Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
Meaning I don’t power cameras off I set them to shot off at 1 min of being idle. My friend and I only shot still. We didn’t attempt video.

how about other settings you use? . like EVF refresh rate or burst mode you use?

maybe you can make a thread in forum and share with us in detail.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No looks like I was wrong and misunderstood what was being said.

This is the first and only report I have heard of with the camera shutting down from stills use only and I find it very hard to believe.
well.. that's a worry then.. let's see what Canon response would be short to mid term.. .. if any..

Upvote 0
Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying and sharing.
I really do hope all this stuff gets sorted cause I think it is a pretty rad product but for professional use in its current state it is not reliable. With the heat today while shooting the heat index was 94 with humidity and the camera was always in hand and the sun was very direct. Now I have never had this with any of my 1d’s or 5 ‘s so it was a real surprise. I know people will call what I experienced bullshit or something but I am a canon fan, I own 2 1dc’s a 1dxii a 5div a c200 a 600 f4 , 400 2.8 and the list goes on. Cameras are tools for my work and I have always purchased canon for reliability and the R5 is not reliable currently

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I really do hope all this stuff gets sorted cause I think it is a pretty rad product but for professional use in its current state it is not reliable. With the heat today while shooting the heat index was 94 with humidity and the camera was always in hand and the sun was very direct. Now I have never had this with any of my 1d’s or 5 ‘s so it was a real surprise. I know people will call what I experienced bullshit or something but I am a canon fan, I own 2 1dc’s a 1dxii a 5div a c200 a 600 f4 , 400 2.8 and the list goes on. Cameras are tools for my work and I have always purchased canon for reliability and the R5 is not reliable currently
I appreciate your firsthand, on-the-ground insights. And I wish it didn't have to come to people proving their love or fealty to Canon to give us their unfiltered experience. I think we all benefit from real world user feedback like yours. I just think the more details about settings, environment, and usage, the better informed we can be about how this camera really performs.

Upvote 0
This is an interesting comparison:
With all these people getting different results these tests it does show us that Variables are real and if you shoot in cooler temps you might be fine but if not don’t buy a Sony a7siii or an r5 for video and maybe not even stills

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That's pretty pertinent context to leave out in the original post, don't you think?

Is it though? I get you all want this camera to be your savior or something but getting annoyed at what people have experienced because it challenges what you want to believe and hope for your dream camera is pretty ridiculous. Last weekend it was 97 degrees at a motocross I was doing photos at. I shot for 7 hours and did 5700 photos on my 1dc on one battery did i lean on the shutter to much? Did it overheat? Nope. The world is not perfect and neither is any camera. You life will still be good if the r5 is a bit of a let down currently

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Is it though?
Are you saying it's not?

I get you all want this camera to be your savior or something but getting annoyed at what people have experienced because it challenges what you want to believe and hope for your dream camera is pretty ridiculous. Last weekend it was 97 degrees at a motocross I was doing photos at. I shot for 7 hours and did 5700 photos on my 1dc on one battery did i lean on the shutter to much? Did it overheat? Nope. The world is not perfect and neither is any camera. You life will still be good if the r5 is a bit of a let down currently

Nope, just want good, reliable, well-detailed information with which to assess this camera.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your firsthand, on-the-ground insights. And I wish it didn't have to come to people proving their love or fealty to Canon to give us their unfiltered experience. I think we all benefit from real world user feedback like yours. I just think the more details about settings, environment, and usage, the better informed we can be about how this camera really performs.
We did dual cars recording using a prograde 256gb uhs2 sd card and a SanDisk 256 cfexpress. It had a peak designs camera strap on the grip. I have big hands and my pinky was on the bottom of the camera most of the time, shutter speeds were mostly around 3200-8000 while shooting wide open at f2. I’m a left eye shooter so my face is alllllll over the back of the camera, while shooting I had the tilty flippy screen was towards the camera unless we were looking at the images.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
With all these people getting different results these tests it does show us that Variables are real and if you shoot in cooler temps you might be fine but if not don’t buy a Sony a7siii or an r5 for video and maybe not even stills

Yup, something is definitely not ok, lets wait and see what the coming months unearth. I really do hope Canon finds a solution for both R6 and R5.

At least I am forced to wait, because I am stuck in a country where the borders are closed due to Covid-19, and aero shipping a camera and lens doesn't workout well for the budget with their 35% import tax and duty on digital cameras.

