UPDATED: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Re: Canon EOS 80D Specifications

MayaTlab said:
But you don't design cameras because of historical designs and lineups. You design a camera so that everything you put on a spec sheet is matched by a coherent controlling scheme.

You also design for a given target user base. The 1DX has plenty of configurable buttons because that's what its pro user base expects and is able to use. More consumer oriented cameras may prefer now a touch screen UI more friendly to users actually used to smartphones (ah, I would kill for "answer"/"decline" physical buttons on smartphones!), and too much buttons/dials/joystick may just confuse them. A touch screen is also cheaper, especially because it simplify assembly a lot.

Upvote 0

VirtualRain said:
hubie said:
VirtualRain said:
Not to be a jackass, but who is the target buyer for this? The DSLR market is quickly becoming niche, or more accurately, a series of niche markets... Pro sports: 1D, Wedding and events: 5D, Wildlife: 7D, Enthusiast: 6D,... Who is the 80D targeted at? What are they doing with it? Is it a decent sized market? What are the key competitive differentiators against cameras like the Sony a6300?

The Sony A6300 will most probably be a great camera, but differntiators are obvious: Handling and balancing, OVF (=battery life), AF different from MILC-AF (remains to be seen if up or downside), Screen articulates differently, button arrangement probably...

But does any of this matter to the buyer of these cameras... Which I still don't understand who is the target for this? Or put another way, what kind of photographer is interested in the 80D today?

Anecdotal... My daughter purchased a 70D and a few EFS lenses because it was better than a rebel but still reasonably priced. But not long after (for the last couple years) she shoots exclusively with an iPhone 5s and her next $1000 towards a new camera will be the iPhone 7.

I would be interested in 80d. I have a rebel and 3 EFS lenses. I would like better af, pentaprism, afma, BUT, portability is very important and I do not want a bigger cam than mine due the same issue as your daughter: 99% I use my iPhone (6s). I use my canon when I am on holiday or shooting events which I very much enjoy (where use fast primes and I need good af and iso).

I have been waiting long, but especially that famous 18mp sensor for so many iterations, no AFMA in 60d and never in rebels, no pentaprism in rebels, holding back features to force you buying bigger if you want better.. So most likely I will go for the sony A6300 and sell my canon.

Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010

Proscribo said:
Etienne said:

You can select the AF point using the touch screen, so it will be even faster than the toggle.
It won't be faster. Because you can't do that while looking through the VF.

The qc dial pretty clearly has the rocker-control center, so effectively there is still a joystick equivalent experience.

Upvote 0

AWR

Aug 18, 2015

Would the Sonyfanbois please go shoot their (imaginary) cameras.
Chip on the shoulder much!

Since buying Canon, I have never visited Sony, Panasonic or Nikon forum. And I have no problems with people shooting with them. Go ahead. Shoot. Go away. Stay away.

About 80D, we have 5D3 and are between upgrading to either 1DX II or next incarnation of 5D, we do lot of video so Magic Lantern is a big deal. However, when shooting stills, my girlfriend feels that 5D3 is a little big for her hands, and seeing all the great photography people have taken with 70D, this is real option for us!
This could be the holiday camera also.

People are talking about having 1DX II as a B-Camera for C300 II, so I can easily see usage for 80D in that sense for 1DX II or 5DX. Remote control anyone?! Sportsshooter do that don't they...

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

nhz said:
target buyer: primarily the fanboys and collectors who buy every new model.
For those who have the 70D how much reason is there to upgrade?

I find funny those who believe people are just looking to upgrade always the previous model... there are people replacing older models, people moving up from other models, maybe P&S ones... Canon of course has to keep models up to date enough to be appealing, maybe some models won't be the huge step forward someone hopes to replace his or her two years old camera and brag around...

there are many factors going into a new model, and not always they are technical ones. IMHO Canon knows only a relatively small percentage of its customers - especially in this range - is obsessed to own always the latest model, thereby the costs of pleasing them with huge improvements is not justified by sales.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

LDS said:
nhz said:
target buyer: primarily the fanboys and collectors who buy every new model.
For those who have the 70D how much reason is there to upgrade?

