Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
No. I asked @Canon Rumors Guy if his definitive declaration that there would be never be "another 5D DSLR," because "it would be an economic misstep if Canon made such a camera," was based on reporting from his sources or if that was just his opinion.

For, I don't know 40 years maybe, the most accurate predictor of what Canon would be doing has been to look at what Nikon is doing. Nikon has said they will be introducing new DSLR models and new lenses for DSLRs in the coming year. It would be a very significant development and very much out of character if Canon were to completely cede the DSLR market to Nikon. So, I'm just wondering if Canon Rumors Guy has sources that are confirming that, or if he is just voicing his own opinion, which he has every right to do, but which carries no more weight than the opinion of anyone else on this forum.
I must bookmark Canon Rumors Guy's post because in a few years time (when the mirrorless frenzy has died down / matured, take your pick, ) and Canon bring out a 5DV I'm just gonna love quoting that post. :)

There's a huge amount of up to date EF lenses available, and no doubt if Nikon do introduce the D870 (or whatever) Canon will be watching closely. Also looks like Pentax are going to hang their hat on the slr model continuing, so it's going to be interesting to see who's got it wrong and who's right.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi,
Have you heard confirmations about the fact that we won't see a 5D Mark V? Or is it still a possibility given the fact that NikonRumors now reports as almost a certainty a replacement for the D850?

Thanks

If anyone is taking bets, I'd be willing to put down a significant bit of $$ that the 5D5 (DSLR) won't ever see the day of light.

I think its pretty much a given that Canon is firmly on the mirrorless road now and not looking back.

Just my $0.02,
cayenne

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Well, on the Fuji GFX100 the pixel shift update not a real succes, but I think it's a matter of a decent update to fix this. 300mp is huge! I once saw a 400 from a Hasselblad, that was insane good and very detailed, but also an attack on the iMac. But 90mpx sounds already very good....I'm in..!!!

Hmm...as far as I know, my GFX100 has not had a firmware update to enable pixel shift.
The last one had folks hoping for that, but it did not appear in that update.

I believe that it is coming, I believe Fuji said it was on the roadmap, but it has not been released to the public yet.

I'd LOVE to see and try it out when it comes out.

I saw a YouTube video about the very high end Hassy using pixel shift to shoot old paintings and other artwork....very interesting.

But as far as I know the GFX 100 pixel shift firmware update has not been released yet.....I own one. I love it.

I'm quite anxious to see what Canon comes up with for a high pixel count sensor camera....

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hmm...as far as I know, my GFX100 has not had a firmware update to enable pixel shift.
The last one had folks hoping for that, but it did not appear in that update.

I believe that it is coming, I believe Fuji said it was on the roadmap, but it has not been released to the public yet.

I'd LOVE to see and try it out when it comes out.

I saw a YouTube video about the very high end Hassy using pixel shift to shoot old paintings and other artwork....very interesting.

But as far as I know the GFX 100 pixel shift firmware update has not been released yet.....I own one. I love it.

I'm quite anxious to see what Canon comes up with for a high pixel count sensor camera....

HTH,

cayenne

Crap...I just googled to make sure.

It appears that Fuji DID just release pixel shift for GFX100.....looks like right about at Thanksgiving, so, maybe that's why I missed it...too busy eating and cooking.

Gonna look into this....appears at first glance this one requires external application from camera to assemble these images.....looking into it now.

C

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
"Printing large" is the key. NOT landscape. My point. When printing large - be it a movie poster or advertisement, more MP help. If you are cropping landscape, friendly advice: Reconsider your technique. I always find it odd that people are conditioned to believe high MP is for landscape. And why so defensive in life? :)
I'd agree that printing large is the key, and not necessarily landscapes. But the truth is the vast majority of large prints most of us here will make are landscapes, so for most forum readers it is also fair to say landscapes benefit from higher MP more than most. Unless of course we get into the pixels on duck wildlife shooters scenarios...

As for the advice to "Reconsider your technique" as a suggestion to stop cropping for landscape images, that is simply misguided. Many occasions don't allow for accurate capture framing to the desired output, most of the time my intended output composition isn't 3:2 so a crop is unavoidable. Personally my prime lenses vastly out perform my zooms particularly towards the edges of the frame, so I can take a sharper image with a prime even if I don't have the exact focal length I need at capture and intend to crop. I use T/S lenses a lot and they are all fixed focal lengths so my end composition rarely aligns with the perspective and focal length T/S lenses I have but the lenses other characteristics demand their use. If you don't have T/S lenses then you might need to use the transform tool to throw away many of your original pixels to get the perspective corrected.