It doesn't look like restrictions will be lifted any time soon, but as soon as it is, I am on my way to NYC. I am overhauling my APS-C lineup and going FF mirrorless. I am tired of renting the 5dmIV for important jobs. I will have close to $7000 to overhaul by September, so I really do need this R5 and R6 problem to be solved, or I may have to look at other options when the time comes.

I am not brand loyal at this point, but would rather go with Canon, because the vast majority of the guys I work it shoot Canon as well, so if we are working together its easier to swap and borrow lenses etc in a pinch. Its a big step for me, and a big investment for my career. So this issue has been worrisome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Good lord I hate the internet sometimes. The R5 is a stills camera that does video in parts. If you need a video camera, buy one or hire one? The entire premise this camera is being judged and found guilty on is flawed - that it needs to be a professional cinema camera and powerful stills camera. If you need a video camera in the shape of a stills camera, I hear Sony make a good one...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I understand, YouTube is a great platform to be heard, which is why the overheating and cooldown issue is having a spotlight shone on it. But how many in the real world market would pony up for a video oriented mirrorless camera ala the A7SIII?

How many of you would buy a Canon EOSR5C?
  • It would compromise weather sealing
  • Have vents and a silent fan
  • Full Size HDMI 2.1
  • Delete 29 min 59 second time limit for essentially unlimited recording in all codecs, framerates & bitrates
  • Same photo capabilities as R5
  • Probably cost $4399
Maybe it could add a few extras like Built in ND filters, Shutter Angle Priority, Better Audio Preamps, but will not include them for now since the above seems doable for Canon. If it gets all these video extras it's probably a $5K camera at that point.

Would you buy this camera?

Nope. Not for me. The existing R5 meets my hybrid needs better. I shoot in all weather, and most of my video needs are done in short bursts if it is high frame rate. I already have dedicated video cameras. I want a non-compromised stills camera with video capabilities as the ideal hybrid, and Canon have already provided that. For many of us, we will not be trying to shoot beyond what it was designed to do.

Canon does need to lose the stupid 29:59 limit though, particularly for 1080 and 4K30. That is just dumb to maintain.

You never said what your expectation is for shooting times with all that compromise. Do you think a fan is going to make 4K60/120 and 8K unlimited in hot environments? These MILC bodies are too small for the heat generated and I doubt a proper heat sink and fan can fit anywhere.

You know for just a couple grand more, you could get a cinema camera right? Or just buy a video camera. I feel this constant wish for a compromised hybrid to serve videographers who refuse to buy purpose built equipment silly personally, but to each their own. It is also seems to me the people so emotional about what the camera cannot do, do not have equipment that does any of this today, but they think they need long shooting time of 4K60/120 or 8K. It is almost as if people are just complaining because they are told there are limits, and we all know many people today think they are owed everything for less with no limits. It is a far different mentality than years ago sadly, where people accepted what a camera was designed to do and picked the best tool for their needs instead of all this endless drama and call for change when the only thing really wrong is people are perpetually upset for no rational reason. Canon told us what this camera can do before it could be purchased, and it does it. It's working for me so far.

I might be interested in an updated R5 with longer video times and full size HDMI IF it was in a real body- like the 5D4 size. Mirrorless body size is not as comfortable in the hand. However, by the time I will care about that, the power and thermal profiles of all this technology will be better in a couple years allowing this all in a MILC body again without the fans.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Yup, something is definitely not ok, lets wait and see what the coming months unearth. I really do hope Canon finds a solution for both R6 and R5.

At least I am forced to wait, because I am stuck in a country where the borders are closed due to Covid-19, and aero shipping a camera and lens doesn't workout well for the budget with their 35% import tax and duty on digital cameras.

It doesn't look like restrictions will be lifted any time soon, but as soon as it is, I am on my way to NYC. I am overhauling my APS-C lineup and going FF mirrorless. I am tired of renting the 5dmIV for important jobs. I will have close to $7000 to overhaul by September, so I really do need this R5 and R6 problem to be solved, or I may have to look at other options when the time comes.

I am not brand loyal at this point, but would rather go with Canon, because the vast majority of the guys I work it shoot Canon as well, so if we are working together its easier to swap and borrow lenses etc in a pinch. Its a big step for me, and a big investment for my career. So this issue has been worrisome.
I have used the a9ii quite a bit and it works really well with canon glass the a7iv is also good so you could that route, i can send some pics to you tomorrow that i did with a a9ii and my 600 with a 2x converter if you like

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Good lord I hate the internet sometimes. The R5 is a stills camera that does video in parts. If you need a video camera, buy one or hire one? The entire premise this camera is being judged and found guilty on is flawed - that it needs to be a professional cinema camera and powerful stills camera. If you need a video camera in the shape of a stills camera, I hear Sony make a good one...

