Canon appears to have confirmed IBIS is on the roadmap

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A slide from an EOS R/RF lens presentation confirms Canon is working on IBIS for future EOS R cameras. The system is called “All Optical IS” and it looks like in-lens and in-body image stabilization will work in harmony.
This should appease a lot of people and I would expect to see it in the third EOS R camera body within the next year, which we’ll have more on later.
image credit // FroKnowsPhoto

Continue reading...

Last edited:
It will appease a lot of people only if it has specs similar to competition. If it matches / tops those specs only with IS lenses and deliver significantly worse specs with lenses without IS I expect people to moan again. Since Canon is putting IS almost everywhere, I expect that it is exactly what is going to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
It will appease a lot of people only if it has specs similar to competition. If it matches / tops those specs only with IS lenses and deliver significantly worse specs with lenses without IS I expect people to moan again. Since Canon is putting IS almost everywhere, I expect that it is exactly what is going to happen.
Based on 99% of the reactions on the internet and social media to current releases people are going to moan, complain, and meme no matter what Canon releases or doesn't release in the future. Well actually the sky will be falling based on the rumors of what is going to be released and then no matter what is actually released it will be evidence that the sky has indeed fallen. ;)

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
people are going to moan, complain, and meme no matter what Canon releases or doesn't release in the future.

Well yes, because they have to earn our money. Shoving-out half-baked products like the R isn't the way to achieve that beyond a small hard-core.

So now they've indicated that IBIS will appear in a future product, why bother with the R or RP? Neither are going to give a professional user an edge over a 5D4 and both seem to have a limited lifespan until made obsolete.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Well yes, because they have to earn our money. Shoving-out half-baked products like the R isn't the way to achieve that beyond a small hard-core.

So now they've indicated that IBIS will appear in a future product, why bother with the R or RP? Neither are going to give a professional user an edge over a 5D4 and both seem to have a limited lifespan until made obsolete.
A professional user will know exactly which camera suits their needs. Do you?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

I'm not sure the R or RP is intended to give a professional edge over the 5D IV. In some instances they will, but being priced below the 5D IV both the R and RP are likely targeted at different buyers.

Why would anyone choose the RP or R over a 5D IV or the upcoming pro model? Because not everyone can afford or needs a professional camera. The RP is priced so low that people who felt that they could only afford an APS-C or m4/3 sensor camera (new) may be able to re-evaluate that decision. I'll bet that the bulk of potential buyers for this camera will come from APS-C cameras and really they just want the easier to access bokeh and improved low light performance. You might also see some current Canon full frame users pick this up as a backup considering how small it is.

Not everything is a spec battle, sometimes the cheaper product will win despite its shortcomings.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Both are single slot cameras, which tells me that they are not aimed at the professional user.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Both are single slot cameras, which tells me that they are not aimed at the professional user.
Most users are not professionals, and many of the members on this site are not professionals. A arguement might better be why bother with professional cameras, since so few of them are sold. Canon makes most of its camera sales profits on entry level cameras.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
Why did Canon ever bother making all those digital Rebel cameras? They never held a candle to the 1 or 5 series camera in terms of specs. No professional photographer ever evaluated Canon's line up and said "Yup, all Rebels, all the time, for all my jobs." Notice how the press release for the RP starts (emphasis mine):
Responding to the demand from amateur and advanced amateur photographers for an entry-level, full-frame mirrorless camera ...
You are proving my point. You are (rightfully so) focused on your wants and needs in a camera which sounds like something at the professional level. Canon is worried about a line up of camera bodies and lenses that makes them the most money and helps them weather the storm of an overall shrinking camera market. The internets will scream about the lack of IBIS, or 4K crop factor, or a single memory card slot, or a smaller battery, or whatever. But does anyone really doubt the RP is going to sell like hotcakes?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I believe, according to their full presentation, that their "ALL OPTICAL IS" is only a further enhancement of their lens-based IS, and will not be an In-Body Image Stabilization, as you would know as IBIS, (as stabilizing the image sensor), but rather using dedicated sensors in the body to further refine how the lens-based system responds and reacts, giving the system additional information rather than relying solely on what's happening at the end of a lens. And also the specific info supplied by these dedicated sensors can also be used for their "digital-based" image stabilization. And that is why the information appears in their Lens Roadmap, that while this system in included in the RP body, it needs updated lenses to complete the technology.....

Upvote 0

Because the RF lenses are THAT good and you can't use them on DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Based on 99% of the reactions on the internet and social media to current releases people are going to moan, complain, and meme no matter what Canon releases or doesn't release in the future. Well actually the sky will be falling based on the rumors of what is going to be released and then no matter what is actually released it will be evidence that the sky has indeed fallen. ;)

Replace that with any other camera manufacturer. Canon is not the only victim ;-)

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I believe, according to their full presentation, that their "ALL OPTICAL IS" is only a further enhancement of their lens-based IS, and will not be an In-Body Image Stabilization, as you would know as IBIS, (as stabilizing the image sensor), but rather using dedicated sensors in the body to further refine how the lens-based system responds and reacts, giving the system additional information rather than relying solely on what's happening at the end of a lens. And also the specific info supplied by these dedicated sensors can also be used for their "digital-based" image stabilization. And that is why the information appears in their Lens Roadmap, that while this system in included in the RP body, it needs updated lenses to complete the technology.....

The picture of the slide cleary says in body image stabilization, seems the term all optical IS means they are moving out the digital IS and its all done in both lenses and on sensor. Wonder how many stops you gain when combined!

Upvote 0
I expect a very capable camera to come for around 3000-3500$. As CR posted a few weeks ago, Canon is aware that the low entry market shrinks due to better mobile phone cameras. They expect to make money in the professional and high end sector, which I assume they will focus on in the future. For that, the RP makes alot of sense to let people do the step to their professional line with professional glass as easy (cheap) as possible. As also mentioned here, Canon works actively on 8k recording for a future EOS R camera, and I wouldn't be suprised if their new model will be capable of that. The only thing I hope will not come true is that the sensor is above 60MP....

Upvote 0