What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

It's probably far too late for this, but the best solution for long high bit-rate record times is a dedicated heat sink. I think Canon might be better served in the long run by bringing two variants to market. Keep the weather sealed R5 and R6 as they are now with their modest recording times and market those to stills photographers. And then release video modified versions (RV5 and RV6 if you will) with a redesigned back to accommodate a vented heat sink (and fan possibly). The rear of the camera would probably look like the monstrously ugly Fuji GFX-50S, but it would certainly take care of the overheating issue.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Honestly, if a hardware fix means a better solution for all I hope Canon does this to keep its brand image intact, as by not doing this there may be a serious backlash! But before anybody crows about Sony, did Sony ever do anything when the issue was widely flagged on their older models????
YeS, they released a new model.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think it was fair that Canon released information about properties of their cameras (shortly) before it was available on the market.
If I look at modern cinema movies I usuallly don't see scenes of more than 30 seconds. Using four EOS R5s there is a good chance not to overheat just at 8k.
And 8k for vloggers who talk one hour? IMO FullHD is more than sufficient for that.
Great to see that Canon wants to do something and will do - they want a 2nd "5D mark ii"-feeling :)

Just Alfred Hitchcock would have thrown away the R5 for his masterpieces with these great long scenes or found a solution to cool it down silently ...

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
For me this heating issue is much to do about nothing. It's 45mpx shooting at 12/20fps with IBIS that works with the RF lens IS, DPAFII WITH human AND animal eye focus that looks to work amazing, 120hz hi-rez viewfinder refresh rate, hi-rez touch/flip screen and MORE. In short, the r5's stills abilities are freaking amazing and along the lines of the 1dmiii series, if not better.

Oh, did I mention it'll shoot 4k no crop. OH and did I mention 8k NO CROP with Dual Pixel CMOS AF the whole time?? Something NO OTHER manufacturer has even whispered of doing?

All of this in a body that is half the size of the 1d series and a couple thousand dollars less. I can't figure out why people are upset, I really can't.

Of course it's going to have heating issues. Personally, all this fretting about it is nonsensical. People need to REALIZE what this camera DOES and stop complaining about what this camera CAN'T DO. If it doesn't fit the bill for you, don't buy it, k? It'll leave more bodies on the shelf for the people that appreciate cutting edge tech.

• Love
Reactions: 31 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
C-Log wasn’t available on release for the EOS 5Dmk4. When it was released it wasn’t a simple firmware upgrade, I had to drop the body off at a CPS location. Canon installed a larger heat sink. I would imagine, that there may be could be some sort of solution along these lines for those who want to shoot mostly video.

I don’t want to sound dismissive, but digital cameras has enabled filmmakers to become lazy. People will roll on footage for hours only to edit it down for a few minutes. Nature, wildlife, and sports filming have benefited from this tremendously, so I can see why they would need a better solution (use a proper cinema camera). If you’re a YouTuber who shoots for content, learn to be more efficiently. Shoot the first or second take. Quit throwing away 99% of what you shoot.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It's probably far too late for this, but the best solution for long high bit-rate record times is a dedicated heat sink. I think Canon might be better served in the long run by bringing two variants to market. Keep the weather sealed R5 and R6 as they are now with their modest recording times and market those to stills photographers. And then release video modified versions (RV5 and RV6 if you will) with a redesigned back to accommodate a vented heat sink (and fan possibly). The rear of the camera would probably look like the monstrously ugly Fuji GFX-50S, but it would certainly take care of the overheating issue.

there might already be a heat sink in it. Does the body have room for one? How do they ventilate the body without allowing dirt and moisture to get in? A fan could introduce vibration.

its hard to imagine a fix that doesn’t involve a thicker body.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
there might already be a heat sink in it. Does the body have room for one? How do they ventilate the body without allowing dirt and moisture to get in? A fan could introduce vibration.

