Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

The R5 has certainly caused a stir. I questioned a guy about over heating in stills mode, I chat to CPS often, they have assured me that canon have tested the R5 to death for stills, quote "it DOES NOT overheat", he went on to say "IF the camera was to shut down in stills shooting from heat its faulty and those users should seek a replacement", given that the guy I spoke to was unable to tell me what kind of battery he was using I call BS on his claims, to a point I think he just wants to cause confusion online, some people thrive on it, sad but true.

Cant wait to get my pre order.

Edit, I get the video heat issue, I mean if your a pro video tog how do you trust such a device, how do you plan to shoot those risky modes as part of a workflow, in the light of that I question why did they include them, I guess if you want to use such modes you accept the limitations and shoot around them, not a situation I'd enjoy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The R5 has certainly caused a stir. I questioned a guy about over heating in stills mode, I chat to CPS often, they have assured me that canon have tested the R5 to death for stills, quote "it DOES NOT overheat", he went on to say "IF the camera was to shut down in stills shooting from heat its faulty and those users should seek a replacement", given that the guy I spoke to was unable to tell me what kind of battery he was using I call BS on his claims, to a point I think he just wants to cause confusion online, some people thrive on it, sad but true.

Cant wait to get my pre order.
Still mode does not overheat, but definitely contributes to overheating when entering video for 4KHQ, 4K high frame rates and all the way up to 8K. I shot a photoshoot for 2 hours (stills) and when I did 4K120, 30 minutes into the shoot, I was only given 5 minutes. Towards the end of the shoot I went back to 4K120 and it was at zero.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
:( might have to break that brick of a manual out and read it. Lol

I wouldn't expect the brick of a dead tree manual to be of any use. Mine is still in the wrapper. Two thirds of it is languages you likely don't read (and even if you did, they'd be redundant), the other third is greatly cut down and is missing a lot of stuff. I'd download and read the PDF. (I would like to see Canon print the whole manual in ONE language; it probably wouldn't be much bulkier.)

Whoever made the dead tree manual for one of my cameras (I don't recall which one) chopped out half of the instructions for setting up a custom white balance, and that wasn't obvious. I only found out about the missing steps when I read the PDF version.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0