Two new EOS M camera bodies coming in the second half of 2020 [CR2]

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I got the RP and RF 35mm thinking I could carry it around daily, but it's too big.
So I added a used M6 and EF-M 22mm. Much smaller.
I thought about selling the RP, but I can't bring myself to do it !
Yup. The quality to quantity ratio of the 22 is unmatched. I still have the original M, and it with the 22 is so easy to carry and produces amazingly good photos, even with that tired old 18MP sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Exciting times! I have the M5 and while I know it's far from the best APS-C MILC, I'm really liking it. I'm not blind to its flaws and weaknesses and it has been a source of frustration...but I just enjoy using it.

I have half a mind to sell my 6DII for the M6II but I know deep down that FF is where it's at as far as IQ goes...but these M cameras are really fun to use.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I own the Canon M5 with a bunch of lenses, including Canon's 22mm f/2, 15-45mm, 18-150mm and the Samyang 12mm f/2.
From a 'throw in my bag and take along' perspective, I love the size and compactness, particularly the 22mm as a prime or the 15-45mm as a zoom.
The ergonomics work pretty well considering what it is, and particularly that I do not use my M5 with any large lenses.

My main cameras for over 15 years have been DSLRs. Currently the 80D is a very versatile all round APS-C model. I have many EF and EF-S lenses... but all of them (on any DSLR body) are significantly larger than the M5 with equivalent lenses.

I used to own the M10 - which was really nice and compact without the viewfinder / hump. However from a usability perspective, a camera with just a rear screen is almost as frustrating for me as using a smart phone - both in terms of ergonomics (holding out from body) as well as . Hence I gave that (and a spare 22mm f/2 I bought 2nd hand) to my nieces.

The fact that I have a good astrocombination with the Samyang 12mm f/2 AND the portability are the main reasons I see me staying with the Canon M series into the future. I like portability, but along with an EVF.
So a M5mkII would be particularly attractive to me. It fits the gap between a FF mirrorless (or DSLR) and my smart phone. Image quality of the M series is great, while still being compact and portable. The M6mkII indicated how serious Canon remain with their M series, it has some great features - and I hope the M5mkII includes all of the goodies from the M6mkii, as well as a few more (e.g. IBIS) .

I expect I will buy the R5 camera if the 'as-yet-unknown' feature and functionality (AF, IQ) are like I expect they will be. So I'll probably maintain a 3 tier system:
1) FF mirrorless (for the majority of my photography and videography) - with great IQ and 'all day ergonomics'
2) APS-C mirrorless (for when I am going out and require a more portable package, to still have very good image quality)
3) smart phone (for when I am just taking unplanned 'quick photos and videos on the go' (as my smart phone is always with me) .

It'll be interesting to see what Canon is going to provide in the next little while, in terms of my tiers 1) and 2) above. No concrete details have yet been revealed about a possible M5 replacement. I would love an M5mkII with faster AF (particularly in low light), a higher resolution (and faster updating) EVF and IBIS being the top items on my wish-list.

Upvote 0
Would be nice to have an integrated EVF and better weather sealing, but otherwise will just keep my M5 and M6ii. Make great travel cameras an companion cameras for my larger Canon gear.
Rich you don't happen to live in Florida and by chance did a trip to Iceland in 2013 with Greg Downing by any chance. If so this is Whayne from Australia. If not sorry for bothering you.

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
I dont realy understand why the M series is still necessary with the R. The RP is allready super small and could get cheaper in the near future. Why not replace any M camera with a RP?

Or they could build a RF camera with an APS-C Sensor... Shouldnt it be super easy to build small APS-C lenses for the R mount? So this could easily replace the M. Whats the necessary of this series?

I think CANON is more thinking of the end of the compact cameras market, completley replaced by smartphone users. And also the fact that APSC DSLR ar less and less wanted by the market.
A minority of still photography lovers that understand smartphone are useless to take real pictures, will go to mirrorless (plus the ones that find external lenses on old school bodies "fashion"). CANON has to offer a cheap lineup to give an answer for low incomes customers
The APSC mirrorless offer in CANON lineup cannot be just RF mount because it is more expensive to manufacture because of the bigger diameter. You cannot make light bodies. Such a big diameter is useless for an APSC sensor
Regarding all these point, I think they are extending the M lineup to cover all the EF-S actual range.
It should be as cheap as actual APSC DSLR lineup, with the higher price at the level of the cheaper RF body, as the higher APSC DSLR (7D) as at the price level of cheappest FF (6D).
Also concerning the "old fashion bodies", CANON usually don't do it on the expert/pro bodies for which they are 100% on efficiency and quality and 0% on marketing fashion, but they will certainly do it with M bodies if necessary to sell more.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2019
An M5-II with the pop-up EVF from the latest patent please... And throw in IBIS too if it's not too much bother.