No, there are many reasons cropping is unavoidable in landscape images and for those reasons for some people and situations more pixels might be a benefit.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
I suspect this will be more than a scaling of the 90D sensor. The AF on my R5 is definitely better than the AF on my 90D. I'm sure some of that is attributable to the DigicX, but I suspect there is also some new magic in the sensor that will be ported to the R5s. There is also the matter of read speed and once again, the R5 sensor is giant step beyond the 90D and the R5s will need all the read speed it can muster with that many pixels and particularly with pixel shift. Lastly, the R5 has almost a full stop more DR at base ISO than the 90D, so hard to imagine an R5s without the dual gain feature.

To your question, I think it will have enough reach for the 7D users, but they also seem to be a price conscious lot (to be polite), so they will still be yammering for their R7. They may eventually get it, but not before Canon fully tests the market to see if they will choke up for an R5s :). Personally, I would much rather see an upgraded M5 mark II (or whatever it might be called).

I don't think 7d users are so much price conscience but rather pixel density/fps conscience. With Canon you can either have pixel density 5ds(r) or FPS 1dx but not both until the 7d2. That has changed with the r5 of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Didn't want to go down this rathole in response, but your point on cropping is exactly right. In addition, I have had situations where I shot wider because the lens I had didn't zoom enough or otherwise was limited in moving to tighten the composition (standing on a cliff edge) and used cropping to effectively isolate a portion of the composition. Too many examples to cite, but don't want to get into an argument over the point. As I said, and it is not a slight, if you don't need the megapixels don't buy them. There are certainly drawbacks on file size, storage, etc. I, for one, will be buying this body as soon as it arrives. Won't be pre-ordering this time!

Arnold Newman cropped so don't sweat it. Once the anti cropper is better at composition than Arnold Newman we can bow down to his greatness.

Upvote 0
MY 5D3, not THE 5D3. Mine's been chugging along very nicely for 100k+ images since the 5Ds/r launch. Personal experience post by me, sales post by you yet you still felt the need to respond.
Oh poor didums, didn't you realise this was a discussion forum. Maybe next time if your so pedantic spell out in detail what you're talking about.

• Haha
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0
Canon could easily add pixel shift in firmware though. If there are ever to do it, it will be in the next R5/R6 firmware release. More useful for the R6 I think given the small resolution but pixel shift for the R5 works well, it could impact the R5s sales.

I thought I read somewhere that it was questionable that pixel shift would even work on a camera with an AA filter.

Upvote 0
Crap...I just googled to make sure.

It appears that Fuji DID just release pixel shift for GFX100.....looks like right about at Thanksgiving, so, maybe that's why I missed it...too busy eating and cooking.

Gonna look into this....appears at first glance this one requires external application from camera to assemble these images.....looking into it now.

C

I saw a video on Youtube from a bold tattoo guy who showed it and it didn't look good. But a matter of going back to the drawing room and making it better.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Prograde offer a combined USH-II SD card + CFe card reader which is nice but I concur that the memory card costs exceeded my original budget and I only got 128GB.
With the R6 being 20mp, does using a USH-I SD card slow down the maximum frame rate/buffer? It does slow down the R5.
I didn't scientifically test it, but UHS-1 cards seemed only to affect the time it took the buffer to clear after it was full. Frame rate and max shots didn't seem to be a concern. WIth the UHS-II cards (I have the 1667x ones from Lexar, 128gb) the buffer emptied from full in low single digit seconds. It was maybe 10seconds with a sandisk USH -1 Extreme

-Brian

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
And I would still do the same pictures... just that now I could possibly crop so much I could do 10 versions of the same picture :)
That is why I scoff at people who say that a camera can have too much resolution.
With enough resolution, I could take a picture of everybody all at once and then retire.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'd agree that printing large is the key, and not necessarily landscapes. But the truth is the vast majority of large prints most of us here will make are landscapes, so for most forum readers it is also fair to say landscapes benefit from higher MP more than most. Unless of course we get into the pixels on duck wildlife shooters scenarios...

As for the advice to "Reconsider your technique" as a suggestion to stop cropping for landscape images, that is simply misguided. Many occasions don't allow for accurate capture framing to the desired output, most of the time my intended output composition isn't 3:2 so a crop is unavoidable. Personally my prime lenses vastly out perform my zooms particularly towards the edges of the frame, so I can take a sharper image with a prime even if I don't have the exact focal length I need at capture and intend to crop. I use T/S lenses a lot and they are all fixed focal lengths so my end composition rarely aligns with the perspective and focal length T/S lenses I have but the lenses other characteristics demand their use. If you don't have T/S lenses then you might need to use the transform tool to throw away many of your original pixels to get the perspective corrected.

No, there are many reasons cropping is unavoidable in landscape images and for those reasons for some people and situations more pixels might be a benefit.
I'd agree. I think one of the biggest users will be landscape photographer. They are often people most likely to print and frame images. It's not bad technique to want high MP images. I love detail in images and would love the ability to zoom and zoom deep into an image and spot small details. This is probably not much use in a portrait when you often end up hiding detail (like imperfections). 300 MP might be overkill and files size a nightmare to manage but for me its an exciting development. I look forward to it.

Upvote 0