What's Next From Canon?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
After last week’s announcement of the EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III, most everyone around these parts want to know what’s next from Canon. While the roadmap is still a bit unknown for us, we do have some suggestions about what’s on the near horizon from Canon.</p>
<p><strong>Camera Bodies:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Prosumer mirrorless camera announced ahead of Photokina</li>
<li>One DSLR at Photokina</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Lenses:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Two “professional” lenses ahead of Photokina</li>
<li>EF-M 32mm f/1.4 ahead of Photokina</li>
<li>New “kit” lens ahead of Photokina</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Cinema:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>One more Cinema EOS body in 2018, some signs point to an EOS C300 Mark III.</li>
<li>New style of cinema camera body</li>
</ul>
<p>A couple of sources have said to expect an accelerated product development cycle over the next 18-24 months over the entire imaging lineup. We’ll let you guess what that means.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The sands would appear to be shifting:

It's just "Prosumer mirrorless" now? Are we backpeddling from FF mirrorless around Photokina time?

And a new DSLR in 2018? I thought that was off the table! My rough peg for new higher end models doesn't line up for this fall, so what would it be? The next 77D? The next standard Rebel?

- A

Upvote 0
I wonder if they will do any more lenses with Diffractive Optics? The 400 DO ii looks really nice (though I have not used one) and the size and weight of Nikon's new 300 f4 with similar technology is very attractive (almost enough to make me jump to Nikon). Seems like something worth pursuing, so where are all the new DO lenses?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
fentiger said:
with the Tokyo olympics due in 2020 i expect a 1DX mark 3, or something along those lines, the speck is anybodies guess, maybe the new 600DO as well

I always recommend folks look at Keith's great chart at Northlight. I only paste it here as it's not directly linkable and requires a little scrolling to find.

My take: Canon is a creature of habit. So, yes on a new 1DX lining up with major sporting events, but also look at the rest of the portfolio. Per some prior projections (see links above), three better-than-Rebel SLR bodies (90D, 7D3, 5DS2) are roughly timing out to drop in the second half of 2019.

My very very rough stab at a busy next 18 months:

[Next 9-12 months or so]: Nothing coming before today's rumor. This is a window to make a big splash with FF mirrorless.
End Q2 2019: 90D
End Q3 2019: 7D3
End Q4 2019: 5DS2 (still two models? Who knows.)

...and then we can start talking about 1DX3, 5D5, etc.

But these projections are just that -- they're total swags based on past timing. Historically, Canon doesn't drop this many new bodies north of $1k in such frantically quick succession. So it's possible they stagger / bring forward specific lines to make the nicer bodies more of a steady flow than a flood.

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 8.05.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 8.05.06 AM.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 3,495
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
What's happening is they are updating their lineup more rapidly and with new products to accommodate the mirrorless and video market and to ward off strong competition in this area from Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, etc. Many of us have been pushing them to do this years and have seen it coming.

Many on this forum will protest "the sales, the sales," but it's very clear now Canon can see both a long term threat and an opportunity.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
transpo1 said:
What's happening is they are updating their lineup more rapidly and with new products to accommodate the mirrorless and video market and to ward off strong competition in this area from Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, etc. Many of us have been pushing them to do this years and have seen it coming.

Many on this forum will protest "the sales, the sales," but it's very clear now Canon can see both a long term threat and an opportunity.

Where's the evidence of them going faster? I'm not seeing it. A given product line gets refreshed no faster than the one that came before. Canon is certainly aggressively proliferating the number of product lines / price points it is offering, but I don't see it going faster inside of given product line (not yet at least).

We've been waiting for a major product line to get refreshed faster than expected -- the 5DS and 7D would be perfect candidates to 'respond' with a quicker refresh -- and it never seems to happen.

- A

Attachments

• Canon bulking up.jpg
    Canon bulking up.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
ahsanford said:
The sands would appear to be shifting:

It's just "Prosumer mirrorless" now? Are we backpeddling from FF mirrorless around Photokina time?

And a new DSLR in 2018? I thought that was off the table! My rough peg for new higher end models doesn't line up for this fall, so what would it be? The next 77D? The next standard Rebel?

