Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not much, but in a good way. I wold say happy and excited more than anxious.
You came to the thread yourself, so how about you? Anxious much?

I came to the thread because your chosen title implied that you were sharing your R5 delivery experience, as in an R5 that had been delivered to you, and wanted others to do the same.

Instead, you shared your automated email delivery experience.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have almost the exact same order (minus battery grip, plus CFexpress and UHS-II cards). I ordered about 24 hours after it first went online. I haven't received any email updates.

you won’t get updates for orders that you submitted. They send updates about coming soon / out of stock items to people who specifically ask for the updates. The links for the updates are on the item pages.

the biweekly updates are reminders. They also send notifications when the items are in stock And available for orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
B&H generally ships items to arrive at buyer on "release day". They also preload trailers with "embargoed" items and release the trailer to the carrier (typically FedEx for camera bodies and lenses) with just enough lead time to get to the addressee on the target date. If the "official" date they can sell them is on the 30th, they'll likely release that trailer to FedEx on the morning of the 29th (for standard overnight shipping) to be delivered on the 30th, assuming they have the cameras in time to preload the trailer by the 29th.

You are correct that they will not load any trailers beginning a few hours before sundown on the 29 until a few hours after sundown on the 30th.

I know they have to ship when the items come in but I hate when they ship on Friday and my stuff sits in the UPS, FedEx, USPS facility over the weekend.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've bought cameras from B&H for over 20 years. They always email the message periodically, its automatically generated boilerplate and serves to tell you that they have your order, and will ship when they get them in stock. They are close to the Canon warehouse, and get the cameras 1 or 2 days before the release date. Then, they put most of their crew to work charging cards, printing labels and packing. Its no as though they get the cameras way ahead.

Upvote 0
I pre-ordered at B&H on the day it was released. I placed my order 5:08am PT which is 8 minutes after it became available. When I check on it on the website it says "New Item - Coming Soon - will begin shipping on 7/30". Hopefully that means I was early enough to get one shipped on 7/30. Fingers crossed.

I just called B&H and they said my camera should arrive to them on 8/3 and I should have it around 8/5. Yea!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I came to the thread because your chosen title implied that you were sharing your R5 delivery experience, as in an R5 that had been delivered to you, and wanted others to do the same.

Instead, you shared your automated email delivery experience.
Hi Michael. I apologize, I didn't realize the title was misleading at all. My bad. My thought that it would be a good thing if we shared our delivery experiences coming up this week. I got the idea because of the notice and was wondering if anybody else received anything different.
Again, sorry.

scott.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I pre-ordered at B&H on the day it was released. I placed my order 5:08am PT which is 8 minutes after it became available. When I check on it on the website it says "New Item - Coming Soon - will begin shipping on 7/30". Hopefully that means I was early enough to get one shipped on 7/30. Fingers crossed.

I just called B&H and they said my camera should arrive to them on 8/3 and I should have it around 8/5. Yea!
I keep hearing things like this. It's not that much of a delay, but August 3 is not July 30. I really wish we knew what was going on.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I know they have to ship when the items come in but I hate when they ship on Friday and my stuff sits in the UPS, FedEx, USPS facility over the weekend.

A lot of times it sits on the UPS, FedEx, or USPS (contractor's) trailer on the lot at B&H's warehouse over the weekend. They claim it "shipped" on Thursday when they loaded it onto the trailer, but UPS, FedEx, or USPS doesn't show an origin scan until Sunday night when the driver scans the barcode on the trailer to hook up to it and take it to the nearest sort facility.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I've bought cameras from B&H for over 20 years. They always email the message periodically, its automatically generated boilerplate and serves to tell you that they have your order, and will ship when they get them in stock. They are close to the Canon warehouse, and get the cameras 1 or 2 days before the release date. Then, they put most of their crew to work charging cards, printing labels and packing. Its no as though they get the cameras way ahead.

The two week messages also serve to subtly remind you to keep enough money in the account attached to the card number you gave them when you ordered so that there will be enough funds in it when they run the charge right before they start boxing them up and printing shipping labels.

Upvote 0
I keep hearing things like this. It's not that much of a delay, but August 3 is not July 30. I really wish we knew what was going on.

I see some people saying that B&H has a policy that they cannot tell you when your preorder will ship, so that means that either cpagility got a customer service rep that just made it up or divulged something they were supposed to.

WRT the delay, I wonder if it’s because of this?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I see some people saying that B&H has a policy that they cannot tell you when your preorder will ship, so that means that either cpagility got a customer service rep that just made it up or divulged something they were supposed to.

WRT the delay, I wonder if it’s because of this?

"This" has already been addressed above. B&H doesn't work at any of their facilities during such observances, but they will ship items to be delivered on such days.

Upvote 0
I have been informed that Canon are shipping cameras to dealers on the 29th ready for delivery to customers for the 30th , and that I can expect delivery of my camera this week , people who were quick off the mark pre-ordering should receive it this week , those that weren't will have to wait for the second shipment which will be in Aug/Sept , the whole shipment as far I have been told hasn't been put back to Aug/Sept , its just they won't have enough stock for everyone in the first shipment .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I have been informed that Canon are shipping cameras to dealers on the 29th ready for delivery to customers for the 30th , and that I can expect delivery of my camera this week , people who were quick off the mark pre-ordering should receive it this week , those that weren't will have to wait for the second shipment which will be in Aug/Sept , the whole shipment as far I have been told hasn't been put back to Aug/Sept , its just they won't have enough stock for everyone in the first shipment .
Good insight, hope it's proven correct, thanks.

Upvote 0

I guess what constitutes “quick off the mark” will be the deciding factor. Placed my order the first day but about 5 hours in. We’ll see where I land.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I guess what constitutes “quick off the mark” will be the deciding factor. Placed my order the first day but about 5 hours in. We’ll see where I land.

I ordered on June 18.

However, it's a brick-and-mortar chain store, so it will probably take a day for the cameras to move inside the chain store from their main warehouse to here, so I'm thinking Friday the 31st. I could get a surprise call earlier than that though!

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
I was just informed from Bedford's Camera that my order for R5 will ship within 48 hours. (email sent 1:20 pm Eastern on 7/27)

"Thanks for reaching out! Good news, we have just received an update from Canon and you will be on our first round of shipments. We expect to ship your camera in the next 48 hours. You will receive an email with your tracking number once it’s out for shipment."

That means they will ship it on the 29th for delivery on the 30th.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0