Will the Canon EOS R5s come with a pixel shift like feature? [CR2]

That is why I scoff at people who say that a camera can have too much resolution.
With enough resolution, I could take a picture of everybody all at once and then retire.
The way my PC works now (2700X+1080Ti and 32GB RAM) going from my 22MP 5D Mark III to 90MP RAW files could come with a good increase in batch editing times. That is if I was still taking 1000s of pictures in a weeding (I quit a few years ago, not just for hobby)... But for that I would likely use an R6 or my current 5DIII, then swap to the R5s just for group pictures. Nice idea

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I saw a video on Youtube from a bold tattoo guy who showed it and it didn't look good. But a matter of going back to the drawing room and making it better.
LOL, I think I know who you're talking about...he is quite a *ahem*..character for sure.

I just downloaded the firmware update, and the app used to combine the 16 images, I'll try to play with it some this weekend and maybe report back here.
It might give insight into what the R5 IBIS pixel shift holds in store.

Ugh..Im already running out of disk space on my working drives...need to come up with a better solution.

Anyway...this could be interesting.

C

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Thanks much appreciated!
I went ahead and bought your e-book, Keith. I was impressed with the online presentation of your book, and would enjoy learning more about TS lenses. Since Canon is rumored to be coming out with a couple RF versions with them, it might be something I would enjoy (I've never done that before). So thanks again for having written it!

Upvote 0
Do you have a link to US sales of the book to see US prices, etc?
Or do you not sell to the US?

Looks and sounds like an interesting book indeed.

TIA,
cayenne
Thanks - The (paper) book is not listed on Amazon.com as being available until next June I'm afraid. The UK publishers will ship overseas https://crowood.com/faq.asp

My direct involvement with the book ended at proofreading, but I will ask the next week about sales

If you're curious about tilt/shift, I've just finished a review of the Laowa 15mm shift lens on my 5Ds and RP (with a brief comparison with the TS-E17)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I bought your book on TS-E . Very good I thought. It's hard to find such a comprehensive view of them elsewhere.
I have just started reading it. By the time I'm done, I'll want to rent another TS-E lens to play with. I've tried the 24mm and the 17mm. I know I want to get the 24mm again some day, maybe even buy one. But I'm thinking about a longer one for renting, probably a macro lens that can go to 1:1 with tubes. Perhaps the book will help me decide what to rent next.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The one feature that I (personally) would really like to see is "aperture bracketing". I like to take different aperture shots of the same thing and see which was best later in post. If they added that alone then I'd want to buy it.
I'm not too shy to ask a stupid question now and then, so this seems to be the time for another one:

What would be the difference with that from just using TV mode and a set ISO? Wouldn't that force the camera to use different apertures to bracket exposures? I've not tried that to see why it wouldn't work. I have always just used AV and changed manually between shots.

• Love
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
W
I'm not too shy to ask a stupid question now and then, so this seems to be the time for another one:

What would be the difference with that from just using TV mode and a set ISO? Wouldn't that force the camera to use different apertures to bracket exposures? I've not tried that to see why it wouldn't work. I have always just used AV and changed manually between shots.
I just tried it, and it works! Woo-hoo!!! :love:
I don't know why I never thought of that before (well, probably because I'm a lot 'denser' than I thought :ROFLMAO: ).
Thank you for this suggestion. You've just made my day!!! :p

Oh Wait, ... It's not quite what I had in mind.
It changes the aperture only in the bracketing, so it changes the exposure in each (yes, since that's the only way I know how to force it to take the different brackets).
I didn't want it to change the exposure, I just wanted it to change the speed(or ISO) and aperture both to give the same exposure.
I wonder if there's another way to do that? :unsure:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Will be interesting to see how this one shapes up. I am not as concerned about the IBIS and focusing system as most of the work I do with the 5DSR is on tripod and shutter release (live view). My questions will have to do with higher ISO noise for night photography and lens ability to resolve to this high of resolution. Will be a killer landscape camera if the DR keeps up with the R5 and any ISO noise is tame.

