The upcomming Dead of EOS DSLR / EF-line

Apr 25, 2011
they have no product to sell....

btw: that screenshot is not related to the thailand survey.
it´s from a different survey done in america.
Doesn't matter. My first-time purchased mirrorless camera was Olympus Stylus Epic.

Those surveys don't tell what you pretend they tell. If disproportionately many mirrorless are sold to younger people, it doesn't mean that older people buy disproportionately many SLRs. It may as well say that younger people buy disproportionately many cameras in total.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
so you predict a 2% growth of mirrorless markt share in 2019. is that what you say?

and what is the source for this number?

No I make no such prediction (nor did I earlier in this thread, despite your carefully selective quoting earlier where you excluded the, "If that YTD rate continues," clause of my post).

The numbers are from CIPA (2018 July data, total shipments Jan-Jul). Simple math is required.

what facts? care to elaborate

Lots of 'alternative facts' here, for example:
canon has produced mirrorless aps-c yes.... with sub par specs to protect the DSLR line.

canon has to thank it´s reputation and low price that the EOS-M line sold so well.

Your statement about Canon's motivations is...fact?

Canon's reputation and the low price of the M line being the only reason for the M line's popularity is a...fact? A real fact is that in general a given M model is priced higher than closest equivalent DSLR. Or maybe you were referring to the 'fire sale' on the original M (that's when I bought mine)...but the fact is that fire sale didn't happen in Asia, the largest MILC market (and the dichotomy was much larger back then), and the full-price EOS M quickly became the #2 MILC in Japan, behind only a 2-gen-old, deeply discounted Sony NEX.

oh.. there it is again. when did i say imminent?
what does imminent mean for you....? the meaning may changes with age.

.you are maybe so old that the past is the only thing you think of. but the past is obviously not the future.

its´ strange that some peope here can´t have a discussion without making it personal on some levels. it´s a bad character trait.

Yes, it's definitely a bad character trait. You should work on that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
if the DSLR survives it is because canon does everything to protect it not because people prefer the DSLR.

Really?

Canon cares about making a profit and they will sell what makes money.
If Canon is selling DSLR's a year from now it is because people want to buy DSLR's.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon cares about making a profit and they will sell what makes money.
If Canon is selling DSLR's a year from now it is because people want to buy DSLR's.
Exactly. Canon cares about what the market wants, not what a handful of forum dwellers want. But many of those forum dwellers seem to think they represent the market. Delusions of self-importance, hubris, or just plain cluelessness. But Canon doesn't mind, they'll just keep on making what sells.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I highly doubt we will see a 5DV slapper. Why would we? What's the point when they could release a mirrorless version with more bells and whistles? I think there might be a 1DXIII.
The point is that DSLRs still outsell MILCs. If there's market for it (and there almost certainly will be), Canon will make one.

So far this year, MILC marketshare has gone from 35% to 37%. At that weak growth rate, DSLRs will be here for a long time to come.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I highly doubt we will see a 5DV slapper. Why would we? What's the point when they could release a mirrorless version with more bells and whistles?

Other than RF lenses, what bells and whistles could a mirrorless version exclusively have? Technically, I can think of none, but since I’m not omniscient I’ll keep asking that question (I’ve probably posed it in one form or another 30 times, never receiving a response I agree with, i.e. something a mirrorless camera could have than an SLR can not).

A SLR version could have an EVF (in addition to the OVF), and everything else besides the short flange and the lenses it allows.

To some a slightly narrower body is a bell, so it’s fair to ring that one here. My response is that’s a trade, since a mirrorless camera can not have an OVF nor purpose-designed AF and metering sensors (at least not without moving the sensor out of the path before using them, or moving them out of the path before capture).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I highly doubt we will see a 5DV slapper. Why would we? What's the point when they could release a mirrorless version with more bells and whistles? I think there might be a 1DXIII.
One variable might be the sensor that is developed for the next 5d cameras. If the sensor is a high megapixel replacement for the 5DS sensor, maybe there might be a separate 5DSII DSLR version and a 5DR version but no 5DV DSLR version.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
reported. Incessant ad hominem attacks. Why can't you state your opinions and arguments without personal attacks?
Because the opinions and arguments are routinely being ignored in favour of ranting zealotry on behalf of mirrorless, based entirely on fantasy and made-up facts?

How - exactly - do you argue with someone whose tinfoil hat has clearly fallen off?

Upvote 0

JuanMa

Canon New F1
May 10, 2018
Spain
500px.com
The point is that DSLRs still outsell MILCs. If there's market for it (and there almost certainly will be), Canon will make one.

So far this year, MILC marketshare has gone from 35% to 37%. At that weak growth rate, DSLRs will be here for a long time to come.
Electronic will sooner or later always replace mechanical, it’s more reliable, cheaper and easier to repair. No doubt DSLRs will be replaced by MILCs, it’s just a matter of time.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Electronic will sooner or later always replace mechanical, it’s more reliable, cheaper and easier to repair. No doubt DSLRs will be replaced by MILCs, it’s just a matter of time.
The second sentence does not follow from the first one, as interchangeable lenses are by themselves that "mechanical" component that might be worth getting rid of.

Upvote 0

JuanMa

Canon New F1
May 10, 2018
Spain
500px.com
The second sentence does not follow from the first one, as interchangeable lenses are by themselves that "mechanical" component that might be worth getting rid of.
Mechanical parts that can be replaced by electronic always end up being replaced. At least, it is what I’ve been seeing in the industry. I love my 5DM2 and M4 but no doubt that sooner or later the DSLRs will be replaced by MILCs.

Upvote 0
Given the choice between a 5D mk5 and a mirrorless camera with similar specs (dual card slot for example) I would choose the 5D mk5 every time.
Apart from the fact that I prefer using an optical viewfinder, a 5D mk5 would allow me to use all my existing lenses without modification, whereas the mirrorless camera requires me to use an adapter or purchase some of the new RF mount lenses.

The point that many people seem to be missing is that, as people move to the mirrorless camera systems there will be a lot of very high quality lenses entering the second hand market. Why would a young photographer buy an expensive new full frame mirrorless camera when he/she could buy a professional grade DSLR and lenses for a fraction of the cost? It might even start a new trend. Once Canon/Nikon realise that a lot of photographers are still using DSLRs and lenses, they are likely to try and sell some new products to them. After all they already have the expertise and if the market exists then I am sure they will try to exploit it.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Mechanical parts that can be replaced by electronic always end up being replaced.
Sure. And mechanical zooms end up being replaced by electronic zooms.

I love my 5DM2 and M4 but no doubt that sooner or later the DSLRs will be replaced by MILCs.
You do not have doubts, but I do. ILCs by themselves are a shrinking niche, in part because of the mechanics involved in changing the lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Electronic system do offer advantages. Reliability and ease of repair aren't necessarily among them. Electronics fail too, just for different reasons...and most consumer electronics items are cheaper to replace than to repair. Nor do those advantages mean certain replacement, and even if replacement happens 'sooner or later', later might be measured in decades. Electronically-controlled faucets, toilet valves, and door locks have been available for years. How prevalent are they in homes today?

Upvote 0