Wrong Camera Settings = Missed Theft Photos = 'Doh!! (Head Banging into Wall...)

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Mt Spokane Photography said:
If I had a dime for all the things like that that have happened over the last 60 years, I could at least make a nice down payment on a D1X.

I once photographed a friends son in a championship football game for him. After taking about 40 shots, I realized that there was no film in my camera.

The number of times the counter on my camera got past the size of the film I was using is embarrassing...

Eventually I learned to check that the rewind lever moved, but it still happened on occasion.

As the saying goes, if you haven't truly screwed up, persevere :)

Upvote 0
The first time I read your story I thought hang on, you see guys nicking a relatively inexpensive ladder and then grab a few thousand dollars worth of camera equipment to point at them. If I were a thief that nice white lens with a good looking camera may have seemed like the better option!

My first thought would be to grab a baseball bat or worse! Probably not that smart either.

Anyway, sorry that you were a victim of this crime and hope you can claim on insurance at least.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
The first time I read your story I thought hang on, you see guys nicking a relatively inexpensive ladder and then grab a few thousand dollars worth of camera equipment to point at them. If I were a thief that nice white lens with a good looking camera may have seemed like the better option!

My first thought would be to grab a baseball bat or worse! Probably not that smart either.

Anyway, sorry that you were a victim of this crime and hope you can claim on insurance at least.

LOL! I hear 'ya! I thought as I ran back in the house, "Gee, it sure would have felt good to heave a brick at them as they passed by!" I didn't have a white on the camera, it was a 24-70. But I see your point. The ladder isn't worth turning in to insurance, esp with what can happen to homeowner's insurance rates these days. Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
TexPhoto said:
In my camera club we call the green box "Bigfoot Mode". When bigfoot walks across the road in front of you, bigfoot mode will get the shot regardless of your crazy settings. Your kid's first step, people stealing stuff, Large ape like beasts at Walmart: bigfoot mode...

Love it! I've never heard this before but it's cool. Not bad advice. Just no RAW in Bigfoot Mode. :(

No Raw in Bigfoot Mode? All my Canons are se to RAW + JPEG and it stays that way in bigfoot mode or any other. What camera do you have?

Upvote 0
TexPhoto said:
RustyTheGeek said:
TexPhoto said:
In my camera club we call the green box "Bigfoot Mode". When bigfoot walks across the road in front of you, bigfoot mode will get the shot regardless of your crazy settings. Your kid's first step, people stealing stuff, Large ape like beasts at Walmart: bigfoot mode...

Love it! I've never heard this before but it's cool. Not bad advice. Just no RAW in Bigfoot Mode. :(

No Raw in Bigfoot Mode? All my Canons are se to RAW + JPEG and it stays that way in bigfoot mode or any other. What camera do you have?

Heck, I don't know. Maybe I'm speaking out of my ass. :eek: I could have sworn when I went to choose RAW a few times in BigFoot Mode, it wasn't available (or the RAWs were missing on the card) but it was a long time ago. Maybe different camera or I just didn't get it at the time. Maybe once you choose it in the creative settings it stays. Sorry, I don't have time to go look right now. Thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
RustyTheGeek said:
TexPhoto said:
RustyTheGeek said:
TexPhoto said:

Heck, I don't know. Maybe I'm speaking out of my ass. :eek: I could have sworn when I went to choose RAW a few times in BigFoot Mode, it wasn't available (or the RAWs were missing on the card) but it was a long time ago. Maybe different camera or I just didn't get it at the time. Maybe once you choose it in the creative settings it stays. Sorry, I don't have time to go look right now. Thanks for the heads up!
Just now tried green box bigfoot mode on 6D, got a CR2 and a jpg.
Oddly, I shot one frame in GBBF, one in P, one in Av, file sizes were all similar.
File names of both CR2 and jpg of those shot in GBBF began with IMG, P and Av files began with _MG.

Upvote 0
tolusina said:
RustyTheGeek said:
TexPhoto said:
RustyTheGeek said:
TexPhoto said:

Oddly, I shot one frame in GBBF, one in P, one in Av, file sizes were all similar.
File names of both CR2 and jpg of those shot in GBBF began with IMG, P and Av files began with _MG.

OK, good to know! Thanks! Um... I think the _MG means you have your camera set to a different color space than sRGB. Like Adobe RGB perhaps. I've never set that myself but I think I just read it in another thread here on CR so if you're not aware, you might want to check that. And your test above may indicate that in GBBF mode, the camera always shoots in sRGB. Hmmm...

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
RustyTheGeek said:
..... Um... I think the _MG means you have your camera set to a different color space than sRGB. Like Adobe RGB perhaps. I've never set that myself but I think I just read it in another thread here on CR so if you're not aware, you might want to check that. And your test above may indicate that in GBBF mode, the camera always shoots in sRGB. Hmmm...
I think you nailed it there.

Upvote 0
I once photographed a friends son in a championship football game for him. After taking about 40 shots, I realized that there was no film in my camera.

Was it an AE-1?

I did that with my AE-1 far too many times; including a "once in a lifetime" photoshoot. Head - Wall - Banging - Commence

Upvote 0
tolusina said:
RustyTheGeek said:
TexPhoto said:
RustyTheGeek said:
TexPhoto said:

I am pretty sure the size and type of file you get is completely independent of settings on the Mode Dial. I used to call it green box idiot mode btw, but I realized this gave the students the wrong idea. We try to teach: Shoot Manual, A/Tv/P or Green Box when the situation calls for it, or you prefer it, not because You are so cool you can use Manual, or so confused you have to go idiot Bigfoot.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
richy said:
Maybe one of us could have better luck pulling something from the overexposed files?

That's the problem with digital white clipping (unlike raising shadows and denoising): if the data is not there, it's lost for good. You could try to reconstruct the plate id by matching them with all possible letters, but that's forensic technique, not photography :-\

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
richy said:
Maybe one of us could have better luck pulling something from the overexposed files?

That's the problem with digital white clipping (unlike raising shadows and denoising): if the data is not there, it's lost for good. You could try to reconstruct the plate id by matching them with all possible letters, but that's forensic technique, not photography :-\

I say bring it on. You never know if one of us has some forensic techniques up his sleeve. (or back at the office)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
AcutancePhotography said:

Was it an AE-1?

I did that with my AE-1 far too many times; including a "once in a lifetime" photoshoot. Head - Wall - Banging - Commence

I can't remember for sure, but I had a FT about that time. It was a long time ago.

Upvote 0