We think it’s almost a sure thing Canon will announce a pro EOS R body in 2020

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yes... Let’s not allow dissenting opinions on a chat forum. Only like minded posts should be here to form a proper echo chamber.

I think it’s entirely possible to appreciate some of Canon’s attributes, such as ergonomics and refinement, while also praising Sony’s ability to innovate and push the market with features like their autofocus.

Having said this, I’m sure I’ll get flamed by the pro-echo chamber contingent...
OMG you miss the point by a mile.The website isn't a pat on the back preach to the choir space, it's to discuss potential new Canon and Industry gear. Sure there will be dissent but after a certain amount of complaint saturation it had become clear that MANY just like to whine. We are not talking about healthy debate yet about keyboard courage meanness and negativity.Vast difference.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
As the Canon flock tries to maintain their patience, it's wearing thin as they continue to take it on the chin from other Mfgs. mirrorless offerings. While we wait for Canon to pull a rabbit out of the hat, their competition has already given the market high res camera bodies with fast frame rates, eye controlled focus, IBIS, dual card slots and more. So, to hear that in a year or so, Canon will probably, almost surely, maybe sometime, perhaps eventually bring life to this long awaited pro body is hardly earth shattering news, nor does it excite the senses. I have yet to see any "real" prolonged enthusiasm in the sports and wildlife camp about any current Canon R offerings. Those that have gambled and bought an R body, make sure they bring along their second card slot, affectionately known as their 5D or 1Dx or even a 7D ii, conspicuously slung over the other shoulder, always at the ready. There are many willing to wait but any pro body offering better wow them with state of the art features in a body that hasn't been dumbed down or crippled with excuses. I, so hope this pro body plays out that way and we hear a collective "Wow!" when it finally makes its way to the marketplace. Knowing that Canon expects a 40% downtown in camera sales over the next yr or so has to make us wonder how they will manage to maintain enough enthusiasm and motivation to produce new offerings for a marketplace hungry for that next body but not necessarily willing to pay for it.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
As the Canon flock tries to maintain their patience, it's wearing thin as they continue to take it on the chin from other Mfgs. mirrorless offerings. While we wait for Canon to pull a rabbit out of the hat, their competition has already given the market high res camera bodies with fast frame rates, eye controlled focus, IBIS, dual card slots and more. So, to hear that in a year or so, Canon will probably, almost surely, maybe sometime, perhaps eventually bring life to this long awaited pro body is hardly earth shattering news, nor does it excite the senses. I have yet to see any "real" prolonged enthusiasm in the sports and wildlife camp about any current Canon R offerings. Those that have gambled and bought an R body, make sure they bring along their second card slot, affectionately known as their 5D or 1Dx or even a 7D ii, conspicuously slung over the other shoulder, always at the ready. There are many willing to wait but any pro body offering better wow them with state of the art features in a body that hasn't been dumbed down or crippled with excuses. I, so hope this pro body plays out that way and we hear a collective "Wow!" when it finally makes its way to the marketplace. Knowing that Canon expects a 40% downtown in camera sales over the next yr or so has to make us wonder how they will manage to maintain enough enthusiasm and motivation to produce new offerings for a marketplace hungry for that next body but not necessarily willing to pay for it.
Yesh... Canon is the ONLY company that experiences a downperiod in the camera industry...

What you also fail to understand is that Canon is not even a year in the FF mirrorless market, how far was Sony along within the first year?

The R isn’t a wildlife camera, it isn’t a sports camera or super high res. Stop trying to judge the entire R system based on these two bodies we actually have. It’s useless...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As the Canon flock tries to maintain their patience, it's wearing thin as they continue to take it on the chin from other Mfgs. mirrorless offerings. While we wait for Canon to pull a rabbit out of the hat, their competition has already given the market high res camera bodies with fast frame rates, eye controlled focus, IBIS, dual card slots and more.
And yet...the market that has been given ‘all these great features’ by other manufacturers is...wait for it...still buying more Canon cameras.

