Which are the best Lenses for Portrat and Which is for Macro?

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I seek good lenses for Portrait and Macro what you suggest?
I have Nikon D3500 and it is a good camera. I'm grateful it's a camera to make good photos. But I interested a bit more about lenses for Portrait and Macro.
Portraits are all about content and lighting, the lens is less important. With tighter head shots where you want some depth of field and a smaller aperture even a kit zoom lens can produce great images as long as you avoid the wide angle end.

For full length portraits where you will probably want shallower depth of field and wider aperture a good starting point on an aps camera is a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

Don’t know anything about Nikkor macro lenses.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I seek good lenses for Portrait and Macro what you suggest?
I have Nikon D3500 and it is a good camera. I'm grateful it's a camera to make good photos. But I interested a bit more about lenses for Portrait and Macro.
Get one of these Nikon AF-S FX Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f2.8G ED, it will do both portraits and macro perfectly on you crop sensor camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
This is a Canon forum, co most of us only really know Canon cameras and lenses.

The term Good lens often means a professional grade lens to us, that usually means a high price.

I'm assuming that you are asking about lenses for a D3500. privatebydesign has given a good suggestion for a lens that would be good. It is a full frame design so it is more expensive at around $600. 60 mm is a good focal length for your camera, this lens would be my choice and it is in stock at B&H Cameras.

A less expensive lens that is designed for a APS-C sensor would be the Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G. Its $276 but most stores are out of stock. It should be in stock soon. It is a wider lens but will work for both portrait and macro at half the price.

Be careful selecting lenses for Nikon cameras, it can be frustrating. You should stay with G series lenses for your camera to assure full compatibility. Thats important when you look at used lenses and want autofocus. Don't expect autofocus to work for macro shots.

Additionally, Nikon will not Warranty or even repair what is known as Graymarket lenses. There are sellers who sell them at discounts but do not warn you. That includes places like Amazon and ebay as well as many online sellers.

A authorized Nikon dealer will not sell you a gray market lens. You can get one from B&H Photo, Adorama Photo, or even Best Buy. A lens that specifically says sold and shipped by Amazon will not be gray market.

Best Buy has the 60mm in stock, but the 40mm is backordered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0