Well said. They will never stop though. People are caught up in emotion and hype. The average person seems incapable of their own nuanced and logical thought process, which is why they give so much time to paid talking heads on youtube. I'm guessing this bashing and trying to change the R5 probably gives them a place to exert force and control in an out of control world these days.

It is pretty clear that the camera performs very well for what it was designed for. I've done my own overheat test and exceeded the record times Canon specified in direct sun and hot ambient air. It will more than cover my needs, and its design point: stills with limited very high quality video, and competent 4k30 and 1080 that you can use to your hearts desire.

I notice that most of the people with the largest issues don't seem to have equipment that can do this today, and their opinions are coming from 100% others reports, not experience. They hate what the cutting edge of hybrids is capable of and blame Canon that their innovation is not enough. They won't just go buy the Sony dedicated video camera either, even though somehow that camera (basically useless for stills) overheats in not much more time and lacks the resolution of the Canon.

Hybrid tools always compromise, which is why there are so many great purpose built tools on the market. We are living at a time when there is unbelievable tool sets for creativity- so many great offerings from so many brands. For anyone who is unhappy with these amazing cameras, I don't think it is the cameras that are broken... maybe it is time to look at who is behind the camera. Find a tool that will work for you and move on.

EDIT: the reports of thermal shutdown after taking fast bursts over and over may mean it is not as good at coolng as a 1DX3, meant for sports and in a giant body, but it also has a high MP sensor and must read out more data per shot. If you just lean on the shutter and go full rate, that buffer is going to run for a long, long time, which is the same as running high frame rate video, especially dual card writing. So no, I am not surprised. Does that make the camera unreliable? Not to me for my uses, I would never shoot thousands of shots in just a couple hours in high rate bursts. It is fair to say it might be unreliable as a dedicated sports camera, just like it is not a dedicated video camera. I think the real problem here is, Canon gave this too much power from the video and sports capable cameras, and now everyone thinks it should do all features as perfectly as purpose built tools for those jobs.

I'd love to see Canon improve things if they can for the R5/6, but I maintain that as the mirrorless 5DV with fast bursts and video supported but not dedicated, this is a great camera for many. I also appreciate all the normal customer reports and non hyped reviews, good or bad experiences, so we can all get the info we need to decide if the camera is for our needs. (Well, I already own it, but for everyone else sake)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Please Canon. After you've done sorting/reducing the heat issue with:
A) Quick firmware now. So photographers can shoot short HQ burst without excessive cooling time.
B) Battery grip cooling later on, to enable proper HQ4k and 8k?
C) More firmware.
Basically, let the photographers get their hands on them now.

***Add in 1080 - 120 and 240fps. Even if in crop mode.
***Get rid of time limit for hd, regular 4k and crop 4k. (You need some good will now. This announcement will do that.)

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
I have used the a9ii quite a bit and it works really well with canon glass the a7iv is also good so you could that route, i can send some pics to you tomorrow that i did with a a9ii and my 600 with a 2x converter if you like

Did you use the Metabones or MC 11 adapter?
I have been considering the Sony as an alternative, but I do prefer Canon glass. What I heard was that the EF to E mount adapters can be a bit bothersome.

The guy I rent the 5DmIV from has A7RII, A7III and MC 11 adapters for rent as well. Will have to rent it and give it go with some EF lenses.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Canon should update the R5 with smaller microprocessor fab size for the Digic X, leave everything the same and all should be fine after that.

Is this sarcasm?

Fab reduction is likely to reduce power consumption but may put that power in a more dense area. Second, it costs tens of millions minimum to change a foundry for a new fab size. There is also a huge cost to redesign the ASIC.

Upvote 0
Did you use the Metabones or MC 11 adapter?
I have been considering the Sony as an alternative, but I do prefer Canon glass. What I heard was that the EF to E mount adapters can be a bit bothersome.

The guy I rent the 5DmIV from has A7RII, A7III and MC 11 adapters for rent as well. Will have to rent it and give it go with some EF lenses.
MC11 it was impressive,

Upvote 0