We think it’s almost a sure thing Canon will announce a pro EOS R body in 2020

Apr 1, 2016
They don't need to worry about readout speed and fast tracking/focusing with an Rs camera. Once they have the sensor that can pump out that much detail they can plug it in to the regular R for the most part. But you can rest assured the Rx will come to market as soon as they possibly can. Canon knows the clock is ticking, even if they didn't seem to care about it 2 years ago. Sony has certainly lit a fire under that, but new sensor designs don't happen overnight.

The competition does have fast/good tracking and very decent read out skill and Nikon will most likely add a good solid body (better than the R) to their possible z8 so they will have to bring something better than just a new sensor in an old body if you ask me. I’d skip it if it has the current R body, thats for sure

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
This is true, shame on Nikon. Once the Sony a9ii is in the hands of photographers, and Canon is still finding itself, Sony will be first in market share.
Why do you think there is such a huge market for Sony A9ii bodies?

What if Canon is actually not going to deliver a mirrorless equivalent of D1X at all because there is no viable market for it?

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2018
Canon has had this Goto Market strategy with lenses for a long time now. The move to the EF mount from the old FD was a revolution. This coupled with the Eye-controlled focusing was something that helped them a lot and from it's introduction of EF in 1987, gave them a 5 year heads up on (Also on NIkon) the in-lens USM motor driven focus mechanism. Back in the film days, this strategy worked because at the end of it, the emulsion would factor in tremendously on what we produced. (Not refuting the talent of the photographer). Canon was very well positioned because of this approach in acquiring the market share for the EOS platform.

In today's world, with the sensors in the cameras, the attention has moved to the sensor/chip used to acquire the image. With Canon now among the only one that is doing in-house development for their sensor, it seems they are diverting a lot of their attention to the chip development. Other players like Nikon, Fuji etc. are capitalizing on the development that Sony is doing in their chip. Sony Semiconductors has always been a separate dedicated entity within the behemoth. They do not compete with resources and keep doing their chip development in isolation without impacting their imaging division. Moreover, Sony had the heads-up on MIL like Canon had with the EOS.

The strategy that I see with Canon today is that same old model of leading with the optics first. I am glad only because they have given me a tremendous set of lenses over the years. However, I am not using a film anymore. So I cannot go to my Ektachrome ISO25 and buy it and put it in my camera. I need something that "sees" what my lens will. This means the body or the capability of the body or a sense thereof will be very critical.

Sony now has a viable alternative even with their long primes. the 400 GM and the 600Gm and the 200-600 is all I would need for my wildlife needs. I am not a pro but a serious hobbyist and am sure there a lot of pros that can afford this suite with the a9xxx. I have decided to wait out this tumultuous time for the MIL landscape and see where this all ends. But "just around the corner" is becoming too tedious to take. At least knowing how long and for what we need to wait is very helpful. The old strategy with lens first in the current ecosystem, because the "focus" has moved to the sensor in the body, seems to me will impact Canon's business going forward.

Was really happy to see the EOS-R introduction, albeit with it's deficiencies, but it gives us something. Now with Photokina out of the way and people being as tight-lipped about their products as they are (perhaps for competitive advantages) Canon needs to provide some guidance for some of the folks that are still waiting eagerly for what they have in store. Tech Specs are nice at the MP/fps levels, but even if that is not there it gives us reason to wait until next April to see what they offer, but the silence is becoming deafening now.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
I want a 5D equivalent in RF mount. The current R doesn't cut it.

I want full-frame video. I want sophisticated video control. Waveform monitors. Log output, or even raw. The wait is hard.

I want I want I want.

Grow up.

And your full frame, RAW shooting pro video camera exists already, go buy an Alexa 65...

Oh wait you probably want it for 2k rather than 125k.