I wonder, does ‘taking it on the chin’ from facts and reality hurt? Do let us know.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Lobsters used to be a junk food.

I've been traveling around in Maine in September, when I'd see signboards outside of restaurants along the way. They offered two whole lobsters for some ridiculously small price, by my perception at the time. That may have been the trip when I had lobster in some form at every meal in Maine, including the McLobster sandwich at McDonald's in Freeport.

I'm used to lobsters being somewhat expensive, largely because of shipping costs. They used to keep a few live ones in tanks at the grocery stores around here, but I haven't noticed them lately.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Those that have gambled and bought an R body, make sure they bring along their second card slot, affectionately known as their 5D or 1Dx or even a 7D ii, conspicuously slung over the other shoulder, always at the ready...

Not your intention, but you are inadvertently affirming the value of the R body and roughly describing my own experience. I bought the R as an extra body for a specific purpose (silent shooting at events where the noise of the 1Dx II is too distracting). Yet, I enjoy shooting with the R so much that I'm finding that I want to try it in situations where I know it has limitations (sports and birds in flight). Whereas I would ordinarily be using a 1Dx II, 5DIV or 7DII, I'm inclined to try the R first and keep one of those other bodies "conspicuously slung over the other shoulder, always at the ready" not because the R doesn't satisfy, but exactly the opposite: I enjoy using its touch screen focus so much, that I'm inclined to give it a go despite knowing full well it was not designed nor purchased for that purpose.

Those photographers you are describing came there intending to use one of the other bodies, but they are defaulting to the R and relegating the other bodies to back up status.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Yesh... Canon is the ONLY company that experiences a downperiod in the camera industry...

What you also fail to understand is that Canon is not even a year in the FF mirrorless market, how far was Sony along within the first year?

The R isn’t a wildlife camera, it isn’t a sports camera or super high res. Stop trying to judge the entire R system based on these two bodies we actually have. It’s useless...
Appreciate your input. First, let me make it clear that I have been a Canon user since 1987 and I don't own any Fujicisony wonderba camera gear. That being said, I do judge the R system based on "these two bodies", as you refer to them, because that's all they have, currently. I'm not saying they are not good cameras but they don't fit my needs and they don't work for me. Also, it is not my fault that Canon, almost completely ignored the mirrorless threat, primarily from Sony, for a long long time. Whether the reason was just hoping mirrorless offerings were just a temporary fad and would go away or they were resting on the success of their DSLR offerings, or some other reason, unknown to me, the fact is, they were caught completely off guard by how successful mirrorless body sales were changing the market. So, if they only finally did something about FF mirrorless offerings a year ago, primarily to stop brand defections, that is their fault. They certainly have had the know how, the resources and the qualified engineers for more than a year but failed to take advantage of them. During those years of debate, I would certainly have been thrilled to sit behind closed doors with any of the product development teams at Canon and just listened to the dialogue of verbal volleyball, justifying why they weren't ready to pursue mirrorless cameras, full frame or otherwise. Apparently, they were content to just read Sony's annual financial report, ignoring the resounding success of mirrorless camera sales and profits shown year after year, until they finally saw they were missing out, as DSLR sales continued to slide. Let me make it clear that I love my Canon gear but am most disappointed that I might have to wait a year or more for that Pro R body. In the meantime, it gives me great pleasure that you and others are most happy with your R's performance. Since I am spending my money on any new eqpt and not yours', I'll just wait, optimistically but with guarded anticipation.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Appreciate your input. First, let me make it clear that I have been a Canon user since 1987 and I don't own any Fujicisony wonderba camera gear. That being said, I do judge the R system based on "these two bodies", as you refer to them, because that's all they have, currently. I'm not saying they are not good cameras but they don't fit my needs and they don't work for me. Also, it is not my fault that Canon, almost completely ignored the mirrorless threat, primarily from Sony, for a long long time. Whether the reason was just hoping mirrorless offerings were just a temporary fad and would go away or they were resting on the success of their DSLR offerings, or some other reason, unknown to me, the fact is, they were caught completely off guard by how successful mirrorless body sales were changing the market. So, if they only finally did something about FF mirrorless offerings a year ago, primarily to stop brand defections, that is their fault. They certainly have had the know how, the resources and the qualified engineers for more than a year but failed to take advantage of them. During those years of debate, I would certainly have been thrilled to sit behind closed doors with any of the product development teams at Canon and just listened to the dialogue of verbal volleyball, justifying why they weren't ready to pursue mirrorless cameras, full frame or otherwise. Apparently, they were content to just read Sony's annual financial report, ignoring the resounding success of mirrorless camera sales and profits shown year after year, until they finally saw they were missing out, as DSLR sales continued to slide. Let me make it clear that I love my Canon gear but am most disappointed that I might have to wait a year or more for that Pro R body. In the meantime, it gives me great pleasure that you and others are most happy with your R's performance. Since I am spending my money on any new eqpt and not yours', I'll just wait, optimistically but with guarded anticipation.
But, then either wait or buy Sony or stop complaining. Canon won’t make anything faster and they have very good reason for every single decision they make. I trust that they know wth they are doing. There are MANY things I wish would do or had done, but I accept that they are not really interested in me running the company, and I don’t know anywhere near enough what goes on inside Canon to possibly even make an assumption.

