Upvote 0

RMac

R6ii 5DSR 5Diii 7D M5 C300
I just want to know if it'll have an unlimited buffer when shooting burst like the 1DX mk iii.

Good question.

I'd predict no at 20fps and yes at 12fps.

It's helpful to look at what the 1DXiii is capable of video-wise as this is probably the bigger bottleneck in terms of card data writing:
5.5k 12-bit raw @ 60fps. The frame is 5472*2286 -> 1073MB/s

Canon hasn't confirmed the bit depth of the R5 raw video - we just know it's 8kDCI (8192x4320) and 29.97fps. Let's look at how many pixels/second each camera is pushing in raw video at their highest frame rates:
1DXiii: 750,539,520 pixels/s
R5: 1,060,621,516.8 pixels/s

So, the R5 is pushing 41% more pixels in raw video over the same CFexpress interface at its peak frame rate compared to the 1DXiii at its peak frame rate, so I'd guess Canon will be nerfing the bit depth a bit compared to the 1DXiii. At 8bits, the data rates at the highest frame rates are very close (So, I'd predict the R5 has 8 bit raw video, at least at it's highest frame rate. At 23.98 fps it could conceivably fit in the 1GB/s envelope at 10 bit although I kind of doubt that Canon would go to that sort of trouble)

Now onto images:
raw image files will be a full 8192x5262 (3:2) pixels.
If those are 14bit, 20fps yields a data rate of 1494 MB/s - a bit higher than the data rates we see in the 1DXiii and enough so that I doubt the CFexpress interface could keep up (especially not with cards that are available today). At 12fps, the data rate drops down to 896 MB/s which is in the envelope of what the 1DXiii can manage.

So with mechanical shutter you're probably never going to fill the buffer. With electronic shutter, you'll start off with a 20fps burst and then drop to 14 fps or so once the buffer is saturated - which is still pretty respectable.

If you want to shoot this way, you should probably be saving up for CFexpress cards as much as you're saving up for the camera.

Also - this totally ignores the UHS-II SD card which is much slower.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0