Update: The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced on June 29th

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
I believe there was an FD to EF adapter available for CPS members. I remember researching it. I think it was a 1.3 teleconverter. I never saw one in the flesh.
There were two different FD-EF adapters: one with optical elements that was indeed a teleconverter, intended for telephotos, the other without optical elements, effectively an extension tube that resulted in loss of infinity focus, intended for macro lenses. Similar 3rd party adapters are still available.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
My biggest question would be how much IS improvement the IBIS would bring to an old EF lens like my 200-700 f/2.8 IS. Would it work well together or might it even work against it? I imagine the IS of the lens trying to bring a stable image onto the sensor and then the sensor moves to compensate camera shake. That might only work if the IS of the lens and the IBIS would be somehow coordinated. The thing I care most about when I buy a new camera or lens is the ability to get handheld shots with even less light than before. If my 70-200 could compensate two or three stops more, that would be a huge improvement.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
EF mount is still superior, because it has the most native glass available by a very wide margin.

Also, for video, EF lenses will always be better than RF lenses. The EF to RF mounts with ND are a game changer, and ensure that video shooters won’t ever be buying RF glass. Much better to have an ND wheel between an EF lens and RF camera than a RF lens without the ability to control ND. Same is true for cine glass, why buy RF when you can use EF mount lenses with an ND wheel on the back end?
I am probably going to give the Kolari Vision snap-in ND filters for RF a try.
That sounds like the best of both worlds.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Said this before, if someone is writing to the second card slot as a backup, just write jpg to the second card. No risk of losing the work, but no slowdown either (or at least minimal slowdown) if you are writing sequentially to both cards then wait for a break in the action and put in a new card in the first slot. People act like this is some insurmountable challenge.
I shoot like that.
People are talking like it is the end of the world but it is a bit of an inconvenience to have separate readers for each card. I only fall back to the RAW file if there is extra cropping, processing, or latitude needed.
It is a little inconvenient to keep files on two separate cards.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
This thing is going to be a monster. I can't even imagine what else they would cram into the R1 later on. Higher MP sensor that does 8K? And Besides that? Interested to see the video frame rates this thing can manage. Could be THE most perfect hybrid. This could easily replace my 1DX2, EOS R and R6. This camera with a C70 sounds like it would cover all the bases (because I often shoot video with TWO rigs simultaneously)

Upvote 0
You stated that Canon cannot run two competing systems. I pointed out that they have done just that for nearly a decade with APS/C, and a few years with FF. Having said that, I do believe they will phase out FF DSLRs and EF lenses. But not that rapidly.

It depends on how you define ‘main camera system’. Canon sells far more APS-C cameras than FF cameras. They sell far more EF-S and -M lenses than EF and RF.

EF offered a paradigm-shifting advantage – autofocus. Digital offered a paradigm-shifting advantage – instant image review gratification. MILCs are basically DSLRs without a mirror.
I wouldn't call the APS/C lens line up a full line up. Its was only consumer specification lenses. They never made pro spec lenses that would have been much lighter than the equivalent full frame lenses. You still had to buy heavy, large full frame lenses to get high performance glass, or go with third party lenses.

Upvote 0
It is sad that Canon no longer wants to give us the choice between DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. After a while they will proudly claim that most people switched to mirrorless and say that acceptance is very high, but is it really accaptance if you are forced to switch, because DSLRs are no longer developed? It reminds me of Microsoft proudly claiming how many people switched to Windows 10. Or some dictator claiming 95% percent of votes in an "election", although he was the only candidate. Or 16:9 TVs for example. After years I still hate that format and prefer the ration of 4:3, but I was more or less forced to move to 16:9. Or cellphones without an replaceable battery. Most people loved the option that they could replace the battery after two years or so and get the whole battery capacity again, but we were not given a choice. Luckily the EU might make replaceable batteries mandatory again, but the EU probably will not save DLSRs :-(

