This is just a Sunday reminder of the Canon EOS R5 specifications

Jan 29, 2011
100MP $6000 [CR0] :LOL:
I'd get one, I'd move from two 1DX II's to a 1DX III and one of them, but if it is closer to 85MP and $4,500 (similar price difference to the 5D III 5DSr) I'd be even happier.

I never saw one review of the Fuji GFX 100 that said I wish it had fewer pixels, I don't want super resolution often but when I do I'll take what they give us.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
What is it about “rumor” that people find so difficult to understand? There was a rumor that it would be announced in May. Then a rumor it would be announced in June. Now there is a rumor that it will be announced in July.

Canon has never promised you an announcement date so whining about delays is just childish.

Yes....Well, I do agree with you and it´s obvious that we never had from Canon a "launch date"...However....Canon must be aware of the impact of this camera and the "I want it badly" reaction from crowd! So Canon did made a development announcement early in February. Its been now almost 4 months from that first announcement. Now we had a teaser or a second development announcement in 20 of April. So, I think it´s logical that people is starting to feel impatient and desperate to see the camera out there... Of course we did have a lot of changes in the path, Covid-19 just changed the hole thing...but it´s normal that people now start getting more and more impatient. And of course....the more impatient, the more they "scream"! Even in a rumor site! :D

I would love to see the camera out as soon as possible, but I just got into my mind that most likely I will only have the camera in my hands in mid September (according to my retailer...) So....Like the Green Day band says....."Wake me up when September ends..." :D

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Dual Pixel RAW availability in R5 has not been rumoured so far. Or has it?

I don't recall hearing anything about it. I doubt very many folks are even interested, as there's very little talk about it from folks who may even actually use it with the 5D Mark IV. For most of us the significant sacrifice in buffer depth and the doubling of raw file sizes is not worth the minimal added benefit.

On the other hand, they did confirm in the March announcement that was originally to take place at the video-centric NAB trade show that Dual Pixel CMOS AF will be available in all video modes.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Good question.

I'd predict no at 20fps and yes at 12fps.

It's helpful to look at what the 1DXiii is capable of video-wise as this is probably the bigger bottleneck in terms of card data writing:
5.5k 12-bit raw @ 60fps. The frame is 5472*2286 -> 1073MB/s

Canon hasn't confirmed the bit depth of the R5 raw video - we just know it's 8kDCI (8192x4320) and 29.97fps. Let's look at how many pixels/second each camera is pushing in raw video at their highest frame rates:
1DXiii: 750,539,520 pixels/s
R5: 1,060,621,516.8 pixels/s

So, the R5 is pushing 41% more pixels in raw video over the same CFexpress interface at its peak frame rate compared to the 1DXiii at its peak frame rate, so I'd guess Canon will be nerfing the bit depth a bit compared to the 1DXiii. At 8bits, the data rates at the highest frame rates are very close (So, I'd predict the R5 has 8 bit raw video, at least at it's highest frame rate. At 23.98 fps it could conceivably fit in the 1GB/s envelope at 10 bit although I kind of doubt that Canon would go to that sort of trouble)

Now onto images:
raw image files will be a full 8192x5262 (3:2) pixels.
If those are 14bit, 20fps yields a data rate of 1494 MB/s - a bit higher than the data rates we see in the 1DXiii and enough so that I doubt the CFexpress interface could keep up (especially not with cards that are available today). At 12fps, the data rate drops down to 896 MB/s which is in the envelope of what the 1DXiii can manage.

So with mechanical shutter you're probably never going to fill the buffer. With electronic shutter, you'll start off with a 20fps burst and then drop to 14 fps or so once the buffer is saturated - which is still pretty respectable.

If you want to shoot this way, you should probably be saving up for CFexpress cards as much as you're saving up for the camera.

Also - this totally ignores the UHS-II SD card which is much slower.

Your 8192x5262 sensor has a 1:1.56 aspect ratio. I think you meant 8192x5462, but it won't be that either.

Every still image sensor Canon has ever made has pixel dimensions that are divisible by 16 along both edges. This makes jpeg compression much less problematic with fewer artifacts. The sensor will probably be 8208x5472 plus masked pixels and the extra pixels needed to interpolate color information for the edge pixels of the center 8208x5472 pixels on the sensor.