- A

I'm not back pedalling, I'm just saying what I'm pretty sure is true. I've made incorrect assumptions in the past, and I don't like that. Like with the new 70-200s, I made sure what I was reporting was as accurate as possible, as I wasn't 100% on the f/2.8 version as early as I was about the f/4L IS II version.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
ahsanford said:

- A

I'm not back pedalling, I'm just saying what I'm pretty sure is true. I've made incorrect assumptions in the past, and I don't like that. Like with the new 70-200s, I made sure what I was reporting was as accurate as possible, as I wasn't 100% on the f/2.8 version as early as I was about the f/4L IS II version.

Gotcha, thx.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
ahsanford said:
Where's the evidence of them going faster? I'm not seeing it. A given product line gets refreshed no faster than the one that came before. Canon is certainly aggressively proliferating the number of product lines / price points it is offering, but I don't see it going faster inside of given product line (not yet at least).

We've been waiting for a major product line to get refreshed faster than expected -- the 5DS and 7D would be perfect candidates to 'respond' with a quicker refresh -- and it never seems to happen.

- A

Unless it is a last hurrah before a major shift to mirrorless...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
KeithBreazeal said:
I'll bet they are in a major re-tooling phase right now. Sniff around for any expansion in acquired floor space and hiring. If Canon doesn't trim back the DSLR production line, the manufacturing line has to expand for mirrorless production.

Agree on a future production shift from SLR to mirrorless, but I'm skeptical on the re-tooling bit.

Unless I'm missing something, a future FF mirrorless body will still require very similar componentry, assembly operations and QE infrastructure to get made. They just won't have OVF + mirrorbox + AF module componentry on the bill of materials and they won't need to install those components on the manufacturing router. It's still an ILC in the broad sense and Canon makes those every day.

- A

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Let me throw my guesses into the ring.

> Camera Bodies:
> Prosumer mirrorless camera announced ahead of Photokina

Full frame mirrorless, something inbetween M5 and 200D in size. probably LP-E17 battery, but more energy efficient Digic 8 should help alleviate some of the battery anxieties. Dual SD slot, 24 to 30 mpx sensor, EF-M mount but bundled with screw-on mount plate (not an adaptor) that can take EF lenses with weather sealing.

Better weather sealing than the Sony range.

> One DSLR at Photokina

I predict that will be the 90D, with 24mpx sensor, 4K video a-la M50 and then early 2019 we'll see the M5 Mark II and the 7D Mark III both with 24mpx sensors and full width DPAF 4K video.

> Lenses:
> Two “professional” lenses ahead of Photokina

These I predict will be the new FF EF-M lenses, an ultra-wide angle zoom and a standard f/2.8 zoom.

> EF-M 32mm f/1.4 ahead of Photokina

I predict the surprise here is that this will also be a full-frame lens.

> New “kit” lens ahead of Photokina

Could be a new 18-55 iteration for the 90D but I suspect it'll be a slow zoom for the EF-M mirrorless, something like a 28-70 f/3.5-5.6

> Cinema:

I have no knowledge of Canon Cinema EOS stuff, so I won't pretend I know enough to make predictions here.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
Let me throw my guesses into the ring.

[truncated]

Full frame mirrorless, something inbetween M5 and 200D in size. probably LP-E17 battery, but more energy efficient Digic 8 should help alleviate some of the battery anxieties. Dual SD slot, 24 to 30 mpx sensor, EF-M mount but bundled with screw-on mount plate (not an adaptor) that can take EF lenses with weather sealing.

Ah, the cake-and-eat-it-too / build your own mount version of FF mirrorless. :D

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BeenThere said:
How would electrical signals get through the screw in mount plate you suggest? Break out the soldering iron. ⚡

More than just screws -- there'd have to be some ribbon connector or passthrough of some sort. I'd say it could be EF-M mount shape and just mount into the EF-M mount, but that would fall within the light path of the EF Mount, wouldn't it?

I bet it's possible but not nearly as simple as jolyonralph says. That's much more a lens mount conversion service at a Canon shop than something you'd do yourself. I just don't see it happening as a result.

- A

Upvote 0