The only real advantage of mirrorless cameras is the shorter flange distance that makes new lens designs possible, but I probably would not buy those overpriced RF lenses anyway and instead use an EF adapater and therfore lose that advantage. All other features of mirrorless camera could be incorporated in the live view mode of a conventional DSLR for those who really want a mirrorless experience. Cameras like the 1D X Mark III already work like a mirrorless camera in live view mode and it would even be possible to attach an external EVF.
Liveview is awkward off the backscreen of a DSLR. I know. I've shot a lot of paid jobs that way. The AF accuracy of LiveView/mirrorless in general is far superior to DSLR AF. The ability to focus into the corners is far superior. Those are much better reasons for mirrorless cameras than better lens designs made possible via short flange depth. I doubt most people ever get the most out of their DSLR EF lenses due to focus inaccuracy issues with DSLR's and assorted subject/situation limitations.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My biggest question would be how much IS improvement the IBIS would bring to an old EF lens like my 200-700 f/2.8 IS. Would it work well together or might it even work against it? I imagine the IS of the lens trying to bring a stable image onto the sensor and then the sensor moves to compensate camera shake. That might only work if the IS of the lens and the IBIS would be somehow coordinated. The thing I care most about when I buy a new camera or lens is the ability to get handheld shots with even less light than before. If my 70-200 could compensate two or three stops more, that would be a huge improvement.
I tried a 70-200 IS III with a R-5. They worked great together. I realize that's not the same version as yours. I believe the Mark II or Mark III of that lens is optically superior to your original version IS lens. You can get Mark II's pretty inexpensively right now. Great lens.

Upvote 0
I shoot like that.
People are talking like it is the end of the world but it is a bit of an inconvenience to have separate readers for each card. I only fall back to the RAW file if there is extra cropping, processing, or latitude needed.
It is a little inconvenient to keep files on two separate cards.
Well I would never shoot .jpg not even as a backup. I can’t do anything quality wise in post with a .jpg so it’s useless except maybe as a quick BTS image for a social media post.

Upvote 0

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
It is sad that Canon no longer wants to give us the choice between DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. After a while they will proudly claim that most people switched to mirrorless and say that acceptance is very high, but is it really accaptance if you are forced to switch, because DSLRs are no longer developed? It reminds me of Microsoft proudly claiming how many people switched to Windows 10. Or some dictator claiming 95% percent of votes in an "election", although he was the only candidate. Or 16:9 TVs for example. After years I still hate that format and prefer the ration of 4:3, but I was more or less forced to move to 16:9. Or cellphones without an replaceable battery. Most people loved the option that they could replace the battery after two years or so and get the whole battery capacity again, but we were not given a choice. Luckily the EU might make replaceable batteries mandatory again, but the EU probably will not save DLSRs :-(

The only real advantage of mirrorless cameras is the shorter flange distance that makes new lens designs possible, but I probably would not buy those overpriced RF lenses anyway and instead use an EF adapater and therfore lose that advantage. All other features of mirrorless camera could be incorporated in the live view mode of a conventional DSLR for those who really want a mirrorless experience. Cameras like the 1D X Mark III already work like a mirrorless camera in live view mode and it would even be possible to attach an external EVF.
Canon is a for-profit company. If they decided to stop producing DSLRs it’s because they have determined the market HAS chosen. It may not be YOUR choice, but thems the breaks.

Look at Sony. The A-mount was never a huge seller (I know, fixed mirror). Suddenly they launch the E-mount and they’re top dog in a few years.

Upvote 0
Has anyone had experience using the mirrorless cameras with studio strobes? I have an RP and what I don't like about using studio strobes in an indoor setting is that if the room is dark and your modeling lights are tungsten or halogen balanced, the live image in the viewfinder is yellowish, since your white balance is set to flash or daylight. Does Canon have a way of independently setting the viewfinder white balance to be different than the capture white balance?

Upvote 0

You sound like feverish, selfish little clot of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. You probably complained when you were “forced” to switch from a b/w tv to the new fangled color tv’s. You sound like you’ve been around that long. Now get off my lawn gabnabit!

• Haha
Upvote 0