Well, you can just throw out all your expensive L glass now. (Ok, not really...)

Interesting article but as it said it will take some time yet until the traditional camera lenses can be replaced with a metalens. It's good they managed to focus all colors of light into a single point but they also have to deal with large and high resolution sensors and diffraction – that is another big problem in photography – as well. So, for a few years from now we surely can keep our lenses regardless if they are "L" quality or kit lenses. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think that the concept was announced some years ago, its likely time to apply for another zillion in research dollars, so press releases are going out. Harvard did that for Black Silicone and milked research money for over 10 years before selling the patents.

http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/files/muri_metasurfaces/files/wintz_holographic_metalens.pdf

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
zim said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Great to know my 20th century style glass might become novelty items one day. They'll outlive me. :D

That's what I thought about my FDs ;D

Believe it or not, those FDs are sought after. I'm always looking for them. Love that inexpensive old glass adapted to a dslr. :) I'll take your FD glass. :)

Upvote 0