I believe they have the best glass and the the RF lenses are the best (a lot) of money can buy, so I bought them. I also believe that Canon can’t release everything at once and I understand the strategy they have chosen, which I much prefer over Nikon’s strategy with more pro bodies and seriously boring lenses on release.

I wish they would’ve released a complete lineup of lenses and bodies on day one 5 years ago, but I also understand why they didn’t.

It’s like Samsung vs Apple for me, Samsung looks to be better on paper, and more and better functions and then Apple “copies” that two years later. But, Apple perfects it and have no issues and just. works, and MUCH better than Samsung and still does five years later.

Canon may seem late, but they perfect it and delivers WAY beyond specs. That’s why I keep using Canon and have zero interest in anything else.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
My reading of Canon's mirrorless strategy is different than yours. I think that since before the first M was introduced, Canon has had a long term mirrorless strategy based on dual pixel technology and the next phase of the strategy will be cameras with new sensors and processing technology. Canon is being characteristically deliberate, but I doubt they have overlooked much of anything since before Sony started rapidly rolling out its string of wonder cameras, each one addressing the inadequacies of the one before. Canon may be the tortoise to Sony's hare, but over the year's Canon has shown itself a pretty clever turtle.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
"Canon, Nikon and Panasonic are simply getting lapped by Sony in the mirrorless race." Sony a9ii being announced in little more than a month. Canon? The Powershot G7 X. I have to contain my excitement. Not really.
I forgot the fact that Canon, Nikon, and the rest are supposed to coordinate their camera releases by price point, features, and swimsuit competition results. Not really. Hmmmm.... when Canon releases the 1DX Mark III and RF equivalent next year, is Sony going to release the A9iii? Silly logic. It wasn't until a month ago that Sony even had anything over 400mm. Canon has had them for years and years and years. Were I a sports or birding guy, the A9 series would have not been much of a consideration until then.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yes. I feel beaten to a pulp by Canon. As a stills shooter, I couldn't care less about fast frame rates or video. Some do. I don't. The R was no gamble for me. The R has great eye EF (in my opinion), IBIS will be nice when it happens (but isn't an essential, for me). Do you really expect to see any "real" prolonged enthusiasm from the sports/wildlife camp for the current R offerings? I wouldn't think the current offerings are much of a consideration except for some of the birding wildlife crowd and many, many of them prefer a fast crop sensored camera. Upgrading a system takes $$$$. Switching takes $$$$. It's a pretty sure bet that those genuflecting before Sony and praying for an equivalent Canon are not stampeding to buy an A9 or A7rIII. How do I know this? Because Sony is losing market share. Sony will lose even more next year. Professional sports photographers are a very small piece of the market pie. Our local newspaper sports guy uses a 70D when he shoots the local high schools at their events. Yes, even at nigh football games. Yes, one card slot. To think that all professionals are participating in the fast camera, high resolution, dual card slot arms race is plain silly. So Canon is correct to appeal more to the realistic form and shape of the market as a whole, not the niche, when bringing a new system to the marketplace. In a contracting market, placing emphasis on volume sales is most important.