I find funny those who believe people are just looking to upgrade always the previous model... there are people replacing older models, people moving up from other models, maybe P&S ones... Canon of course has to keep models up to date enough to be appealing, maybe some models won't be the huge step forward someone hopes to replace his or her two years old camera and brag around...

there are many factors going into a new model, and not always they are technical ones. IMHO Canon knows only a relatively small percentage of its customers - especially in this range - is obsessed to own always the latest model, thereby the costs of pleasing them with huge improvements is not justified by sales.
+1

Also, as time drags on, components become obsolete. New models will have to be introduced to account for this... As memory continues to get larger and cheaper, smaller memories stop being made or become more expensive than larger memories, and as a result buffer size in models gets larger and larger despite the increased number of megapixels...... processors get faster so all of a sudden, you can run that better AF algorithm..... features such as anti-flicker become standard across the lineup.... improvements are inevitable.

As to the buying public, people looking to buy an 80D come from new buyers who like a quality camera but don't want to spend thousands just on the body, people looking to upgrade, happy 70D owners who are now without a camera (theft or damage), and even owners of higher end bodies who want a spare body or have a need for some of it's features.

Fanboys? That is such a small segment of the market that it isn't even noise, and beside, who in their right mind would try to cater to a self absorbed fanatic who will never be happy......

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015

WoodyWindy said:
Proscribo said:
Etienne said:

You can select the AF point using the touch screen, so it will be even faster than the toggle.

The qc dial pretty clearly has the rocker-control center, so effectively there is still a joystick equivalent experience.
It really isn't and the problem lies in placement. D-pad is way too low to be used comfortably (this is my personal experience, but I assume that I'm not alone) and with joystick you can move around without lifting finger so it's a tad better there too. However using front and rear dials is otherwise a good way except that again, the rear dial is too low and it's pretty small on 80D.

I used to have 70D before 7DII so I do know that I personally prefer the joystick. It's not perfect but it's much nicer to use than the dials which I used with 70D.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

Proscribo said:
WoodyWindy said:
Proscribo said:
Etienne said:

It really isn't and the problem lies in placement. D-pad is way too low to be used comfortably (this is my personal experience, but I assume that I'm not alone) and with joystick you can move around without lifting finger so it's a tad better there too. However using front and rear dials is otherwise a good way except that again, the rear dial is too low and it's pretty small on 80D.

I used to have 70D before 7DII so I do know that I personally prefer the joystick. It's not perfect but it's much nicer to use than the dials which I used with 70D.
Got a 60D with the same controller pad as the 80D.....
Got a 7D2 with the joystick.....
Functionally the same......
Ergonomically, the joystick is way better (at least for me)

Upvote 0

gsealy said:
Even though I get involved in creating videos or taking stills that require planning and quality with expensive cameras and lens, I also like using cameras like the 70D and the Rebels. The reason is that they provide adequate quality for certain situations and they are versatile and light. Many times I am out at a location and I want to shoot some stills or a short video that will be used for marketing and communication on social media. Boom, I bring out my Rebel t4i, hook up my Rode Micro and I am shooting/creating within seconds. A lot of these situations are spur of the moment and there isn't a lot of planning. I usually have the camera and a light zoom lens in the bag along with the mic all the time, so when the situation presents itself I can capture it. Is the final product going to be world class? No. But it will be pretty darn good, communicate with people and continue to create interest, which is the goal. So yeah, I can see buying an 80D in the future.

I can be a bit OCD perfectionist at times and this prevents me from doing things (or putting them off) because I don't think the result will be satisfactory. This prompts my wife to say, "The opposite of good is perfect!"