If you could actually use a RAW workflow buy a C200.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The competition does have fast/good tracking and very decent read out skill and Nikon will most likely add a good solid body (better than the R) to their possible z8 so they will have to bring something better than just a new sensor in an old body if you ask me. I’d skip it if it has the current R body, thats for sure
I think the Rs when it comes out will be much larger than the 60mp. I wouldn't be surprised if they were close to 100. Even if the frames per second is only 5-7 this would still sell relatively well in it's niche (a small niche, granted). I think the 5dV replacement in the R will be an R mkII with a 50-60mp sensor and 10fps, and the Rx will be about the same but with the capability of hitting 20+ fps, possibly using a global shutter.

I sincerely think Canon is about to catch up in the sensor department, although it remains to be seen how much better the a9II is.the big question long term is if canon spends all this time and money developing the new sensors if they can recover the associated costs effectively. Sony has hundreds of buyers of their chips currently to spread the development costs around. But Canon definitely had the resources to crash in for at least one generation, which I think we'll see the first results at the end of next month.
**EDIT** - After seeing the rumored specs just posted for the M5/M6II, I think I may have undersold what could happen with their new sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FredEOS

EOS R / m50 / a6400
Jul 18, 2019
I doubt it.

Canon currently offers four full frame DSLRs:
1Dx
5D
5Ds
6D

They currently offer two full frame R bodies:
R
RP

In a shrinking ILC market, it's unlikely we will see five mirrorless full frame bodies.

It is much more realistic to expect an "Rx" and an "Rs"

From a market segment standpoint, Canon has slotted the RP below the 6D in price but targeted it to roughly the same buyers. They have slotted the R just below the 5D but targeted it to the same buyers.

I would not be surprised to see the Rs slotted in as a direct replacement for the 5Ds (highest resolution sensor on the market).

I expect the Rx to fall somewhere between the 5D and 1Dx, but much closer to the 1Dx, just as the current R is only slightly under the 5D series. This will leave Canon with three full frame DSLRs (once they stop producing the 5Ds) and four R bodies.

Those looking for an R equivalent to the 5D will need to accept that they must either go up in price and specs to the Rx, buy the high resolution Rs or quit whining about dual card slots and accept the current R, which is a very capable companion to the 5D.
I agree 100% with that. There will be only new mirrorless cameras in the R and M series with RF mounts and adapters for EF. DSLR is over, Sony is driving the market and set the bar with the A7R4, Canon will take the train and good stuff are coming yeah!!! I’m excited the end of the year will be fun.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm a bit impatient, longing for those rf prime L lenses--but not enough to settle for the "placeholder" R. Fortunately I have enough lenses with my 5D IV to get by a little longer!

And it really is just a little longer. We could hear an announcement by mid to late fall, and then have a body in late winter or early spring.

But I understand the hard choices for somebody ready to make a move to a FF body with pro features, but not enough lenses to remain tied to a particular brand. Buy an R with key compromises now and use it as a second body next year when the pro body is out? Or buy a pro level dSLR now with a few ef lenses that will work on the new mirrorless in the future?

Sure Canon will lose a few sales, but they can't release a body they don't have yet. And with the camera industry in such upheaval, I doubt anybody at Canon believes a few months more for the release of a pro body will be that critical to the overall picture.

Maybe a good time for Canon to be spending extra marketing money promoting its great service, library of current ef lenses that will work fine on rf, and its industry dominance. And maybe some amazing rebate and bundle deals ahead while we wait?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I've actually considered the R as a potential backup to my 5D IV - frankly getting the same 5D iv sensor for almost $1k less in a body which uses the same battery is an attractive proposition on its own! I've almost dropped my 5D IV off of a few cliffs and I'm just waiting or the day where it actually goes over and I'm left with no camera on hand when I need it. I think in the end I will wait and see what the high resolution body looks like, and maybe the 5D IV becomes the backup to that. If it isn't what I'm after, then odds are I'll pick up an R and that will be the backup for the foreseeable future.
I know how you feel. I was going to get the 5D Mark IV and decided to get the R because it has the same sensor, costs far less, and for the additional ability to place the focus anywhere I want in my composition. I was skeptical of the ergonomics as compared to the 5D series (including the lack of a joystick), but all that skepticism is now gone.