I think the "pop-up EVF from the latest patent" requires that the rear screen is a tilting type rather than a fully articulating one. (The eye-sensor, which detects when a face approaches the viewfinder is in the same assembly as the display, so you wouldn't want it to be possible to turn this inwards if an eye-sensor is mounted on it, as it would mean the EVF would be on permanently, using power, even when no one is looking at it.)

An "ordinary" pop-up viewfinder, with the eye-sensor in the pop-up assembly itself, would enable either type of rear display to be used.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
It’s great to see so much love for the EOS M Series on this forum.

I do like my M5 for more casual shooting although I find it frustrating sometimes autofocus wise when reverting from my EOS R. I’m sure this would be addressed if Canon produce an M5 II.

If Canon had put the Vari Angle Screen on the M6 II I might have been tempted to go for one of those with the add-on viewfinder. I do like the idea of an add-on VF as it keeps the camera very compact in situations when a VF isn’t required.

Residual values excluding the M5 sadly, but all other current M Bodies is very strong noting second-hand sales on eBay, particularly the M50 proving there is a good demand for this style of camera.

I would be very particularly interested in upgrading my M5 and eagerly await news on the up and coming M bodies. As it doesn’t look like a 7D III will ever be produced at least not soon so something in the M Series to plug that gap of a 7D III would be nice so long as the body is kept compact.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think the "pop-up EVF from the latest patent" requires that the rear screen is a tilting type rather than a fully articulating one. (The eye-sensor, which detects when a face approaches the viewfinder is in the same assembly as the display, so you wouldn't want it to be possible to turn this inwards if an eye-sensor is mounted on it, as it would mean the EVF would be on permanently, using power, even when no one is looking at it.)

So on a camera like the M50, if the screen is turned inwards and you put the camera up to your eye...by your logic the screen should come on, even though you can't possibly see the screen. Not full time like you're suggesting would happen with the popup EVF.

Since I doubt they'd do something quite this absurd, I suspect they've solved this problem and on the M50 to boot. Maybe by detecting the screen orientation and simply shutting it off whenever it's facing into the camera. (We already know they can flip the image on the display upside down if the screen is upside down in "vlogger/selfie" mode; so clearly they can sense the screen orientation.)

Upvote 0
I do like my M5 for more casual shooting although I find it frustrating sometimes autofocus wise when reverting from my EOS R. I’m sure this would be addressed if Canon produce an M5 II.

Both EOS M50 and even more so EOS M6 II have way better AF implementation than M5. Any replacement of M5 should be at least as good as M6 II, but probably even better, especially if it turns out to be an *EOS M7* rather than just a M5 II [which sources said Canon would not make].

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let Canon release a decent full-time zoom for such a camera, for example 15 (17) -70 / 2.8-4 and then there will be something to talk about with it:)

there was/is a canonwatch rumor for an EF-M 18-45mm f/2-4 IS STM :)

Personally I'd prefer a "somewhat higher end" constant aperture EF-M 15-60mm f/4.0 IS STM. I don't fall any longer for large apertures at wide end that only apply to the first 2 or 3 mm of the focal length range. I'd much rather have some decent IQ, very compact and highly affordable constant f/4 zoom in EF-M lineup.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mcfrlnd

EOS R5 & 5D MK IV
Sep 13, 2019
I'm not on the market for an APS-C camera, but I've played with Canon's M lineup. What would be nice IMO would be a robust body that better fits in the hand based off of the M5. All of the M bodies are just a bit too small...like handling a bar of Lava soap. IBIS and latest AF would be imperative and a permanently attached EVF. Finally, lenses that don't feel cheap, and with metal mounts. Nothing queues up buyers remorse more than handling a lens that you think will crumble in your hands. Leave the smaller bodies to the G(#)X lineup...

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
Nikon's Z series has an even larger diameter mount, and that hasn't stopped them producing a very well received mirrorless camera with an APS-C sensor, the Z-50.

Yes but it is useless. As CANON has allready a mount, the M, and if they want to keep the price low, they should continue into the M for APSC ML.

Upvote 0
Yes but it is useless. As CANON has allready a mount, the M, and if they want to keep the price low, they should continue into the M for APSC ML.

I am also convinced that Canon's dual mount strategy is a lot smarter than the compromises Sony (E mount limiting for FF) and Nikon (Z-mount too large for really compact APS-C bodies and lenses) took.

crop sensor/APS-C gear has only 2 reasons to exist:
1. significantly smaller/lighter/less bulky than FF (cameras and lenses)
2. significantly less expensive than FF (cameras and lenses)

Only Canon EOS M fully delivers on both points. Fuji is not small enough and too expensive, especially lenses. Sony is not affordable and good enough, especially lenses.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0