This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Mar 4, 2020
Nope. Merely reading ones manual would be enough. It says operating temperature is 0-104 F. The overheat icons come on after 104 F is reached. Being smart enough not to let your device exceed operating temps is sufficient. I would never install that update if it took away my resolutions and frame rates that i PAID FOR because some people can't read a manual.
I read that as stating the camera should only be operated at an environmental temp up to 104°F. (i.e. air temperature) I do not believe this is the actual internal thermal warning /shut down temperature.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Has anybody seen this from the Canon Rumors Discord discussion?

So externally, if you leave the cards out, you aren't met with an overheating countdown timer, and essentially can record indefinitely. When cards are in the camera, the countdown timer continues to tick. This leads me to believe there's some type of buffer going on that builds up heat triggering overheating. This isn't the case without cards in the camera.(edited)
Really interesting. So with the ATEM mini pro ISO or external recorder you can livstream or record as long as you want? With the BM ATEM pro mini ISO you can record each input too..

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
I have always been wondering, for a mirrorless camera, if you keep the camera on for continuous shooting, the sensor is supposedly to be on all the time as in video capturing, does that mean it will also over heat as well? Or is it just because the continue video processing generate a lot more heat than simply keeping the sensor on for still shooting?

P.S. I won't trust all these videoographers doing Youtube and video-castings as most of them are actually making videos for a living. Most people who get the R5/R6 are using them for stills and short videos. Why bother?
I believe operating the camera on "ON" will generate some heat since the sensor and processor are operating, but that will NOT generate a heat warning or shut down. But since it does heat the camera some, it can shorten the time the camera takes to reach the warning and shut down temperatures.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I have always been wondering, for a mirrorless camera, if you keep the camera on for continuous shooting, the sensor is supposedly to be on all the time as in video capturing, does that mean it will also over heat as well? Or is it just because the continue video processing generate a lot more heat than simply keeping the sensor on for still shooting?

P.S. I won't trust all these videoographers doing Youtube and video-castings as most of them are actually making videos for a living. Most people who get the R5/R6 are using them for stills and short videos. Why bother?

The chart needs to be updated with equipment temps. The number would vary with different camera temperature due to the environment. Both Canon and Sony state this.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020

So externally, if you leave the cards out, you aren't met with an overheating countdown timer, and essentially can record indefinitely. When cards are in the camera, the countdown timer continues to tick. This leads me to believe there's some type of buffer going on that builds up heat triggering overheating. This isn't the case without cards in the camera.(edited)
Very interesting if true. More reason to get an external recorder if the 4KHQ won't overheat.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

I have! get on the Discord Forum ya'll! :p

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Very interesting if true. More reason to get an external recorder if the 4KHQ won't overheat.
Well the problem is that Externals were even only getting an hour or so in 4KHQ... Until Wayne here thinks, "What if take out the battery and use a dummy battery and REMOVE THE CARD" Magic Bullet! He's claiming he got about 4 hours in 4KHQ doing that. He is putting together a video now. He documented the whole test

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
Just curious if anyone has done a teardown of the camera for the purposes of investigating why it is behaving the way it is. If Canon doesn't plan on fixing the problem, I'd be curious to see if anyone with the engineering know-how is willing to identify where the problem is coming from, and perhaps suggest modifications that may result in enhanced performance. Perhaps iFixIt will investigate at some point?

Upvote 0
I generally agree. But, I have a problem with any company that offers any feature that isn't ready for prime time. I think it was more than a bad marketing decision. I think it was a bad engineering and design decision. No matter how many disclaimers you offer, it's no substitute for having a product that works. If they couldn't make these ridiculously high resolution and frame rate modes work, they should have just left them off.

My perspective is different that the majority on this forum, but I see this as a case where they let the engineers and designers drive the marketing. "Ooh lookey what we can design! Never mind that it's non-functional in the real world, people should just adapt." No. You should engineer the product to work or not include the feature.

I dunno. I think your position has merit, but everything has limitations, I'm not sure why some are considered so much more egregious than others. Previously, Canon DSLRs and MILCs compromised by having cropped 4K. Fewer heat issues, and you could work around it to some extent by using wider lenses, but it was a hard limitation on the video mode. Swapping that for what the newest bodies do is not fundamentally different, in my view. The more cutting edge, the more limited the feature, but since the advanced video modes don't prevent the camera doing the more basic stuff (like shooting stills or lower quality video), I don't see it as compromising the package overall.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Looking a little I think that there is some valid complaint since the camera was promoted for months as an 8K video camera as its main feature. I am not interested in video at all, but I suppose a significant part of the price of the camera is due to its video specifications. Hopefully all this negative publicity can drive the price down in the coming months. I have to upgrade from a 7D II and I think these cameras will do the job. Anyway, this canon ad with mind-blowing specs sounds a lot like what Sony was doing in the past; Paradoxically, the last camera announced by Sony, seems like something that could have been done some time ago. Anyway, for still images, the R5 seems fabulous and if the price drops a little it may sell a lot and even I am tempted to buy one. What is clear is that the next R5 will be incredible. Regards

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020

Because you get a tool like this for what you COULD do. Do you think every A7riv owner is cropping every shot , do you think every BMPCC owner is shooting feature films ? That’s the point of creativity testing your boundaries of what’s possible.

For me shooting in 4K at an event and being able to switch to 4k60 for the right moment is a priority for me. It’s just frustrating that the perfect camera could be locked out for overheating Just for being turned on or taking photos

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Just curious if anyone has done a teardown of the camera for the purposes of investigating why it is behaving the way it is. If Canon doesn't plan on fixing the problem, I'd be curious to see if anyone with the engineering know-how is willing to identify where the problem is coming from, and perhaps suggest modifications that may result in enhanced performance. Perhaps iFixIt will investigate at some point?
No need to. You have a massive 45MP sensor sitting in a small sealed box with zero ventilation, doing a full readout at 24/30 fps and encoding/recording it internally. It's a volcano. The EXTERNAL issue is something else. The camera is not really getting hot at all and shutting off after an hour in the same 4KHQ mode. It should be able to go longer. There's something firmware related that is being over protective, particularly with external recording

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Why leave off something that can be used to great advantage within a certain realm. A brief 8k pan and zoom for 4k could be very impressive and useful. It gives a taste of the future. I would never leave something like this off but that's just my way of viewing life. The massive data associated with 8k tells me that no average Joe would ever be recording longer clips anyway, so why complain? I think most of the hate is based on envy.

Jack
To put it simply: because Canon is not Sony.

I'd bet that if you did a content search of this website you would find literally thousands of instances where people say they buy and are loyal to Canon because they just work. Canon has never been about the bells and the whistles. Canon is about reliability. It's about buying a camera that works right out of the box without any unpleasant surprises. Canon has ridden that reliability and predictability to domination in the marketplace. By pushing the video specs beyond what was attainable Canon undercut a decades long reputation.

Upvote 0