Canon will announce a new entry level A3+ printer on July 9 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Both the Pixma Pro-10 and Pro-100 are quite long in the tooth, and it looks like Canon is readying a new A3+ (13×19) printer.
Details are scarce beyond it having a new design language and LCD screen, but expect the new printer to be announced alongside the Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6, and new lenses on July 9, 2020.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
I had one of these larger format printers a few years ago. THey printed great photos. Just got to the point where I couldn't afford the ink. I mainly just print for myself, so its cheaper to get them done some place.

-Brian
Thomas Heaton made a video on that subject.

Quite on point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I have the PRO-100. It certainly is debatable as to whether it makes sense to do your own printing. I have to say the quality is excellent (if you've got your set up correct). There is alot of waste and ink cartridges are too small in the PRO-100.
It will be interesting if these are the same size cartridges.
I'd love to see a rethink between Canon and Adobe about how to control a printer to make the whole thing simpler. It's overly complicated

Upvote 0
I have the PRO-100. It certainly is debatable as to whether it makes sense to do your own printing. I have to say the quality is excellent (if you've got your set up correct). There is alot of waste and ink cartridges are too small in the PRO-100.
I'd love to see a rethink between Canon and Adobe about how to control a printer to make the whole thing simpler. It's overly complicated
I also have the PRO-100, and love both the color and B&W prints it makes on Canon paper, and on art rag paper. I buy ink in bulk and refill the cartridges myself. It's messy (it takes a couple of days for the ink to fade from my fingers!), but very affordable. The quality of the ink is every bit as good as Canon's original.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I also have the PRO-100, and love both the color and B&W prints it makes on Canon paper, and on art rag paper. I buy ink in bulk and refill the cartridges myself. It's messy (it takes a couple of days for the ink to fade from my fingers!), but very affordable. The quality of the ink is every bit as good as Canon's original.
Yes - I always buy original ink. I see no reason why the refill ink wouldn't be as good. The original ink is very expensive and must have a large profit margin.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What’s complicated about checking an option make printer manage color/Photoshop manages color?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If the ‘update’ is anything like the large format printers it is worth getting the older ones on clearance, the ink set and the print heads were the same just a slightly bigger LCD screen and menu changes that I doubt many people ever use, I hardly ever do I do all my printing from the device, I only use the menus for maintenance issues.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
I have the PRO-100 as well, couldn't beat the price, it came free with the 6D / 24-105 combo and they threw in 2 boxes of 50 sheets of pro paper 13" x 19". I still have not finished the first box of paper 6 years later, I use it once in a while when I need really custom sizes for framing and/or prints are needed here and now. Excellent quality once it has finished cleaning heads and calibrating itself (thus using 30% of the available ink) :)

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I have the PRO-100 as well, couldn't beat the price, it came free with the 6D / 24-105 combo and they threw in 2 boxes of 50 sheets of pro paper 13" x 19". I still have not finished the first box of paper 6 years later, I use it once in a while when I need really custom sizes for framing and/or prints are needed here and now. Excellent quality once it has finished cleaning heads and calibrating itself (thus using 30% of the available ink) :)
I'm sure its all necessary but you need alot of patience with the head cleaning and calibrating. Once a tank goes , it goes back into that cycle.

Upvote 0
I had one of these larger format printers a few years ago. THey printed great photos. Just got to the point where I couldn't afford the ink. I mainly just print for myself, so its cheaper to get them done some place.

-Brian
Agreed. If your not doing regular sales of prints with your printer it’s not cost effective. I use a service and markup the price to my clients, all profit no loss and more printing options

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Instead of using my own printer with the ink issues and limited standard print sizes, I organize my smaller prints into a 12" x 12" Costco lay-flat photobook and get a total of 70-ish to 102 square feet of beautiful prints all organized into one affordable & beautiful hardcover book, where I often have a single 24" x 12" print when you turn the page.

For larger prints I use Whitewall (in Germany) Lambda Fuji Crystal DP2 prints and it is absolutely beautiful every time (it is an actual photographic print, not an ink jet print). And I can set the width and height independently to be anything in 0.1" increments up to a max size of 94.5" x 48". And any medium to large size print averages between 5 and 5.5 cents per square inch. My last order had 11 large prints of various shapes & sizes (the largest was 70"x40") and they were all supplied with their own cut-to-fit removable clear protective sheet and then wrapped around a single large hollow shipping tube & protective box and quickly airmailed to me for just $8 shipping. I unwrapped them in pristine shape. You can also pay more to get higher resolution or other options.

The nicest thing is that every single print can be custom ordered to any width and height (and thus any aspect ratio) which means all your prints can be unique to the aspect ratio and size you prefer. I was thinking of covering 1 wall with 4 big prints custom fit to the wall dimensions and avoiding a thermostat in the middle - I'll include a picture of what that would have looked like as an example of what you can do when each print width & height can be independently adjusted in 0.1" increments:sofaWall_email.jpg

So for those of you that print yourselves, I'm glad you enjoy it. I used to do it, but got really frustrated at dealing with the various ink issues & cost and limited standard sizes. Now I'm amazed at what I can put on my wall or in my bookcase, and never worry about ink issues again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0