Will also be interesting to see how if they improve the EVF for night photography (or if they can). It is still one of main reasons I like the OVF on my 5DSR.
I recall there is an article of Lensrental about which lenses could perform well on super high pixel cameras. Surprisingly not all top lenses doing well. You might want to dig the blogs of Lensrental.

Upvote 0
patiently/ not patiently waiting for more info on this camera. this will be the camera that either keeps me using canon or switch to fuji gfx system. pixel shift is pretty meh after seeing the results of the gfx 100. it almost seems like more work and too narrow of application than its worth. give me great IQ, impressive DR, low noise and the ability to hike into the back country and not worry about light rain or melting snow from trees. not worried about size or weight. I currently hike with a 1ds mark iii so anything they make now will be lighter. lets get this thing moving already

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
W

Well, I'll be damned! It WORKS!
I just tried it, and it works! Woo-hoo!!! :love:
I don't know why I never thought of that before (well, probably because I'm a lot 'denser' than I thought :ROFLMAO: ).
Thank you for this suggestion. You've just made my day!!! :p

Oh Wait, ... It's not quite what I had in mind.
It changes the aperture only in the bracketing, so it changes the exposure in each (yes, since that's the only way I know how to force it to take the different brackets).
I didn't want it to change the exposure, I just wanted it to change the speed(or ISO) and aperture both to give the same exposure.
I wonder if there's another way to do that? :unsure:
Oh, well. Just use my low tech version of AV mode and change aperture between shots. On my 6D2 that is just a turn of the top wheel, 1/3 stop per click in that mode, so no trouble really,

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Oh, well. Just use my low tech version of AV mode and change aperture between shots. On my 6D2 that is just a turn of the top wheel, 1/3 stop per click in that mode, so no trouble really,
I guess I'll go back to my old way: I use AV mode with a set ISO and -2/-1/0 EV bracket for every press-and-hold of the button and pick the best one in post. I can change the aperture dial and repeat that a few times to get aperture bracketing. It'd sure be nice if Canon allowed aperture-bracketing in the future, and even better if they allowed dual bracketing, so a single button press (preferable to press-and-hold) would do all that for me - Yeah I know, "In my dreams!" :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have just started reading it. By the time I'm done, I'll want to rent another TS-E lens to play with. I've tried the 24mm and the 17mm. I know I want to get the 24mm again some day, maybe even buy one. But I'm thinking about a longer one for renting, probably a macro lens that can go to 1:1 with tubes. Perhaps the book will help me decide what to rent next.
I can’t say enough good things about the TS-E 50, absolutely fantastic lens and it takes TC’s with ease.

Upvote 0
I'd agree. I think one of the biggest users will be landscape photographer. They are often people most likely to print and frame images. It's not bad technique to want high MP images. I love detail in images and would love the ability to zoom and zoom deep into an image and spot small details. This is probably not much use in a portrait when you often end up hiding detail (like imperfections). 300 MP might be overkill and files size a nightmare to manage but for me its an exciting development. I look forward to it.

Possibly, although landscapes tend not to do well with pixel shift modes. Subtle foliage movements and atmospheric distortions are enough to muddy the composite results, it can work well but it's often a bit hit or miss. Product photography and architecture tend to do best with pixel shift.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What in particular? Why might I want to rent this lens rather than something else? What in particular would I want to shoot with it?
For me it hits a sweet spot in the TS-E range, it is stunningly sharp across the frame but still has some character, and it gives a great fov when shift stitched.

Don't forget the biggest barrier for the EF TS-E's and the biggest benefit RF T/S's will get over them is the limitations of tilt with a small mirror box. Canon make longer TS-E's but limiting them to 12º of tilt seriously limits their effectiveness, 12º of tilt is twice as effective at 50mm than it is at 100mm yet the 50mm lens takes a 1.4 and 2x TC so you end up with three very useful focal lengths, 50/70/100 all with the T/S functionality. The longer focal lengths might be longer but they become less and less effective with the 12º tilt/swing hard limit.

I do as much as possible with it, from product shots to architectural exteriors and interior detail shots, to shift stitched landscapes. Heck I've even experimented on some handheld concert photography with it. Your imagination is the only limit with the lens.

Upvote 0