Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

I use my EF100mm macro a lot too (macro and portrait). Besides the adapter (which I can weld on), I don't see the advantage of a RF version. If it was f2 or 2x macro then it would have a benefit over the EF version.

Same here. I've always been amazed by the quality of that relatively cheap lens I use mostly for portrait, but also jazz concerts (well… I won't be doing that for a while, I guess.). It has the ability to reach through the band or even the drum set and grab the artist and his/her emotion. And at f/2,8, it's wide enough for me.

It would take something strong from Canon to give me a reason to change it for an RF version.

Upvote 0
My R5 works flawlessly and to specification since July. Unless Canon comes out with a R5 II with better heat management then I don't see how the first batch is fauty

It's kinda funny: the R5 seems to be faulty only for those who don't use it!

I wish Canon would come out with an R5II so I could grab the original R5 at a discount.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It's kinda funny: the R5 seems to be faulty only for those who don't use it!

I wish Canon would come out with an R5II so I could grab the original R5 at a discount.
The biggest experts are always the ones who don't own (or never owned) what they are talking about. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The only lens that should be relatively simple but not in the list is a 40mm/2.8 pancake. It should truly be small, light and preferably cheap.... perfect for street photography.
Adding an adapter to the EF version doubles the size and cost of it.

Putting in my vote for a 40/2.8 pancake. That lens on an RP would be tremendous for street photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Along the same line, I'm looking forward to Canon speeding up distribution of the RS 100-700L so everyone can sell their EF 100-400L lls and I can upgrade my version 1. I'm not a very early adopter...

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
wish canon would AT LEAST address the ef-m line... I wanted to invest in more ef-m lenses but I'm scared that they're gonna kill it off soon :(
They can't kill it off. The worst they could do is not add to it. You will have what you have. I find it ironic that I'm waiting for a fast wide prime in the RF as well as the EF-M line. I do a lot of waiting...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You wish. Canon was able to manage 3.09kg 600/4.0L III

I would not be surprised if they can do a 1200/8.0L at less than 3kg.

I think the #1 selling point for moving from EF to RF is the weight reduction.
I keep wondering where people are seeing all this weight reduction. In a couple of lenses, yes.... otherwise, no way.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
  • Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM
I fully see the point of a cheaper and lighter non-L fullframe 100-400mm lens as alternative to the the current and rather expensive 100-500mm L lens.
BUT interestingly there's actually an APS-C patent for a lens like this:

Disclaimer: I haven't read through all previous comments. Sorry if this is a repeat post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The biggest experts are always the ones who don't own (or never owned) what they are talking about. ;)
Not true!
I already know that the planned 1200mm f8 won't be a sharp lens, and have lots of AF issues.
This is called second sight, which I share with rontele7 !;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
That’s what happened with the last 1200mm lens. Though it was an f/5.6 L, only around 20 are known to have existed, and only 3 have been sold on the used market in the last 30 years, each for well over $100,000. The last going for $180,000. CNN owns 1, NatGeo has at least 2 & ESPN 1 (giving Disney 3), discovery has 2. I think only 4 of them are in private hands. Canon kept 2 for themselves. The FBI is rumored to have one.

A Dutch paparazzo had one, he even left a review where he bought it, something along the lines of "With stacked extenders celebs have nowhere to hide!". He passed away a few years ago, so I guess his estate will likely have sold it.

Upvote 0