What's your "lens that won't be made"

When I wake up before my alarm goes off (practically daily) my mind starts going like a train leaving the station. If I can get back to sleep before it picks up too much steam, I'm good to go. More often however, it slowly starts going, picks up speed, and within a few minutes is racing along the countryside thinking of anything and everything conceivable.

This morning, somehow I started thinking about my lens usage. I have the following prime lenses for my 6D:

EF 35mm f/2 IS USM

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM

EF 135mm f/2L USM

Then I started thinking about the fact that realistically, I could easily get along without the 85mm f/1.8 because the 100mmL is such a similar focal length and has IS to boot, and typically I stop the 85 down to at least 2.2 and usually 2.5 or 2.8. All that would really hold me back is the very fast focusing of the 85 which comes in handy when photographing my daughter (and when he becomes mobile) my son at play.

I also then started thinking about the fact that my favorite lens and focal length is truly the 135mmL and that I really only use the 35 and 50 indoors, more out of necessity than love of the focal length.

Finally, I thought about a tip I read one time regarding lens selection that, when deciding what focal length to purchase next, a person should consider halving, or doubling their current prime lens because that is such a significant leap that it provides some real value and versatility.

Then my mind went back to my least used lens, the 35mm f/2 IS USM. Double that focal length would be 70mm. That's close enough to 85mm, in my mind, that if I had a 70mm lens, I could probably do without the 85. Also... taking 70mm and doubling THAT would roughly be back to my favorite lens, the 135mmL. So... MY personal "lens that won't be made" but I'd buy in a heartbeat is...

35-70mm f/2L IS USM (or STM if there was no speed penalty in focusing). That's a 2x zoom range, so it's long enough to be useful but not so long that a very fast aperture (for a zoom lens) is prohibitive. It doesn't really give up much to many of the popular lenses in terms of aperture (the 35 f/2 lenses, 50 f/1.8, and 85 f/1.8 are the same, or 1/3 of a stop difference). And finally, it covers very common angles of view from (barely) wide angle to normal to (barely) short telephoto.

For this lens to be of use to someone like me, it would need to be of a similarly high image quality to Canon's latest L series glass. And of course the price would match - lol.

For me, I think I'd still rarely use the lens, simply due to my focal length preferences. But I'd be willing to pay handsomely to trim my lens collection from 3 lenses that (arguably) cover this (rough) focal range down to one, with little to no loss in wide open ability, and likely result in an improvement. And that's coming from someone who basically never uses zoom lenses. For me, I rarely use the 35 and 50 so being able to have a zoom cover both would be very valuable, especially when using the telephoto end, as I would do most of the time.

With my vast experience designing lenses in my head with absolutely zero real world experience or education, I'd assume that despite this lens having a large aperture, it could be made relatively small (for a zoom and especially for a zoom with a large aperture). Consider that the 35 f/2 IS, 50mm f/1.8, and 85mm f/1.8 are all small-to-medium sized lenses. I would think that a 35-70mm f/2L IS could be the same size or possibly smaller than the 24-70 f/2.8L II.

I don't think this lens will be made because the 24-70 lenses are so popular. Personally, I'd prefer a shorter zoom range with a larger aperture.

A 35-70mm f/2L IS USM plus the 135mm f/2L would be a dream combo for me. That's a 4x "zoom range" (yes, I know 71-134 is missing) at f/2 and would allow me to utilize my favorite lens almost all the time, but not miss out on the normal focal length range when I occasionally need it, and do so without necessitating 4 lenses.

So... what's YOUR "lens that won't be made". I'd love to hear about it, why it won't be made, but why you'd love it!

Feb 8, 2013
40-135f2
Even without IS this would be pretty heavy, but it would cannibalise practically every portrait length lens on the market. Never Going to Happen.

EF-S (EF-M?) 500f5.6
That's right, no IS. Non-IS means there's just less to go wrong, and it saves weight (the 400f5.6 is lighter than any other lens that size). Being EF-S would mean they can tune it specifically for the smaller sensor and not worry about large corners. Or EF-M would be cool if the new high end body is a decent performer (though it probably wouldn't be too hard to make both).
This would be my ideal backpacking lens, and it's never going to happen.

Upvote 0
Mar 16, 2014
My lens would be the 35 – 85mm f/2 with not more than a 77mm filter. This would go nice with a 16 – 35mm canon lens. If canon could make it faster and still keep the filter size at 77mm that would be wonderful.
I use the EF 135mm f/2L USM lots and feel that this would complement the 135 when I take pictures of my granddaughter at swim meets.
I have a Canon EF 24mm f1.4 that I use and don’t need or want the 24 – 70mm f/2.8

Upvote 0
My "lens that won't be made": 40-120/2.0 IS

9VIII said:
40-135f2
Even without IS this would be pretty heavy, but it would cannibalise practically every portrait length lens on the market. Never Going to Happen.

Actually, it could happen. If it were 40 - 120/2.0 IS, it'd be plenty long enough for portraits, and might not be all that heavy. It's the need for the wider end that makes the 24-70/2.8 II such a clunker, so limiting the wide end to 40mm and the long to 120mm might just ameliorate the need for a monster front element a bit and keep the filter size to 77mm. (A 120/2.0 prime would only need a 67mm filter size, of course.) I'm hoping such a lens would be noticeably _lighter_ than the 24-70/2.8 IS.

If it were as good optically as the 24-70/2.8 II it'd be a real joy for landscapers. 70mm just isn't long enough much of the time, but the 35mm and wider range is covered by the 16-35/4.0. Also it'd be great for concert/event photography where you can approach the stage. The f/2.0 and IS bits would be real useful.

It's interesting that someone else likes 40mm as the wide end. I find 50mm to be way too narrow a lot of the time. I used the 40/2.0 Voightlander manual focus pancake lens on the 5DII as my normal lens on the 5DII for a couple of years, and it was fine for family shots, although sometimes things needed a lot of cropping.

Upvote 0
I just posted a list of dream-lenses in another section. I think they all would sell very well, some like hotcakes, including the
40-85mm/2.0 L IS USM, which is pretty close to the 35-70/2.0 demanded by the threat-opener. If we ever get to buy a 38-80/2.0 instead, we will both be happy - as so many fashion-, portrait-, wedding- and reportage-photographers would. I think someone will do it eventually.

However, here I will list the one's from my list which unfortunately seem much more unlikely ever to be made (going by manufacturers psychology and fears).

EF 18/2.0 L USM with slight (50%) fish-eye-characteristics intended for underwater-photography and close-ups

TS-E 20-30mm/4.0 (IS)
TS-E 35-60mm/4.5 (IS)
TS-E 65-120mm/5.6 (IS)

EF 66mm/1.2 L IS Macro/Portrait

EF 800mm/8.0 L IS USM

Upvote 0