There will not be an EOS 5D Mark V [CR2]

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
Sorry for the short cut on the physics. Was more replying to the comment "I looked at a monitor a lot, now I have bad eyesight" statement. This is the misnomer. Extensive monitor usage can cause eye strain which can exacerbate existing eye conditions. But it does not cause you to need glasses or need thicker glasses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
That's all very logical. I was guilty of just repeating something I often see online to the point where I assumed it would be true. Of course the whole thing with the complexity of manufacturing, regulation and economies of scale often makes it impossible for the average man to work out the "true cost" of things.
As I said, I didn't mean to single you out. This is one of those internet myths that forum "experts" postulate and then it gets repeated.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon should continue to focus on R series. Nikon just introduced Z5 that has 24mp, dual card slots and IBIS for $1,399 body only.

Canon needs to update the R as the R6 is still quite expensive for many and the existing R is missing some of these key features.
That Z5 is going to make a lot of Nikonians very happy. If Canon had come out with those specs as opposed to the R, it wouldn't of had such a Beta start into MLC. Good job.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sorry for the short cut on the physics. Was more replying to the comment "I looked at a monitor a lot, now I have bad eyesight" statement. This is the misnomer. Extensive monitor usage can cause eye strain which can exacerbate existing eye conditions. But it does not cause you to need glasses or need thicker glasses.
Can also cause early cataracts.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Not even close.

EF lenses are easily adaptable to RF bodies with no loss of functionality.

FD lenses were non-compatible with EOS bodies, even with an adapter with optics that was essentially also a TC, in so many ways.

I don't get this comment. First, this was more how Canon introduced the EF mount, less about the technical details. Second, you can adapt FD lenses in general.

• Haha
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
But the vast majority of those 5D Mark V sales would instead eventually be R5 sales if the 5D Mark V is not made. So Canon would have to sell enough 5D Mark V bodies over and above the number of R5 bodies they do not sell because the 5D Mark V body is available in order to recover the additional investment of bringing the 5D Mark V to market.

In fairness, some of those 5D V sales would be to people also buying the R5. I don't know if that would be me, but only because I'm waiting to see Canon's rumored 83mp monster. I've said before that if Canon released a new, higher resolution sensor in DSLR and mirrorless formats I would likely end up with one of each.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
why is it then that movies are never shown at such high frame rates but usually well below 60 Hz, if there's so much difference even after passing 60 Hz?

Because it's cheaper. 24fps was chosen as the best compromise between motion quality and cost, and has been the standard ever since the early 1900s.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Because it's cheaper. 24fps was chosen as the best compromise between motion quality and cost, and has been the standard ever since the early 1900s.

Less we forget people are now so used to seeing 24FPS that when higher FPS are tried people dislike it. And now for CGI I am sure it is probably cheeper to render 24 frames rather than 60 or 90 per second.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The lag can't be more than the EVF refresh rate, or you won't be able to feed the EVF unless there's some multithreading happening.

Throughput: the number of frames displayed per unit of time. Latency: the time it takes to capture, process, and display a single frame. Refresh: the rate at which the display 'paints' frames (which is tied to the underlying mechanics of the display and keeping display elements refreshed).

You could theoretically have 120 fps refresh and 1 fps throughput with a 5 second latency. The display will just paint the same frame 120x, and it will just take 5 seconds to see anything when you first activate the system. The EVF refresh rate is no guarantee of either throughput or latency. If I had to guess...
  1. Most EVFs can probably achieve a throughput equal to their advertised refresh in daylight when the camera is not shooting.
  2. Probably all of them experience a severe drop in throughput in low light.
  3. Probably no EVFs have a latency equal to their advertised refresh.
  4. Taking a photograph...especially with a mechanical shutter...introduces a very significant 'bubble' into this pipeline. How the system handles this bubble will depend on latency. But if you see an image instead of a black out then it involves using one or more frames outside the normal latency, and using them for multiple refreshes until the system catches up.
#4 is likely the source of most complaints, including complaints of seeing something like a bird near center of frame when it's really out on the edge. During burst shooting the system just falls further and further behind until you stop shooting and it can resume it's normal processing pipeline. But #3 can be detectable with rapid movement and scene changes. And #2 cannot be ignored for low light shooters.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Throughput: the number of frames displayed per unit of time. Latency: the time it takes to capture, process, and display a single frame. Refresh: the rate at which the display 'paints' frames (which is tied to the underlying mechanics of the display and keeping display elements refreshed).

You could theoretically have 120 fps refresh and 1 fps throughput with a 5 second latency. The display will just paint the same frame 120x, and it will just take 5 seconds to see anything when you first activate the system. The EVF refresh rate is no guarantee of either throughput or latency. If I had to guess...
  1. Most EVFs can probably achieve a throughput equal to their advertised refresh in daylight when the camera is not shooting.
  2. Probably all of them experience a severe drop in throughput in low light.
  3. Probably no EVFs have a latency equal to their advertised refresh.
  4. Taking a photograph...especially with a mechanical shutter...introduces a very significant 'bubble' into this pipeline. How the system handles this bubble will depend on latency. But if you see an image instead of a black out then it involves using one or more frames outside the normal latency, and using them for multiple refreshes until the system catches up.
#4 is likely the source of most complaints, including complaints of seeing something like a bird near center of frame when it's really out on the edge. During burst shooting the system just falls further and further behind until you stop shooting and it can resume it's normal processing pipeline. But #3 can be detectable with rapid movement and scene changes. And #2 cannot be ignored for low light shooters.

Why would the EVF drop frames in low light? Wouldn't you be getting 120fps refresh off the sensor regardless of the light level; just the level of amplification varies?

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Why would the EVF drop frames in low light? Wouldn't you be getting 120fps refresh off the sensor regardless of the light level; just the level of amplification varies?

Amplification can only go so high and do so much. A 1/120th e-shutter speed (it would probably be a little faster because of delays between read outs while the sensor is reset) would leave a lot of scenes pitch black (or filled with nothing but noise) in the EVF even at the highest ISOs.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If im forced to change to the R line (im 5D user from MK I to MKIV)is the adaptor lens good enough to work with the EF lens with this new body ? im very concern about this. Can anyone enlighten on this?

Optically, the adapter is simply an empty tube,. it does not have a lens in it at all. (All it does is situate the EF lens as far away from the sensor as it would be on an EF body.) Your EF lens will work as well on the R camera as it does on your current camera.

The adapter does one more thing, though; it has to pass control signals from the camera to the lens, and whatever information the lens generates back to the camera, but that's simply pass-through.

Upvote 0