It irritates me but essentially she is right. Sometimes there is good and then there is too good, which ends up making the end result not happen or it becomes a big hassle. I think gsealy provides a fine example of how this can be the case. Also a great example of the KISS principle! ;)

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016

jebrady03 said:
nhz said:
VirtualRain said:
Not to be a jackass, but who is the target buyer for this? The DSLR market is quickly becoming niche, or more accurately, a series of niche markets... Pro sports: 1D, Wedding and events: 5D, Wildlife: 7D, Enthusiast: 6D,... Who is the 80D targeted at? What are they doing with it? Is it a decent sized market?
target buyer: primarily the fanboys and collectors who buy every new model. It's the usual Canon upgrade with some minor tweaks in features and controls, nothing that could threaten a higher up model and of course you pay through the nose for the small improvements. For those who have the 70D how much reason is there to upgrade? They usually claim the 70D AF and sensor are excellent, no need to make any changes ...

I know this camera has only been leaked and the full press release isn't out, but I have to assume that it's not written anywhere in the press release that Canon is looking for every, or even any 70D owners to upgrade. Your sh***y assumptions, lack of technical expertise and first hand information, as well as your complete lack of market surveys and analysis don't make this camera a dog. It just means you're spouting off about something you know very little (being generous here) about.

wow, those fanboys are funny :)

just for the record, my company worked as an OEM in imaging technology development with Canon; even though that is some years ago, I probably know a lot more about Canon technology, production and marketing than you.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011

azizjhn said:
No 4K, No Dual storage :-\ that is a very bad indication for me at least for what is coming in the 6D2 :'(

Since at the moment all specs are just rumors and not
official statements, and in spite of the fact that none of
the rumors have said a single word about the storage
configuration at all:

How do you know that there will be no dual storage?

Upvote 0

LDS said:
MayaTlab said:
But you don't design cameras because of historical designs and lineups. You design a camera so that everything you put on a spec sheet is matched by a coherent controlling scheme.

You also design for a given target user base. The 1DX has plenty of configurable buttons because that's what its pro user base expects and is able to use. More consumer oriented cameras may prefer now a touch screen UI more friendly to users actually used to smartphones (ah, I would kill for "answer"/"decline" physical buttons on smartphones!), and too much buttons/dials/joystick may just confuse them. A touch screen is also cheaper, especially because it simplify assembly a lot.

I'm going to take a little exception to that :D.

First, even Canon's own entry-level cameras are as removed as possible from the current photo app experience in a typical smartphone. You don't have scene modes yet on iOS :D.

Second, if the idea is to avoid confusing people, why then Canon insists on giving on (some, not even all !) entry-level cameras, for example, the older menu tab structure, or even worse the older custom function menu UI, with its rather arcane and obfuscatory terminology (C.Fn 1, C.Fn 2) and a layout that looks like you're having a conversation with a computer (000100101110001000010111100010010001), while the newer one does away with a number of abbreviations and follows a more typical UI layout ?
Frankly, I've never found camera manufacturers really good at making cameras easy to use. Some people even get lost in the scene modes, which probably add even more confusion to the whole thing ("hey, I want to take a picture of that frog, so I've got to put the dial on the flower ? What ?" "What is SCN ? - It's scene modes. - But, you told me that scene modes are the flower, the guy doing sky or the portrait ? - Yes, but it's more scene modes, the ones they couldn't put on the dial. - Oh, great, you mean there could be a frog mode too ?").
Also, are we really sure we want to play the game of "let's count how many buttons this thing has ?" Because I'm not sure the 80D would prove to have a lot fewer buttons than a 5DS for example :D.

Third, if the idea is to design for a target audience, I've witnessed some 1DX users who were clueless about some functions of their own cameras which would be easily understood by somebody who might happen to shoot with a 6D because he doesn't need the technical wizardry of a 1DX or can't afford it. It's not a dig against them though, since I don't think there is much correlation between somebody's technical proficiency and the artistic qualities of the pictures they take, and might have an excellent understanding of another feature. Just that I haven't seen as big a technical literacy gap as some would imagine between 1DX or 6D users. In fact, frequently, a 1DX user might use a 6D as well !