Knowing that Canon expects a 40% downtown in camera sales over the next yr or so has to make us wonder how they will manage to maintain enough enthusiasm and motivation to produce new offerings for a marketplace hungry for that next body but not necessarily willing to pay for it.

The market isn't as hungry as you think. It is in massive contraction. Why? I think there are several reasons. One of those reasons being that what is already available (and has already been purchased) satisfies most in the ILC owner market. People don't tend to upgrade when they are already happy. Owners are saturated and see little reason to spend thousands of dollars on something new from any company, including Sony. The pool of most consumers on this forum are not typical in any way, shape, or form.

Sony could release a 500 fps, 200 mega pixel camera next year. The market for that? Infinitesimal. Many of the complainers here do not understand that in the disastrous contraction of the ILC market, the surviving companies must appeal to the maximum number of remaining consumers. Neither the 1DX II, the coming 1DX III, or the A9, or A7r III, or high resolution offerings do that. Just like 600mm and 800mm lenses don't. In fact, none of Sony's current offerings or anything from Canon 6D and above do it, hence the M. Sony offers nothing in that category, so they are losing market share. In my opinion, 30MPIX is high resolution anyway. 10 years ago, it was unheard of. Most people don't want, or have, the equipment required to handle or store gigantic files. Buying in to the high end means buying in to more than cameras and lenses, which are already huge financial obstacles or deterents to most, on their own.

I did find a Sony spec sheet once. The pages were stuck together like a 16 year old boy's first Playboy. Like most of us, the girlfriend or wife he got later didn't come close to comparing to what he , in reality, could get. (joke)

* Everyone, please forgive my punctuation. Having trouble remembering sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
What we may see in FF bodies in 2020:

1D X III and a RX equivalent
R 70 MP
R 30 MP w/10 FPS

These bodies may include:

IBIS
BSI sensor
Quad pixel AF
Uncropped 4K video

Much of this depends on Canon's sensor development efforts. And it's sensor development efforts must confront unfavorable markets for FF sensor cameras.

Damn, I already have too many expenses in near future, and this is not helping. Will be probably buying at least 1DX3. But if the R-lineup finally catches up to other brand mirrorless FF performance, might need to consider any of the R bodies, RX, R70 or R30. If that happens, then probably also the 28-70F2 and maybe R50/1.2.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Damn, I already have too many expenses in near future, and this is not helping. Will be probably buying at least 1DX3. But if the R-lineup finally catches up to other brand mirrorless FF performance, might need to consider any of the R bodies, RX, R70 or R30. If that happens, then probably also the 28-70F2 and maybe R50/1.2.

I like the R. I'll save my pennies for thr R high MP camera. I don't need it. But, then again, I didn't need the R.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I like the R. I'll save my pennies for thr R high MP camera. I don't need it. But, then again, I didn't need the R.

I'm sure it's good camera, but it's not what it could have been. Some reason Canon didn't make R a desirable camera for my shooting needs, so R was easy skip for me. The RF lens line-up looks great though, although pricey.

I'm hoping RX will be very close the 1DX for the size. I need something I can comfortably hand-hold for all day with 70-200 on it. I'm not convinced on the small bodies yet, for most of my shooting. Although for vacation camera some SL1 or M5 size R-series would be great, add RF 28-70 on it and you don't need to carry too much.

Upvote 0