Two new EOS M camera bodies coming in the second half of 2020 [CR2]

I dont realy understand why the M series is still necessary with the R. The RP is allready super small and could get cheaper in the near future. Why not replace any M camera with a RP?

Or they could build a RF camera with an APS-C Sensor... Shouldnt it be super easy to build small APS-C lenses for the R mount? So this could easily replace the M. Whats the necessary of this series?
Have you seen the price of the lenses ??? It will get cheaper in 10 years when something else comes along. EF lenses havent dropped that much..... RP have been getting mad discounts like 30% off flash sales but even then, they are body only sales. So on its own (body) it can be cheaper than a M6ii but chuck on a lens and no its in a different price league. Still an amazing system but m needs to remain to compete with Sony aps-c and m43.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Most kits come with the EVF included with 15-45 and bonus 22mm with the M6ii. Well in Australia at least. I used Sony Nex for many years and the M6ii was perfect considering I was keen on the X100f. I use a small rig mainly but the m6ii is crazy small on its own.

The US kits were a lens and an EVF. If you already had those lenses, and wanted an EVF, with some sort of discount, you were SOL.

Upvote 0
The US kits were a lens and an EVF. If you already had those lenses, and wanted an EVF, with some sort of discount, you were SOL.

It would be beneficial if the kits were atleast consistent accross different countries. Maybe due to our smaller market it was used to compete compared to US where they always will sell more with 10 times the population.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It would be beneficial if the kits were atleast consistent accross different countries. Maybe due to our smaller market it was used to compete compared to US where they always will sell more with 10 times the population.

I hear tell that when they held a conference with their retailers, some said, "Why no kit with just the EVF? Why?" And Canon basically didn't answer the question.

Upvote 0
I hear tell that when they held a conference with their retailers, some said, "Why no kit with just the EVF? Why?" And Canon basically didn't answer the question.

Because Canon would not be able to selll the sub-par EF-M 15-45 other than forcing it upon customers in kits. it is a shame they discontinued the previous 18-55 kit lens, which had much better IQ and build quality with the sorry 15-45. more wide-angle would have been ok, but the 15-45 is solely the result of a shameless cost-cutting exercise. It is the sore thumb in the otherwise good to excellent EF-M lens lineup.

whats really missing is a better IQ standard zoom e.g. a reasonably sized and affordably priced constant aperture EF-M 15-60mm/4.0 IS STM at €/$ 499, available as a separate SKU and as kit option - rather than forced kits with 15-45.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Because Canon would not be able to selll the sub-par EF-M 15-45 other than forcing it upon customers in kits. it is a shame they discontinued the previous 18-55 kit lens, which had much better IQ and build quality with the sorry 15-45. more wide-angle would have been ok, but the 15-45 is solely the result of a shameless cost-cutting exercise. It is the sore thumb in the otherwise good to excellent EF-M lens lineup.

On the other hand, my copy of the 15-45 came with a more-than-free M100 :) The kit was €10 cheaper than buying the lens separately.
For the M6II the kits weren't a good deal, I could buy the camera from an authorized local dealer and then the lens and evf using grey import and save money. Since I already had the 15-45 and didn't really need the EVF I went for the just the body. A body + evf kit would've been very tempting, though.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

whats really missing is a better IQ standard zoom e.g. a reasonably sized and affordably priced constant aperture EF-M 15-60mm/4.0 IS STM at €/$ 499, available as a separate SKU and as kit option - rather than forced kits with 15-45.

My M50 came with that lens, and I don't think I used it much after I got my hands on an adapter. I never really evaluated it; I just had other lenses that would do more and dropped it (figuratively speaking).

They did have a second option for the M6-II, a longer zoom (they've had several different ones of this too, and I don't remember which particular one it was). I didn't have that lens yet, but since I've been happy with my Tamron 18-200 for the M mount, I had no interest in a lens with less range!

I did save a little bit of money by buying the 15-45 kit, and selling the lens immediately.

On the other hand, my copy of the 15-45 came with a more-than-free M100 :) The kit was €10 cheaper than buying the lens separately.
For the M6II the kits weren't a good deal, I could buy the camera from an authorized local dealer and then the lens and evf using grey import and save money. Since I already had the 15-45 and didn't really need the EVF I went for the just the body. A body + evf kit would've been very tempting, though.

The lack of a viewfinder was a major shortcoming of the M6-II for me at least, but for me it was fixable as I have no issues with using an EVF (the hotshoe issue doesn't matter to me). The EVF in fact has a couple of advantages; the camera will pack smaller if you remove it (at the risk of losing the EVF, to be sure), and it seems to hold the camera further from the face.

Upvote 0