*UPDATED* Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Specifications & Image

Re: *UPDATED* Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Specifications & Image

I think dual pixel raw has nothing to do with adjusting focus. What it could offer would be a grayscale focus map just like an alpha channel, where an in focus pixel would have 255 and out of focus pixel have 0 of value.
That map could then be used to apply sharpening to in focus areas only and gradually decrease it for the oof areas, and vice versa apply more denoising to oof areas only to conserve detail. Add Bokeh CA correction etc etc... Pretty awesome if you ask me...

Upvote 0

raydee said:
I think dual pixel raw has nothing to do with adjusting focus. What it could offer would be a grayscale focus map just like an alpha channel, where an in focus pixel would have 255 and out of focus pixel have 0 of value.
That map could then be used to apply sharpening to in focus areas only and gradually decrease it for the oof areas, and vice versa apply more denoising to oof areas only to conserve detail. Add Bokeh CA correction etc etc... Pretty awesome if you ask me...

So you're saying the "in focus" areas would be made sharper? That sounds pretty pointless to me. I think you're wrong about this.

Upvote 0

aa_angus said:
raydee said:

So you're saying the "in focus" areas would be made sharper? That sounds pretty pointless to me. I think you're wrong about this.

Sharpening oof areas only accentuates noise, targeting in focus areas only is what all common smart sharpening solutions do. With a sensor generated focus map the target would be well defined from the beginning and not have to be generated by filters

Upvote 0

raydee said:
aa_angus said:
raydee said:

Sharpening oof areas only accentuates noise, targeting in focus areas only is what all common smart sharpening solutions do. With a sensor generated focus map the target would be well defined from the beginning and not have to be generated by filters

I understand that, however if you have shot an image with the correct areas in focus, then your job is done. You don't need to sharpen areas of an image which are already tac sharp.

Upvote 0

aa_angus said:
raydee said:
aa_angus said:
raydee said:

I understand that, however if you have shot an image with the correct areas in focus, then your job is done. You don't need to sharpen areas of an image which are already tac sharp.
Capture Sharpening, creative sharpening, denoising, lens optimisation would all benefit from a focus map

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

Jack Douglas said:
A spec that I hope to see is illuminated AF points. I know I'm not alone on this one and it may play a role in my decision to purchase the 5D4 rather than the 1DX II.

Jack
This is a very reasonable requirement. A couple of months ago I photographed my niece dancing in low/very low light so I understand what you mean...

Upvote 0

raydee said:

Agreed.

I'm not sure why some expect light-field style post-capture focus adjustment. This requires very specific information, and very specific sensor technology to capture that information (yes, even for small adjustments). Dual Pixel does not help with that.

And I also agree that it will probably be a fantastic thing to have nonetheless. I'm thinking smart sharpening, where the strength of the sharpening is proportional to the precise distance to the plane of focus. I'm thinking smart noise reduction, along the same lines. I'm thinking an equivalent to PS Select Focus Area, except working absolutely flawlessly and with a lot more versatility. I'm really excited to see what exactly is coming ...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

NorbR said:
raydee said:

Agreed.

I'm not sure why some expect light-field style post-capture focus adjustment. This requires very specific information, and very specific sensor technology to capture that information (yes, even for small adjustments). Dual Pixel does not help with that

and you know this for a fact. not just hedging your bets, but as fact. you've reviewed all canon relevant patents and come to this conclusion.

cool beans. it's always great to have an expert in house.

Upvote 0

This is a rumor site after all :p

rrcphoto said:
NorbR said:
raydee said:

Agreed.

I'm not sure why some expect light-field style post-capture focus adjustment. This requires very specific information, and very specific sensor technology to capture that information (yes, even for small adjustments). Dual Pixel does not help with that

and you know this for a fact. not just hedging your bets, but as fact. you've reviewed all canon relevant patents and come to this conclusion.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

raydee said:
This is a rumor site after all :p

rrcphoto said:
NorbR said:
raydee said:

Agreed.

Indeed. while I can totally get behind .. "IMO" .. and "it may not.. " and "I think..."

emphatic statements are always interesting ;)

Upvote 0