Here are the Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip, Canon WFT-R10 Wifi Grip & LP-E6NH Battery

Dec 13, 2010
"battery is said to have a big bump in capacity"
Q: What new technology developements would allow for a "big bump"? After all, form factor is identical. Iam sceptical about this ...
But even if there is a decent "bump", the capacity is needed for the biggersensor, IBIS, high computing power. It remains to be seen if cipa rating increases at all.

the 1dx3 more than DOUBLED it’s capacity in the same way, I think the new processor is extremely effective.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
"battery is said to have a big bump in capacity"
Q: What new technology developements would allow for a "big bump"? After all, form factor is identical. Iam sceptical about this ...
But even if there is a decent "bump", the capacity is needed for the biggersensor, IBIS, high computing power. It remains to be seen if cipa rating increases at all.
Well it’s well known that the 1DXMK3 gets much better battery life than the 1DXMK2 so I would not be too skeptical.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Battery technology is unfortunately not known for improving in leaps and bounds. Otherwise electric cars would be much more commonplace by now…
With the battery technology of 2010 an earpod (or equal) wasn't possible.
By developing special micro Lithium-ion battery cells they can last as long as they do now.
R&D didn't manage yet to multiply those to built bigger cells, e.g. for cars.

Upvote 0
Excuse my stupidity, but whats the advantage of a wifi grip? does the R5/6 not have built in wifi.
It's one of my favorite features of the R (coming from a 5DIII) is auto transfer as shooting to my phone

Cheers
Probably a sacrifice for other much desired specs. I don't mind it as I pretty much shoot tethered everytime but if it bumps transfer speed and it's 5Ghz wifi I'm totally in (BYEEE tethertools).

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2020
At least its a bigger battery than the RP's lp-e17. But with all these new features on these mirrorless cameras I am not sure how the battery life would be. The 6D with the old LP-E6 battery can shoot a whole day of events without changing battery for me and some other 6D shooters I know. I worry this new LP-E6H on a R6 would make it 3/4 of the day. But still its already an improvement compared to the LP-E17.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
AFAI can recall the capacity of the old LP-E6/LP-E6N hasn't changed thoughout the last ... how many years?
Google tells me here
LP-E6: 1.800 mAh, released 20??
LP-E6N: 1.865 mAh, released 2014

So this means we're talking about surely 10 years + X old battery technology.
With all the smart phones, earpods as well as e-mobility, could there be a little bit of new R&D tech developed thoughout that time...? :unsure:

Was curious so I looked up my 20D's BP-511A battery; Roughly the same form factor and only a capacity of 1390mAh. Capacities have been slowly but steadily rising over the last ~15 years despite similar sizes. Seems like they could engineer in another 20% bump.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I would have thought Canon would have given a bit of a bigger boost in battery capacity since you can already get third-party LP-E6 compatible batteries that offer up to 2800mAh.

Yes, I know safety, overheating, etc... But still....
We dont want another Note 7 debacle.
Excuse my stupidity, but whats the advantage of a wifi grip? does the R5/6 not have built in wifi.
It's one of my favorite features of the R (coming from a 5DIII) is auto transfer as shooting to my phone

Cheers
Better antenna designs and wireless band support(5ghz and maybe 2x2 wifi) and in this case wired ethernet.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
If the WiFi grip allows tethering to Capture One etc over ethernet that a huge feature for me!

No more overly expensive tethertools cables and goodbuy to cable length restrictions without the need for troublesome active repeaters, not to mention I can make my own custom cables super easily with my own choice of cable and connector. Additionally, the fact the ethernet is on the grip waves goodbye to the mess of cables sticking out the side and issues with having a camera out of action is a port gets dammaged.

Can this camera get any better?????? :love: :love:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
For those of you who do WiFi adaptor does this just upload to Canon’s Cloud service? Or does this need access to you cell as a hotspot? Do you need a separate internet account? I’m curious how this might be used in a workflow.
Well WiFi is the wireless networking for computers with a range of about 100 yards. So it is not independently off to the internet like a phone's cellular service. So yes, the WiFi module needs to connect to some kind of hotspot.
As to what it connects to, that remains to be seen. It almost certainly connects to one or the other at a time: (1) Canon's cloud service or (2) your phone/laptop/tablet/home wifi for the app of your choice. As for anywhere else, you know how at a coffee shop or such they usually have 'connect to our home page and accept terms of service' before you can use their WiFi? It would be impressive if these cameras had an interface to do that but hey, they just might.

Upvote 0

Chavim

5D2, RP
Feb 11, 2019
dphacks.com
For those of you asking in the WiFi will work with Lightroom/C1. The camera is the brain and the grip is only providing the communication.

Starting with the RP, every single camera released by canon has included the Camera Control API (fully wireless). It's up to the software developers to include WiFi camera control in their software. Canon has made the CCAPI open to anyone that wants to implement it, but Adobe and C1 haven't yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I had a gut feeling Canon would get this right, they don't have a choice, Sony has been kicking their ass for a while. I had bought a Sony A9 and a sigma adapter, just for use indoors in high LED studio scenarios, silent shutter that does not band. I never sold off any Canon gear, just added the A9. I have slowly sold all my Sony, banking on Canon getting this right. A battery grip with built in WFT is &^%$ AMAZING! Lets hope it isn't 1000 dollars! I am top of the list for an R5 at my local shop, want to see the R6 banding before I commit to take one, and if the WFT grip is affordable, that grip will be a great purchase!

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Photojournalists just want quick constant connection to our phone, crop, add a basic caption and upload. The current wifi on the 5d is so slow and awkward, it is often faster to pull the SD card and use the Apple card reader to import. The preview thumbnails using this workflow are smaller vs the Canon app, but it is quicker. But this grip may be a game changer.

Upvote 0