Let’s talk about those Canon EOS RS/R5 specifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
*Update* We’ve added new specifications for the Canon EOS R5, check them out here.
The Canon EOS RS/R5 specifications that we posted yesterday certainly caused a stir on this site with lots of discussions here as well as on social media.
I haven’t read the forums in regard to what we posted, nor have I checked in on Facebook, I didn’t want to overthink things, so I’ve just stuck with talking to some sources and friends about this rumored camera.

The good news?
A known source has let us know that what was, posted yesterday has a lot of truth to it. It’s not 100% accurate, but they did not clarify any specifications, as this particular source never does.
Yes, we have two reports on the resolution of the sensor and a slight discrepancy in the stills frame rate.
Again, the way this information came to us is the reason I posted it, however...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
8k time lapse and some version of 4k60p brings this rumor into a more believable envelope. Not buying any version of 4K120p but I would love to be wrong. I shoot a lot of 120p and if they have a trick up their sleeve that outperforms the current 1080p bring it on. Otherwise it all sounds pretty good to me.

edited.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Why/How would an R body have (much) higher throughput than a 1 series release a month earlier...
I agree this seems odd. The only way I could see that this would be a possibility is maybe doing all of the advanced things they are doing with the 1DX3's separate autofocus sensor is somehow more taxing on the processor than just having all of the image capturing and autofocusing happening right on the sensor as a mirrorless camera does? But then this doesn't really make sense, as I thought it's generally accepted that having that constant feed from the sensor to the EVF is generally more taxing on the processor than having an OVF. Maybe this new camera just uses a completely new/more advanced architecture that makes more efficient use of the processor's power compared to the 1DX which perhaps they kept using a somewhat older architecture just for the sake of reliability?

Not saying any of this is actually the case, and not saying I actually believe that the new mirrorless will arrive with specs that essentially trounce the IDX, but if it did, this is my wild, baseless speculation as to why.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
How do you know what the DIGIC X processor is capable of?

These two products would be for two completely different customers.

CR guy, I think what paints everyone's expectations is that any new FF camera -- if real -- is going to fall into a 1-series / 5-series / 6-series sort of slot in the lineup, with its relative prestige and asking price, etc. And the spec list we've seen (regardless of who it is aimed at in the market) is comically above/beyond what Canon's brand-spanking-new 1DX3* can do.

That -- above all else -- doesn't compute for many of us, myself included.
  • Tell us it's 45 x 10 and it's the next 5D5, it would be plausible.
  • Tell us it's a gripped 1-series mirrorless with IBIS and 24 x 20, it would entirely be plausible.
  • Tell us it's as-the-rumor-specs-it and it will be a new series even more pricey/prestigious than the 1-series (a 0-series?!) and it becomes I guess vaguely more plausible. (Seems like a $10k body to me, though.)
But as spec'd. No. Still not buying this rumor.

- A

*I recognize a 1-series is much more than pure horsepower specs, and we've seen 5-series outdo 1-series on the odd spec or new feature in the past ...but this rumored list is simply ridiculous.

Upvote 0
8k time lapse I buy - that makes the rumour more palatable. Higher throughput than 1DXIII I can get behind also - the M6ii has to be close already. I do struggle to see them put up 14fps in a full frame body not because they can't - more likely that they don't want want to compete with the 1Dx series, unless this moves way up market. I guess we'll know soon!

Upvote 0
CR guy, I think what paints everyone's expectations is that any new FF camera -- if real -- is going to fall into a 1-series / 5-series / 6-series sort of slot in the lineup, with its relative prestige and asking price, etc. And the spec list we've seen (regardless of who it is aimed at in the market) is comically above/beyond what Canon's brand-spanking-new 1DX3* can do.

That -- above all else -- doesn't compute for many of us, myself included.
  • Tell us it's 45 x 10 and it's the next 5D5, it would be plausible.
  • Tell us it's a gripped 1-series mirrorless with IBIS and 24 x 20, it would entirely be plausible.
  • Tell us it's as-the-rumor-specs-it and it will be a new series even more pricey/prestigious than the 1-series (a 0-series?!) and it becomes I guess vaguely more plausible. (Seems like a $10k body to me, though.)
But as spec'd. No. Still not buying this rumor.

- A

*I recognize a 1-series is much more than pure horsepower specs, and we've seen 5-series outdo 1-series on the odd spec or new feature in the past ...but this rumored list is simply ridiculous.
Or maybe they're spiritually resurrecting the 1Ds series. I agree, releasing something like this is going to be expensive - and that's ok!

Upvote 0
I believe a 5D Mark V camera in mirrorless form is a very high priority item for Canon and one will show up well before the Olympics. As much as I want the high pixel count camera if it does at least 5 FPS, a 36-40 MP camera capable of 10 FPS or a bit better should be a much higher priority for Canon. That is the sweet spot for most professional users and most serious amateur users I think.

The M6 ii at 32.5 MP and 14 FPS shows Canon already has the capability even without using Digic X and can do it without excessive heat build up--admittedly with a small sensor--and pretty good battery life even from a smaller battery than the current R.

I expect Canon wants to have that camera and a set of trinity lenses available for a sidearm for every 1DX iii they loan out at the Olympics. I suspect they will have many takers, especially if they can also have a 70 or 100-400 RF available and maybe even a few surprise 200-500or 600 compact RF lenses as an Olympic special treat. Think Sony is not going to have a lot of interest in its 200-600 on an A9 ii at the Olympics?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I believe a 5D Mark V camera in mirrorless form is a very high priority item for Canon and one will show up well before the Olympics. As much as I want the high pixel count camera if it does at least 5 FPS, a 36-40 MP camera capable of 10 FPS or a bit better should be a much higher priority for Canon. That is the sweet spot for most professional users and most serious amateur users I think.

I had scratched my head over the thought of a 5DS or 5DSR replacement with mirrorless coming first. If one did, it would actually still make a good 5D mk iv alternative, because the file size can be set lower.

But for landscape photography with a 5DSR, I don't think IBIS would matter, and a mirrorless replacement will still end up on a tripod and be shot one frame at a time. So I feel like the 5DSR has plenty of shelf life left.

Something above the EOS R and with two cards that's more 5D mk iv-like seems like a better niche to replace first.

Upvote 0