its hard to imagine a fix that doesn’t involve a thicker body.
The heatsink can be weather sealed... in fact it can be water tight. The Sigma fp is designed to use the back middle of the camera as a heatsink. That body is fully weather sealed and has zero overheating issues. I can literally run the fp all day long.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
OMG - First we have a storm of "overheating" chatter, and now we're going to have a new storm of "recall" chatter! :eek:
I'm fine with a recall, and Canon will handle it the right way. What I'm not fine with is companies that will put out a product with a defect, and the ignore the issue. And even after the problem is acknowledged only offer a firmware update that merely hide the problem by removing the warning... I'm looking at you Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A few years back when convergence was all the rage, I posted that I felt that it would ultimately lead to divergence. I think that may be happening.

In the early years it was easy to add a few video features to stills cameras. As the years went by, the video features became more sophisticated. But, at some point the two uses get highly specialized and there are inevitable conflicts between the two. One has to wonder if it is practical and affordable to have a highly specialized and capable video camera and a highly specialized and capable stills camera in the same body.

The R5 looks like a great body for stills shooters who want to occasional shoot a bit of video. But, it appears to have a few issues for those who want to shoot long-form ultra high resolution video. The easy answer for us stills shooters is to just tell these video folks it's not the tool for them. But, I'm not sure that's totally fair. Some of the concerns do seem legitimate, especially since Canon really marketed the heck out of the video features.

I'm not one of those people who is opposed to video in cameras or who whine "I don't want to pay for video in my camera!" But, I do wonder just what hardware modifications might be necessary to resolve this issue and how that might affect the cost, weight, performance and sealing of the camera. Maybe it is time to consider a separate R5 Cinema version that is optimized for video, instead of the one-size fits all body.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
People need to REALIZE what this camera DOES and stop complaining about what this camera CAN'T DO.

I second that! If you're making movies and gotta rely on a camera--buy a movie camera! Or three of these if you need tiny.

Do people buy a screwdriver and complain that it's shit for driving nails?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
There was a test in youtube that shows A7s3 overheating faster than R5! :) Now this is only fun to shut up Sony boys. I am getting my R5 tomorrow so I will be able to test it and to see if overheating is a big issue. However if Gerald Undone is correct, my problems are solved with the Atomos. At least for 4k60..for 4k120 no but I guess I wont make 17 minutes of slow motion in 1 day....Canon could somehow decrease a bit the bitrate without losing quality and try to increase record times...Or finding some firmware update to improve it. If they could manage to change record times to 1 hour 4kHQ and 30+ minutes 4k120 that would help a lot!

Another thing they could do is to find a way to release the possibility of recording 4k20fps externally.

Other options the adapter to attach between camera and lens would be well received if it can manage to cool down a lot faster the camera. But....in that solution Canon should offer the adapter or price it in a really low price because we would need 2 adapters..rf to rf and rf to ef.

I hope they can improve in a firmware update, I am expecting this camera for 3 years and now that I am going to have it, I dont want to let it go not even for 1 week!! :D :D :D
The new h265 codec is also part of this problem. That codec creates lots of heat, yes there is overheating in 8k but that h265 shit will be the death of cameras and computers. Give the camera motion jpeg and a mp4 h264 and life will be well. Photo shooters should also be concerned with photo battery’s life. It’s not looking good. I hope they get this all sorted. I want canon to succeed and crush it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I honestly don't know if the overheating would ever effect me. I am primarily a still shooter that also shoots some occasional video when traveling, etc. Most of my clips don't exceed 8 to 10 minutes. But, I guess it would be nice to know that longer clips were a possibility if I needed them.

I am interested to see what Canon might bring to the table to see if it will be a hardware fix or a firmware fix.

I will make the change to RF glass at some point, but being stuck home during the pandemic means I don't have an urgent need to upgrade today. The iPhone 11 Pro, Canon 5D Mark III, and a GoPro are more than enough to document the four walls of my house. :p

Upvote 0