Canon releases financials and lays out advanced EOS R plans

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I also believe the capabilities of the new additions to the EOS R family will be major upgrades. I think the video feature may well trump those of the 1DX Mk3, as that camera is sports/stills focused.
As for 8K raw? Quite possibly YES. This new processor and imaging sensor will be the next generation to carry the Canon premium mirrorless line into the 2020’s. I’m ready to embrace the new king of mirrorless.

Canon, can we also have a large rear display? That’s all that’s missing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
I made a business decision based on the hope of a high megapixel R on the horizon. Now I'm beginning to fear that Canon is turning their still cameras into video production cameras. While I do shoot video I'm not interested in 8k, what I want is a good high resolution still camera. My hopes are this is a bad rumor.

honestly, 45MP is not enough for what you want? I'm sorry to hear that you think its not enough. I'm sure they wil have a 60-80mp camera this year as well, the majority want a 5D replacement, after that the higher mp slower fps one should come. I know they've been working on high mp sensors.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
honestly, 45MP is not enough for what you want? I'm sorry to hear that you think its not enough. I'm sure they wil have a 60-80mp camera this year as well, the majority want a 5D replacement, after that the higher mp slower fps one should come. I know they've been working on high mp sensors.

Yeah...I mean digital medium is out there and accessible now. I can't imagine a scenario that where 45 MP FX is not sufficient, and digital medium is not suitable. I get that people invest in systems but 45 MP is near the top of all FX resolutions (and 50 is still out there in Canon), and for something so specialized that it isn't enough, the medium gear is out there.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
That's why the EOS R had full frame 6K instead of the cropped 4K the 5DIV already offered I guess? I mean after all it's a newer processor in the R, right? :rolleyes:

And?

I didn't said the same sensor will magically double it's readout rate with a new processor.
What i said is that if you have a system which can already do 20fps at 33MP, its no
reason not offering 8K 30p in a future generation.

Fast readout is a combination of the sensor and processor. You need to upgrade both.
The R obviously has a very similar sensor with the 5D.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The R5 rumor is called 'true' by Canon - great news! I do wish they mentioned anything about their 80-ish MP body as I'd be interested in it vs the R5. But I currently have a 20MP camera so that I'll be extremely happy with 45MP. I'll buy it (or the future 80-ish MP one) for sure now and my first lens will probably be the RF 70-200 f2.8.

Regarding price, while they will be better than the A7R4 in very many ways, Sony will hype their 62 MP sensor since the R6 has 45MP. Sony also has a gazillion lenses vs less for Canon. I think that Canon wants to really take over market share quickly to get their class-leading (& expensive) lenses sold and will be willing to have a much lower price than they'd normally choose. So I think they will sell it for $3500 to go head-to-head with the A7R4. Going higher risks people not getting it because they want more pixels and more lens choices, going lower risks Sony dropping their price a little and causing pressure for all to lower prices in a price war. Going right at $3500 will make a lot of sales and Sony will probably leave their $3500 price alone which is good for both companies.

If they shocked everyone at $3000 they'd really take a fast chunk of market share to get their lenses selling briskly.

Conversely, they might view the R5 competing with the A92 (at $4500) and thus come out with a price maybe as low as $4000 to undercut it quickly. That would leave room for the future 80 ish MP version with less 'speed' to undercut the A7R4 at maybe as low as $3000.

I guess we'll find out how badly they want to take market share away from Sony (who will give them quite a fight).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
The sales drop, and the prediction for another big drop is scary. This looks to be the future. At what point will it no longer be profitable to design and sell camera equipment? That day could arrive. Canon, and others are dropping cheaper cameras for the more profitable expensive models. I know canon just came out with a cheaper R body, but it’s still a lot more expensive than their cheapest DSLR.

Nikon has already put the new D780 on an effective sale by giving an additional $300 off until the end of March When you bring in any working body, from any manufacturer. It could be 40 years old. That’s additional to other sales pricing.

this industry is far from healthy.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
What happened to the high mexga pixel EOS R? After all that rumor circulations, it's now just, gone?
I made a business decision based on the hope of a high megapixel R on the horizon. Now I'm beginning to fear that Canon is turning their still cameras into video production cameras. While I do shoot video I'm not interested in 8k, what I want is a good high resolution still camera. My hopes are this is a bad rumor.
"Horizon" can be a quarter of a mile or 100 miles depending on where you are standing. The 75-80MP camera will come, but it needs a few more really top notch R lenses. There are not many EF lenses that will support that kind of resolution (Having both a 5DSR and a 90D, I can assure you of that). Besides, 45MP IS high resolution compared to anything but a 5DSR or an A7RIV.