The "full width video" will actually use 8192x4320 pixels plus the extra edge pixels needed to interpolate color information, or 99.8% of the sensor's usable width.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Tease.

So the announcement will be in July of 2020. Availability will be in July of 202?

Still no firm price info.

I have a question for y'all based on previous experience. Does Canon update the firmware before shipping to their dealers? Might there be a warehouse full of these things in NY someplace with one lone overworked guy coming in and updating the bodies one at a time?

I've heard stories to that effect from friends who worked fairly high up the management ladder at a now defunct brick & mortar photo store chain that was an authorized Canon dealer. But it's more than one lonely guy. The products are not usually shipped from Japan to the Canon regional distributors in retail packaging, so they have to be repacked by workers at the Canon USA, Canon Europe, etc. distribution centers anyway. They're shipped in much more protective cases that hold many multiples of a product. Think rock band road cases meet Pelican foam inserts meet plastic collapsible produce shipping crates. Not only are they more protective, but the overall total weight and cubic size is less than the same number of bodies or lenses would be in retail packaging. Included accessories, batteries, warranty cards, user manuals, etc. aren't shipped from the factory in Japan, either. They're shipped from wherever they are sourced directly to the regional centers and added when the primary products (camera, lens, flash, etc.) are packaged for retail there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
SD express 8.0 should be on the market at the end of the year if not sooner.
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/bus_interface/index.html

When has Canon ever put a card bus that new into a product that started development several years ago? (Hint: never. They start with what is already tried and proven at the time the hardware design is being finalized 1-2 years before the camera is released.)

UHS II has been out for how long? (Hint: it was announced in 2011 and Fuji was first to put an UHS II slot in a camera in January 2014.)

When did Canon introduce their first camera with an UHS II slot? (Hint: September 2018 when the EOS R was announced. August 2018 when the 90D and M6 Mark II were introduced.)

I would be HIGHLY skeptical that the R5 will be able to take advantage of SD Express 8.0.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You do realise that you are on a RUMOUR website that has no affiliation with Canon? All these so called release dates are someone’s guesswork at best. Canon have never advised a solid product to market release date for R5.
You guys have no idea what’s going on In markets right now. There are some massive issues at manufacturers hand at this stage. This forum regulars are not a good representation of the market in general.
I trust that R5 won’t disappoint however please stop whining and complaining. Hope it does make sense.
We both share the trust that the R5 will not disappoint. However, I do think that the marketeers@Canon are playing a game by not communicating the full specs at this time. These are fixed by now, they must be. I suspect that they are holding that information back in order to steal Sony’s thunder after the Sony A7x announcement. My point is that I regret this approach and I think such behavior is detrimental to the perception of Canon’s brand. As I look at it, it portrays Canon as a company that plays marketing games instead of a company that cares about customers who consider an investment. Sorry to hear that you do not agree with this but that’s fine. And yes, this forum may be a more vocal segment of the market but isn’t that is what forums are for? As a product manager / product marketing manager at Canon, I would monitor this forum closely :), hence this post. Grtz!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
We both share the trust that the R5 will not disappoint. However, I do think that the marketeers@Canon are playing a game by not communicating the full specs at this time. These are fixed by now, they must be. I suspect that they are holding that information back in order to steal Sony’s thunder after the Sony A7x announcement. My point is that I regret this approach and I think such behavior is detrimental to the perception of Canon’s brand. As I look at it, it portrays Canon as a company that plays marketing games instead of a company that cares about customers who consider an investment. Sorry to hear that you do not agree with this but that’s fine. And yes, this forum may be a more vocal segment of the market but isn’t that is what forums are for? As a product manager / product marketing manager at Canon, I would monitor this forum closely :), hence this post. Grtz!
+++++ As a product manager / product marketing manager at Canon, I would monitor this forum closely :), hence this post. Grtz!

A.M.: you are? :D seriously though. Marketing or public relationships is not your profession. I hope....

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I'm trying very hard not to be interested in this camera but that 4K120FPS sounds pretty tasty. I don't believe everything needs to be shot in super slow motion but there are many times where 60FPS hasn't been slow enough for my taste. I still think it will cost $3999.00....4K120FPS is not worth that to me.

Now if the R6 has 4K 120FPS that would be a no brainer.

Upvote 0