And finally, if a camera, which, in the end, remains a pretty mono-functional, basic thing, feels complicated, it might not be because it actually is complicated, but just because it's poorly designed. I mean, a 5DIII probably is, overall, as customisable as an Olympus OM-D E-M1, yet I'm fairly certain a majority of people would find the 5DIII's menus and customisation functions easier to understand and set up. And that's only because of Olympus' catastrophic menu design skills (including until recently the incredibly idiotic use of a double negative logic in setting up a menu item *rolls eyes*).

Anyway, 42 AF points : that's not bad news.

Upvote 0

Quackator said:

IMHO - the 80D is simply not in the market class to merit the dual storage feature for many reasons. The most important reason is that most consumers simply wouldn't understand it or use it so it would go unused and might even be a support issue. This is a pro feature and even pros sometimes ignore it. It's redundant and not a good use of design or marketing efforts or device real estate on the 80D, given its' target market.

In short, it isn't expected, it won't be missed and isn't highly desired by the intended 80D market.

I'm not saying dual storage is a bad thing, I'm just saying it's not a home run hit for the 80D.

Upvote 0

azizjhn

CR Pro
Apr 5, 2012

Quackator said:
azizjhn said:
No 4K, No Dual storage :-\ that is a very bad indication for me at least for what is coming in the 6D2 :'(

Since at the moment all specs are just rumors and not
official statements, and in spite of the fact that none of
the rumors have said a single word about the storage
configuration at all:

I dont know for a fact but since these rumors didnt mention a single word about having 2 dual cards i assumed there isn't.

You can easily say let's wait & see this is just a rumors ::)

Upvote 0

Detailed additional specs:

Also from Digicame-info.

EOS 80D specs - new 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor.
Adopt a new miniaturization process
dual pixel CMOS AF
image processing engine DIGIC6
regular sensitivity ISO100-16000 (extension 25600)
7560-pixel RGB + IR metering sensor
AF 45 points (all points cross type).
AF distance measuring point of maximum 27 points F8 correspondence.
-3EV Correspondence
the new "L zone AF" four AF area selection modes including
continuous shooting 7 frames / sec.
3 frames / second at the silent continuous shooting mode
77 sheets The number of pictures in the JPEG (I assume sheets was a bad translation for images)
20 sheets in the RAW
live continuous shooting in the view mode 5 frames / sec. (AF tracking)
A new mirror vibration control system to keep the mirror shock (MVCS)
finder is 100% field of view, magnification 0.95 times
shutter 30 seconds - 1/8000 seconds.
Synchro 1/250 sec
three inches 1.04 million dot Vari-angle LCD monitor
built-in flash (guide number 12)
electronic level
new Picture Style "fine detail"
10 kinds of scene mode
anti-flicker
video is full HD 60fps - AF tracking
HDR movie
time-lapse movie
five types of movies Creative Filters
Wi-Fi
NFC
Remote shooting
media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I compatible)
shutter durability of 100,000 times
USB terminal
HDMI terminal
microphone jack
headphone jack
remote control terminal
improved dust and water
battery LP-E6N / LP-E6
start-up time is 0.16 seconds
can be remotely captured using the power zoom function in combination with the EF-S18-135mm F3.5-5.6 iS USM and the power zoom adapter PZ-E1
size 139.0 x 105.2 x 78.5 mm
weight 730g (650g body only)

Upvote 0

Looks like a nice update. The buffer is too small on the 70d for bif shooting but other than that I think its a great camera. I like the size and the touch/swivel screen.

This new camera is said to have a 20 shot raw buffer. That's pretty good as long as it clears quickly. That's an issue with the 70d

Ps fine detail picture style = no aa filter

Upvote 0