Canon EOS M200 coming soon

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Someone please create an acronym based upon how Forum members are not typical camera customers.

Exactly, "typical" camera consumers are.. not smart. lol They buy into things like 4K, more MP, fps, smaller/larger size camera body.. I want to see something epic - not good.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
A few weeks ago someone was speculating that maybe Canon is willing to let third parties do the lens development for these cameras--maybe even was licensing them to do so. It seemed plausible at the time but now I'm thinking...why would Canon want to give up that market?
I don't how much control Canon has over the moderate price prime market once third party manufacturers can produce back engineered compatible lens mounts or how much Canon is willing to put into competing for that market. If Sigma wants to sell EF-M primes, Canon might let them do it, figuring that market isn't big enough to fight them for it.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I don't how much control Canon has over the moderate price prime market once third party manufacturers can produce back engineered compatible lens mounts or how much Canon is willing to put into competing for that market. If Sigma wants to sell EF-M primes, Canon might let them do it, figuring that market isn't big enough to fight them for it.

In this particular case...I could imagine Canon actually encouraging them do it under license--"you pay us money, we give you the spec for the M mount--oh, and sign this non-disclosure"

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
In this particular case...I could imagine Canon actually encouraging them do it under license--"you pay us money, we give you the spec for the M mount--oh, and sign this non-disclosure"
Sure, that's possible. On the other hand, Sigma might decide to save some money and do what it has been doing--just go with its backengineered mount, and there are a few shades of grey in between these possibilities.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
Well I'm pleased to see any activity from Canon for the M mount and it seems the focus is largely shifting to the cheaper cameras - I suspect they will replace Ef-S with Ef-m.

I have now had a couple of Ef-m cameras and love them. If you accept what they are - an attempt to deliver high quality in a very small package - then you'll likely be happy. Even lenses others dislike like the 55-200 I have enjoyed because they are so much smaller than the Ef-s equivalents. When I've travelled for work I've been able to have a wide angle and telephoto zooms with me, perhaps just to see sunrise from the hotel roof in situations i would never have taken my full frame gear with me. If you're going to make a crop sensor mirrorless at least make it tiny and that's what Canon did.

The quality of all the M gear is great though I am disappointed much isn't made in Japan at least it isn't off-shored to China or Thailand, Taiwan seems a reasonable compromise.

I feel the need to speak up for it I suppose as I so often see it criticised on here but I think the system as a whole is lovely and I hope we get more and more lenses in the future and in particular I want an M5 II.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Someone please create an acronym based upon how Forum members are not typical camera customers.

I agree likely they aren't, yet there's a possibility that they are. Canon rumours guy once mentioned there's 30k subscribers or so, what makes you think they're definitely not typical?

And even if they aren't, then what? They cannot discuss the rumours and speculate about the cameras they want on the forum dedicated to rumours and speculations?

Upvote 0
Well I'm pleased to see any activity from Canon for the M mount and it seems the focus is largely shifting to the cheaper cameras - I suspect they will replace Ef-S with Ef-m.

Yeah maybe they plan to completely separate the crop and FF lines, in which case the crop R camera some people here were envisaging will never happen.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I agree likely they aren't, yet there's a possibility that they are. Canon rumours guy once mentioned there's 30k subscribers or so, what makes you think they're definitely not typical?

And even if they aren't, then what? They cannot discuss the rumours and speculate about the cameras they want on the forum dedicated to rumours and speculations?
But how many of the forum members post on the Forum?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
man, if canon hired ONE person from the forum.. at random. we'd see some actual developments that are needed. seriously..

Let complainers start a company and do better.

Canon is changing over a brand new mount system, actually has a tilt-shift lens selection, has various RF lenses out and coming, and even stuff others don't have like the semi auto 470eX ai flash. There's a lot going on over at Canon. It would take a stoner to miss it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Canon is changing over a brand new mount system, actually has a tilt-shift lens selection, has various RF lenses out and coming, and even stuff others don't have like the semi auto 470eX ai flash. There's a lot going on over at Canon. It would take a stoner to miss it.
None so blind....

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

I was using that 470EX AI recently, what an amazing little flash, it just works! I wish they had that tech in a 600EX RT that could be used as an on camera master!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
A few weeks ago someone was speculating that maybe Canon is willing to let third parties do the lens development for these cameras--maybe even was licensing them to do so. It seemed plausible at the time but now I'm thinking...why would Canon want to give up that market?
Because they don't see enough money it it to be worth the investment with third parties active in a thin market. Don't know whether Canon has given up on the market, but that would be the rationale for doing so.

Upvote 0