What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

They thought the 8k gimmick would gloss over the cracks, also they are relying on all their loyalist customers to defend them no matter what problems the product has, also they are aware that many people are trapped behind thousands of dollars of great EF glass already owned. They also thought they had the best looking girl at the dance, but then Sony and the A7sIII walked through door.
and then sony girl smiled, there was 6 teeth missing

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
I canceld my R5 preorder + 2 lenses and grip today because of getting so hot at stills shooting that video is only able at low res 4k 30p. I don't care about video. I get unsure because of this if the electronics lives 2 years by that way. For me it's not worth it to find out.
I think the R and RP and probably a lot of the Canon mirror cameras all will get just as hot as the R5 when doing only photos. It's just that no one paid attention to it till now with the R5/R6 release. Someone mentioned that the R manual also stated the same heating issues with photos only.

IBIS is new now for Canon, so maybe that is causing more heat in these models?
But that can be turned off.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Th

The most noteworthy thing about this video is that he didn't even use ibis or auto focus and he didn't shoot video or still. He just had the camera on and it overheated when he was ready to roll.

This camera is dead on arrival, anyone who can't see that is in denial or flat out delusional at this point.

I just want to us 1080...

Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
I think the R and RP and probably a lot of the Canon mirror cameras all will get just as hot as the R5 when doing only photos. It's just that no one paid attention to it till now with the R5/R6 release. Someone mentioned that the R manual also stated the same heating issues with photos only.

IBIS is new now for Canon, so maybe that is causing more heat in these models?
But that can be turned off.

I bought an R to try out and used on a wedding shoot once. It lacked a lot of what I needed but I tested it out to see if Canon was going in the right direction. The thing overheated on me as it was recording 4k in direct sunlight. Not the best conditions in mid October, but it did happen. Returned it a week later since I knew a "pro" mirrorless was on the way, according to rumors.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I mean, my sadness about this is less about the current time/heat limits on particular video settings, and mainly that the first tranche of real-life production model reviews (which I've really been looking forward to) are now going to be all about torture testing those video settings to get the camera to (or appear to) fail.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Canon provided cinema5D with a review unit, they didn't necessarily know what was going to be done with it. I don't think many people would buy any stills orientated hybrid for serious long form video work, the video market is overflowing with cameras much better suited to his particular task and I do not think what he was doing is Canon's idea of a general user case use.

I might be labeled a fanboy, which is kinda funny because half the time I'm attacked by them, but I just don't see his use as typical, heck there are countless posters who say they have never used the video on cameras they have owned for years. I believe we are at a point where video centric users are going to have to make serious decisions on what they want and how much they are going to pay for it. To me it sounds like a photographer moaning that paint brushes don't do the job they need, well that's because they aren't the tool for the job. Yes Canon sell it as a hybrid, but it is a photo centric hybrid and a compromised video tool so as a videographer either accept those compromises or buy something else.

Sure Canon knew what Johnnie was going to do with it, exactly what he does with every camera, the examples are there for every camera he tests.

Johnnie's been slated lately for *NOT* putting a stopwatch on the camera. He simply made one of his excellent min-documentaries with it. Then reported back, as he always does.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sure Canon knew what Johnnie was going to do with it, exactly what he does with every camera, the examples are there for every camera he tests.

Johnnie's been slated lately for *NOT* putting a stopwatch on the camera. He simply made one of his excellent min-documentaries with it. Then reported back, as he always does.
Well yes being a tester and not actually testing it, that is recording any useful data about use, isn't really any kind of a test by the very meaning of the word. But semantics and what Canon knew, intimated, understood or not aside, do you believe his use, 'high end mini documentaries filmed in long form' is typical user case use? I don't.

I'm not saying the camera or Canon are the best, infallible, or anything like it, what I am saying is is this a result general users are going to get in more normal and expected use cases? I do not believe so but if they do Canon deserve the outcry, if they don't this is all bullshit.

Upvote 0
I went out for a walk at lunchtime with my R5 and 70-200. I got some amazing pictures of BIF with the eye detect AF. If it can't find the eye it will track the bird's head and then the body. It's crazy. Crazy good. I will try my EF 100-400 and adapter at the weekend with more birds at the beach.
It may be everything I need. I never used the video features on my 5D. I would like to see a poll of how many people buying this camera regularly use video. I understand wedding photographers will use video.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I went out for a walk at lunchtime with my R5 and 70-200. I got some amazing pictures of BIF with the eye detect AF. If it can't find the eye it will track the bird's head and then the body. It's crazy. Crazy good. I will try my EF 100-400 and adapter at the weekend with more birds at the beach.
It may be everything I need. I never used the video features on my 5D. I would like to see a poll of how many people buying this camera regularly use video. I understand wedding photographers will use video.

I want to see these pictures please (you can be first in the BIF forum), and I’m very curious to hear about the 100-400L performance..

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
But you both miss the point that the temperature control starts the second the camera is turned on not when the record button is pushed, and in a production environment that can easily be 15/20minutes before 'action'. I think we are all in agreement though, nobody should be looking at the R5 to shoot their next big production or long form video, that is not what it was designed to do.
I didn't know that. Yeah, that would be a problem.

Upvote 0
Bad. This is bad. For people who want the higher video options.
They might recall the camera if they had marketed it to cinematographers or movie studios. The big mistake they made was emphasizing the 8K. I think the marketing guys should be given their sandwiches and shown the door, not the engineers. There is only so much you can do without fans and openings in the body. They would have run thermal simulations and knew exactly what the heat dissipation would be.

Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
They might recall the camera if they had marketed it to cinematographers or movie studios. The big mistake they made was emphasizing the 8K. I think the marketing guys should be given their sandwiches and shown the door, not the engineers. There is only so much you can do without fans and openings in the body. They would have run thermal simulations and knew exactly what the heat dissipation would be.
True. I just got my hands on one and it's sitting on my desk. Letting the battery charge so I can see the battery life as opposed to the old LP E6's. The killer for me would be how long I have to record until it over heats in some of the modes and the recovery time. I have a month to run tests and decide to keep or return it before then. Still waiting on my mini hdmi to hdmi to connect my atomos to it.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I saw the video too, and think there's credence to what he says about the the firmware being time limited and not temperature limited. Still not sure what realistic options there are for a physical solution there would be outside of drilling a hole and sticking a removable rubber gasket seal on it. But if it is actually still cool to the touch, maybe it is true that it is conservatively protecting the camera, and firmware may be able to take the limiters off of it.

I see two options:
(1) The processor (the most likely internal component to overheat) is typically connected with a thermal pad+heatsink to the cooling surface (body). It is possible that the thermal pads are either not in spec or assemply tolerances introduce unacceptable thermal resistances.
(2) Canon underdesigned the internal heat path from processor to body, i.e. the thermal resistance between processor and body is too high by design.

Neither are inherent problems with the camera. They can be fixed with hardware but not in software. The first requires replacement of the thermal interface material. The second requires a bigger internal heatsink/heatspreader.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
It seems the camera overheats without the body getting hot. This is either a manufacturing problem or a design problem (both engineering).
However, I agree that Canon marketing is not looking that good here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
The most noteworthy thing about this video is that he didn't even use ibis or auto focus and he didn't shoot video or still. He just had the camera on and it overheated when he was ready to roll.

This camera is dead on arrival, anyone who can't see that is in denial or flat out delusional at this point.

Please stop to troll.

Many, if not most people here, care about stills before video. This is an excellent camera for stills.

I posted this video because the behavior described points towards a manufacturing or design problem that CAN be addressed. Considering Canons track record, we can also place some confidence that this will be addressed in one form or another.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0