Touch and drag took a tiny bit to get used to, but that's just because muscle memory had me sending my thumb out looking for the non-existent joystick when I wanted to change focus point, even though there is no display in the viewfinder of focus points like every DSLR I have ever owned. The R doesn't display them because pretty much the whole screen can be used to place focus. That alone takes away a lot of frustration when composing my photos. Then the focusing is so right on without any need of AFMA. Another frustration removed. The eye AF works great so far.

I thought the R body might feel too small to carry around my 70-200. As it turns out, I don't notice very much difference between the two. In fact, I think the grip on the R feels better in my hand than the 5D Mark III when carrying that heavy lens. It just feels right when carrying in one hand at my side, even without a battery grip... so I won't be getting a battery grip. People, sometimes, can be very resistant to change. I was never against mirrorless. I feared the ergonomics would be like those of Sony. I had high hopes that Canon wouldn't make one of those type of bodies and Canon came through with flying colors, in my opinion.

The EVF works great for me and is leagues ahead of the one on my little Olympus.

The only thing I miss is the second card slot. I miss the peace of mind. I don't need it around the house or around town. I feel I do need it for the model boot camps and fashion shows I volunteer at for a charity non-profit. I asked myself whether or not a second card slot alone would be worth the near $1,000 more a 5D Mark IV would cost. My answer to myself was that were I a paid event or wedding photographer, or if I was a paid photographer at all, it might well be. Otherwise, for me, no. I still would prefer the second card slot, but the trade off is the virtually unlimited focus points and no AFMA.

So for just $150 more than a 5D mark IV, I got the R and also the RF 24-105mm f/4L lens. That package is a great value if one doesn't mind f/4.

It will be interesting to see what the high megapixel model offers users. I'll hope to see what you have to say if you get one. It will probably be out of my price range enough to add a fast RF lens instead. 30 megapixels is enough for me.

I am seriously thinking of selling my 5D Mark III to help finance a second R. Having matching bodies would make things quicker to adjust to when switching between cameras when I want to carry two. I sold a lot of stuff to get the R.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the R to anyone who is looking to go full frame.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This has nothing to do with a single high end body. And if you think Sony is only taking market share from Nikon, but not from Canon, you are fooling yourself.
Sony hasn't taken any marketshare from Canon. So, who is fooling who? o_O :poop: Sony has lost market share, along with Nikon. It looks as though Fuji and Canon are killing Nikon and Sony. The illusory truth effect (also known as the validity effect, truth effect or the reiteration effect) is the tendency to believe information to be correct after repeated exposure. Facts vs. forum urban legends..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why do you think there is such a huge market for Sony A9ii bodies?

What if Canon is actually not going to deliver a mirrorless equivalent of D1X at all because there is no viable market for it?
Right now Sony is the only market for prosumer/pro mirrorless cameras. Canon has already stated they are coming out with such a camera.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Haven't ever. Amazon is having a sale on crystal balls. :p Buy a Sony camera and they send you one for free. Made in Atlantis is stamped on the bottom. Ships free from the Bermuda Triangle. I am starting to think all the Sony fanboys are into cosplay full time. They're always getting steam punked by the propaganda floating around the Sony forums.

*Spec sheet for the crystal ball is awesome.
** Why does it always seem to be a new account at Canon Rumors that does this stuff?
***Rhetorical question. We already know the answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
This has nothing to do with a single high end body. And if you think Sony is only taking market share from Nikon, but not from Canon, you are fooling yourself.
The original comment stated that the model would make the change. You did not back up that statement but alluded towards my intelligence which detracts from your post greatly. Balls in your court.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I want a 5D equivalent in RF mount. The current R doesn't cut it.

I want full-frame video. I want sophisticated video control. Waveform monitors. Log output, or even raw. The wait is hard.
It's already here except for the second card slot. It's called "R".

Upvote 0