This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X9

Re: This is the Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D/X8

rrcphoto said:
canon's AF modules are made in house, pretty easy for them just to create the AF module.

IMO, it has to do with size and weight I would imagine the 9 point module is probably simply "easy" to fit in there.

*snip*

Ugh. Well, thanks for that - guess it was sort of inevitable. Still, for backup duty, I think I'll keep an eye out for possible deals on the T7i or 77D.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

LonelyBoy said:
rrcphoto said:
canon's AF modules are made in house, pretty easy for them just to create the AF module.

IMO, it has to do with size and weight I would imagine the 9 point module is probably simply "easy" to fit in there.

*snip*

Ugh. Well, thanks for that - guess it was sort of inevitable. Still, for backup duty, I think I'll keep an eye out for possible deals on the T7i or 77D.

I don't mind the 9 point module, certainly not a BIF AF module, but with nine points on such a small camera, it gets fiddly really fast with more points.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

LonelyBoy said:
rrcphoto said:
rs said:
Woody said:
rs said:
It looks like the same old 9 point AF system, if what's viewable in the mirror from that front view is anything to go by

Seriously? What can you see from that particular front view? That mirror is all white out.

It sounds like you need to get your screen calibrated :eek:

Here's a screen grab with the black levels and mid-tones adjusted to make the AF points stand out more

that was a good catch. once you said you could see it in the mirror, it was pretty obvious.

it makes sense really... the 45 point module would be considerably larger than the 9 point module.

But at least give us the 19-point system! I had assumed 19-point would be the worst-case, and up to the 45-point would be the lucky highest-end system they'd use. It's surprising they even still MAKE the 9-point system!

This is actually really good news. Hopefully this will put the SL2 price firmly below the T7i.
That makes it much more useful as a vacation camera.
Disposability is an asset.

Chances are the lowest price Canon can ever sell these for in three or four years will be a bit lower because of the cheaper AF system.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

rrcphoto said:
Don Haines said:
ahsanford said:
NorbR said:
rs said:
Here's a screen grab with the black levels and mid-tones adjusted to make the AF points stand out more
Wow, good catch ! :eek:

If that is indeed the case, that's very disappointing. Even for the Rebels, that's two generations old ... I really thought that 9-pt AF system was a thing of the past by now :mad:

Great catch if true. Any chance there are more lower contrast AF points clustered around the 9 that we can't see? (The original photo's not exactly straight OOC as far as detail is concerned.)

Of all the things to leave out of the camera, I thought the AF module / secondary mirror was a relatively constant size -- why on earth would Canon stick with 9 points on what we presume will be a Rebel-level $799 camera? Giving it the nice 80D/T7i AF setup would make it a much more attractive sell.

I'm flummoxed on why they'd go with 9 points. Is there an AF related space constraint I'm not aware of? Does it require more processing power, battery consumption, etc?

- A
I shot for years with a 60D and 9point AF. Yes it worked very reliably, but the AF point coverage was so poor that I rarely moved it out of the center point.... focus and recompose! 9 points is unacceptable on a modern camera, could these just represent the most precise points and the other AF points just did not show up in the picture?

the AF coverage is even poorer if you leave it at the center. I never had a problem for general shooting an the 9 point AF, and that was even using it in the studio with well over 200k+ shots. if you used the point closest to where you wanted, the focus recompose distance was trival.

I agree completely. Shooting mostly landscapes, center point is all I ever need. Other general shooting, 9 is plenty to use the closest point and recompose. I have no fast primes to worry about recomposing.

I always assume that action shooters are the ones that want more and more points. Hopefully someone can enlighten me as to the advantages of having more points.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

rrcphoto said:
ahsanford said:
I'm flummoxed on why they'd go with 9 points. Is there an AF related space constraint I'm not aware of? Does it require more processing power, battery consumption, etc?

- A

i'm not really. if you take a look at the SL2 and the T7i,etc there's more room used underneath the the T7i. that's where the AF module lives and dies. for a camera that size matters, every mm is important.

and ofc it would also require more processing power.

Really, is there more room? I overlayed the 77D over the SL2. The bottom seems to have the same distance from the mount on both bodies:
sl2-77d.jpg

Frank

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

Photorex said:
Really, is there more room? I overlayed the 77D over the SL2. The bottom seems to have the same distance from the mount on both bodies
Thanks, Frank, for this example.
I don't believe in a room/space problem here. Maybe energy consumption, but the 800D/T8i has the same Battery if CRs OP is true.