Upvote 0

This new camera being 45MP kinda worries me. I bought a new MacBook Pro last year and it's plenty fast. But this new camera will have much larger files. Computer processing power is another by-product of this new camera. And for those wanting more than 45MP, I'd like to see what they're photographing. They must be printing billboards at 300dpi. Yikes.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
This new camera being 45MP kinda worries me. I bought a new MacBook Pro last year and it's plenty fast. But this new camera will have much larger files. Computer processing power is another by-product of this new camera.

I have a 2013 iMac that handles 42MP Sony A7RIII files perfectly well so think we are WAY off the limits of any computer certainly release in the last five years.

And for those wanting more than 45MP, I'd like to see what they're photographing. They must be printing billboards at 300dpi. Yikes.

Not directed at you in particular but a general observation, why does everyone who doesn't have a requirement for more resolutiion question the intentions of everyone who does like we're stupid? I don't question someone wanting 8K when 75% of all content is watched in HD on a tiny phone or tablet screen. Or the spec trend that a camera must have above 10 FPS before its usuable when people have managed for years with 5 FPS?

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The sales drop, and the prediction for another big drop is scary. This looks to be the future. At what point will it no longer be profitable to design and sell camera equipment? That day could arrive. Canon, and others are dropping cheaper cameras for the more profitable expensive models. I know canon just came out with a cheaper R body, but it’s still a lot more expensive than their cheapest DSLR.

Nikon has already put the new D780 on an effective sale by giving an additional $300 off until the end of March When you bring in any working body, from any manufacturer. It could be 40 years old. That’s additional to other sales pricing.

this industry is far from healthy.

The sky isn't falling. Instead, the the market is returning to historical levels. The major difference is that instead of Instamatics, people are using their cell phones. Camera sales are down from the past decade when the rapid adoption of digital sent the market through the roof, but I strongly suspect Canon and Nikon with about a century of experience in the market fully understood that the boom was temporary.

Like bank robbers, they are now going where the money is, which is upper income, generally older, users. They are also aiming at new markets in Asia with rising disposable income. It's true they haven't unlocked the secret to younger consumers and that will become a problem over time as people like me are only one or two camera generations away from exiting the market.

Canon's emphasis on video may be one path to younger buyers. While iPhones can substitute for point and shoot cameras, they really don't do video as well as Apple would like you to believe. For folks like me, who aren't big users of the video features, these new R models may not be as appealing as they are to others, but the video-centric features are apparently essential to expanding the market.

So, I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom. Things are changing and Canon and Nikon are working to adapt to those changes.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...why does everyone who doesn't have a requirement for more resolutiion question the intentions of everyone who does like we're stupid? I don't question someone wanting 8K when 75% of all content is watched in HD on a tiny phone or tablet screen. Or the spec trend that a camera must have above 10 FPS before its usuable when people have managed for years with 5 FPS?

Good point. There was a discussion a while back with another contributor who wanted high resolution. People ripped into him/her but he had a specific project and vision in mind that required more resolution. Your comment is a good reminder that we need to step outside our own box and not assume that people who want something different from what we want are stupid.

I don't want any of the video features that people are salivating over, but that doesn't mean they can't have them.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
With this new processing power I wonder if they will drop the 30 minute limit on videos?

The 30 minute limitation has never been a technical limitation. It's to do with avoiding taxes on products in certain regions that are considered "video" cameras. It seems that at 30 mins, any camera automagically becomes a video camera.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
The 30 minute limitation has never been a technical limitation. It's to do with avoiding taxes on products in certain regions that are considered "video" cameras. It seems that at 30 mins, any camera automagically becomes a video camera.

True story. In the EU, any device that shoots video over 30 mins is considered a video camera, and subject to a roughly between 5-14% additional tax. This doesn't explain why cameras sold outside the EU can't receive a firmware update to eliminate this limitation.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I am still amazed that they really plan to introduce 8k video! First, I couldn't believe it but it looks seriously that they will do it. Given the small bodys of such cameras their engineers must have found a smart way to cool the sensors extremely effectively. Or the camera allows only for short video takes in the 8k mode - but that's not Canon like. Respect, they really try to regain leadership, but this time against the Goliath Sony, not against Nikon like so many decades in the past.

Upvote 0