Is a 150mp Canon EOS R camera on the way? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It is being reported that a possible high-megapixel EOS R body from Canon may come with a 150mp sensor.
I don’t think the idea of a 150mp sensor in a consumer product from Canon is too far-fetched. While I think it’s more likely we’ll see something around 100mp, I would welcome any crazy amount of megapixels.
The Canon EOS R6 will be 20mp, the Canon EOS R5 will be 45mp, an Canon EOS R3 at 150mp? Sure, why not?
Maybe it’ll shoot 16k? (joking)
This is a third-party rumor, I haven’t heard anything about this from my sources. So please take it with a grain of salt.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
If true, this would be ~15,024 x 10,016 pixels, it could make a 50 inch print (horizontal) at 300 ppi and 100 inch print at 150 ppi. That is 8.3 ft....

Ok...so we know Canon likes to target markets.

This is for the near sighted rich people who want to print wall sized photos of their puppy dog market???

I know this is just prompting all the "art gallery sized print" comments, but, if Canon does this, I see it as more of a statement camera. In terms of practicality, that is very small.

BTW...where does diffraction kick in on this bad boy? f/1.4???

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
If true, this would be ~15,024 x 10,016 pixels, it could make a 50 inch print (horizontal) at 300 ppi and 100 inch print at 150 ppi. That is 8.3 ft....

This is for the near sighted rich people who want to print wall sized photos of their puppy dog market???

I know this is just prompting all the "art gallery sized print" comments, but, if Canon does this, I see it as more of a statement camera. In terms of practicality, that is very small.

Using existing cameras/pixel-densities data from TDP I would guess around f/3.5 so a f/4 big white lens would be just fine. But this would exclude the use of teleconverters (at least the 2X ones) and f/7.1 zoom lenses.

I would say a 80-82mp camera would be more practical. It would have the 90D's DLA (f/5.2)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

A 75MP DPAF Canon sensor is a 150MP sensor in fact. Well, in DPRAW mode at least if each half frame is 75MP large then combined image is 150MP.
On an another note, 150MP is a seriously medium format territory. I do not discount a possibility of a Canon entering MF market.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Using existing cameras/pixel-densities data from TDP I would guess around f/3.5 so a f/4 big white lens would be just fine. But this would exclude the use of teleconverters (at least the 2X ones) and f/7.1 zoom lenses.

I would say a 80-82mp camera would be more practical. It would have the 90D's DLA (f/5.2)
I am expecting a scaled up 90D/M6 II sensor, which would be 82-83 MP as well.

A 75MP DPAF Canon sensor is a 150MP sensor in fact. Well, in DPRAW mode at least if each half frame is 75MP large then combined image is 150MP.
On an another note, 150MP is a seriously medium format territory. I do not discount a possibility of a Canon entering MF market.
You may be right on the math and this is someone who saw a 150 MP file (or 160 MP and approximated) and really it was just an image using both subpixels from a 75-83 MP "high resolution" camera we've heard rumors about.

That actually seems likely to me. But, if Canon is going medium format....great.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Are full frame lenses really resolving much of anything at that pixel density?

That the resolving capability of optics limits any useful increase in sensor resolution is a myth. More pixels means more resolution even if the optics aren't all that good. Check opticallimits.com for comparisons of lenses tested at both 21MP and 51MP. Even weak corner resolution is improved at 51MP. Roger Cicala also mentions this briefly in his blog.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
I could consider a megapixel monster to go with a set of tilt shift lenses. But the suggested 45MP of the R5 already feels excessive. I did try out a 100MP body before but it was the larger sensor that made the image and not the pixel count.
Maybe this rumored sensor is larger than the standard 35mm FF size. Or, it could be a Foveon type of sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0