So for me this would just be a market segment decission. And I still don't belive in a 9 point AF system here.
This would make Canon look like they want to get into the car market with an old aspirated engine instead of direct injection.
I really can't belive in a 9 point AF system.
If they did, I'd be the first to say "Stupid Canon!" (TM by AvTvM ;) )

Upvote 0

It could, I suppose, also be a matter of the CPU power to handle the more advanced AF system, if they skimped on that to fit in the tilty-flippy or something else.

I know I made do with 9 points on my SL1, but I was looking forward to playing with the 45-point... who knows. I'll wait for the reviews to hit, certainly.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011

Well, I have to say that I have never had a issue with my SL1 auto focus. I'm mostly a center focus point guy and use the back button for focusing. On the other hand, I do expect every new camera to offer improvement over the next model, even if it is slight. So I'm hoping that at least the sensors are better, faster, you name it. We shall see.
The only time I really noticed a massive difference in AF was when I went from the 5DII to the 5DIV. I have to say that with the 5DIV, 99.9% of my shots are tack sharp, and it even manages to focus my EF 85mm 1.8 spot on, which none of my older cameras have ever been able to do, with or without AFMA. Not that I would expect that AF module on the SL2...

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

Woody said:
BillB said:
So, are they just reusing the SL1 9 point A? Wonder what else is being carried over from the SL1.

The SL1 9 point AF design only has 1 cross sensor.

It's likely the SL2 gets 9 cross AF points.

Still, it's very disappointing....

That's kind of what I was thinking. The SL1 was competing against the T4i if I recall at the time of release. The T4i (I could be wrong) had all 9 points cross type AND was the first Rebel to add some phase detection points to live view (aka on sensor) as well. I recall thinking the SL1 was rocking my old T2i's technology while the T4i was a step forward.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

macVega said:
I love my EOS 100D :-* it is the world's smallest DSLR camera 8) i was hoping that the 200D would be a cute little sister, not a big fat brother.... :eek:

Yeah but you get a Big Fat Flippy Screen with that Big Fat Brother camera.
The compromise in size is minimal and they added almost all the features much larger bodies (within the Rebel brand).
I couldn't be happier.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

Etienne said:
sanj said:
rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
ahsanford said:
Holy balls -- they got a tilty-flippy on a tiny SL# body?!

Was that expected? Presume that means DPAF is onboard as well.

- A

That is a surprise. Vari-angle touch screen, smaller, lighter, and probably cheaper than the T7i.

it won't be cheaper. the SL1 was originally a pretty pricy camera at 799 body + 18-55

Ok, in which case I'd opt for the T7i, which is already quite light weight, unless there's some other advantage of the SL2

Just size really.

Please if you can guide me on the advantages of T7i over SL2 pls. I am thinking of getting a crop camera and wondering which one.

Ergonomics. The T7i has a lot more buttons, which reduces the number of times you have to dive into the menu system to make a change.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

Don Haines said:
NorbR said:
rs said:
Wow, good catch ! :eek:

If that is indeed the case, that's very disappointing. Even for the Rebels, that's two generations old ... I really thought that 9-pt AF system was a thing of the past by now :mad:

A 9 point AF system has one big advantage..... you save time adjusting your camera settings because you just leave it on the center point.....

;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0

Quick question.
I just sold my 7D because I am going to buy the 6D Mark II.
However, I'm thinking of getting a backup APS-C.
How do you think this will this stack up against the 7D in terms of IQ, ISO noise, AF capabilities?
I realize the 7D is very long in the tooth by now, but have no clue what has trickled down to the lower end DSLR market.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

Dvash7 said:
Quick question. ...

How do you think this will this stack up against the 7D in terms of IQ, ISO noise, AF capabilities?
IQ, ISO noise should be noticeably better because of new sensor and image processor. At least one step. If ISO 800 was fine on your 7D, now 1600 should do the job.
AF capabilities? Good question. As you can read above, we have the fear that'll get the (5 year old) 9 point AF of the 700D/T5i. This would be a big step back compared to your 7D. If it gets the latest AF of the 800D/T7i or at least the 19 point af of the 70D that would be rather fine.

Wait and hope for the AF specs next week... :-\

Upvote 0