Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Jan 22, 2012
I understand, YouTube is a great platform to be heard, which is why the overheating and cooldown issue is having a spotlight shone on it. But how many in the real world market would pony up for a video oriented mirrorless camera ala the A7SIII?

How many of you would buy a Canon EOSR5C?
  • It would compromise weather sealing
  • Have vents and a silent fan
  • Full Size HDMI 2.1
  • Delete 29 min 59 second time limit for essentially unlimited recording in all codecs, framerates & bitrates
  • Same photo capabilities as R5
  • Probably cost $4399
Maybe it could add a few extras like Built in ND filters, Shutter Angle Priority, Better Audio Preamps, but will not include them for now since the above seems doable for Canon. If it gets all these video extras it's probably a $5K camera at that point.

Would you buy this camera?
In a heat-beat

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm getting a bit of information overload at the moment with all the vlogs, comments and reviews going on for the R5 & R6.

It's great that people like Gerald Undone do things like this and I'm sure people looking to decide to buy may find it useful. However, in the real world where most people don't use these camera's in temperature controlled environments, only your own experience matters.

I suppose the headline stats along with those provided by Canon give you an initial idea to base a decision on but when all said and done, only you and you alone know what kind of shooting you do, stills, video, stills and video, video at normal or 8k etc etc. so maybe it's time we stop hanging on everyone's review and make out own minds up??

That's certainly what I did and now I have the R5, I'll decide on my own experience. :)
I agree with you. I got my R5 on Thursday and so far it's been great; no overheating.

Upvote 0
Wait what? Let me just understand for a second... You didn't shoot any video? Only stills?
Yup. Only stills. I think we use two or three batteries.Full disclosure I leaned on the shutter a lot I fired off a few thousand rounds and which by the way I must say that tracking is pretty incredible. Auto shut off was at 1 min. Yes I know it was warm out but doing photos then looking at them and doing photos and looking at them you wouldn’t think that a camera would get so warm that it would shut off from stills.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That’s 19 min from a cold body with no foreplay, you take a pic or two and fiddle in the menus that time begins to drop. I got to use an r5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. This was using the ef to rf adapter and a 200mm f2. This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out. I’m glad that I didn’t buy it and needless to say my friend who did is pretty disappointed. I love 1d bodies
Whaaaat.... Houston, we have a problem..

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Yup. Only stills. I think we use two or three batteries.Full disclosure I leaned on the shutter a lot I fired off a few thousand rounds and which by the way I must say that tracking is pretty incredible. Auto shut off was at 1 min. Yes I know it was warm out but still doing photos looking at them and doing photos and looking at them you wouldn’t think that a camera would get so warm that it would shut off from stills.
Sure..

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No what he is saying is he shot lots of still frames for 3 hrs in 86º temp and when he went to use video it gave him 60 seconds of record time in one of the special modes (8K, 4K120, 4K resampled from 8K) before stopping video. If he had wanted to he could have kept shooting lower quality 4K and or stills indefinitely. The lockout only affects the highest resolution video NOT stills or lower resolution video.
Pheeew... all good then... back to BBQ for me..

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Wait what? Let me just understand for a second... You didn't shoot any video? Only stills?
Yup. Only stills.
For real?

This is the PR disaster I mentioned in the other thread in response to stills-only guys saying "I don't care because it doesn't overheat shooting stills." Looking at the fact that stills shooting severely eats into video record time I openly wondered what would happen with R5's in truly hot locations. EVF+DPAF is clearly heating up the camera and it would be foolish to assume that could never, ever be a problem with stills (or LQ 4k30). If people start to experience thermal shutdown shooting stills it will be a PR disaster. Canon will have to address the issue, with a recall and modified hardware if necessary. I've been shooting in so many situations with 90+F and even 100+F weather and my DSLRs have never skipped a beat. A camera which has any risk what-so-ever of thermal shutdown shooting stills is DOA for so many photographers.

I got so excited with this release. I wasn't ready to pre-order but I figured I would add an R5 by year's end. Now? Now I think I should order another 5Ds on eBay before new stock runs out, just to have a spare FF body. Stick with DSLRs for a few more years and if my video itch grows beyond my current gear just add an X-T3 with EF adapter. I don't know how Canon engineering let this one slip by.
For real! So after using this R5 I ordered a 1dxmkiii, I’m not sure if I’ll keep it but I am excited to try it out against my 1 dc and 1dxii. Sony is crushing the mirrorless game but canon is not. I hope this changes and I will probably get a a7siii as well. The r5 is pretty rad. Although i like how the 5d and 1d series feels in my hand compared to the new bodies.

Upvote 0

Osama

CR Pro
Jul 5, 2020
4d1f1b713a22c2de9da8f428bff50a29.gif

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I leaned on the shutter a lot I fired off a few thousand rounds
That's pretty pertinent context to leave out in the original post, don't you think?

I know it was warm out but doing photos then looking at them and doing photos and looking at them you wouldn’t think that a camera would get so warm that it would shut off from stills.
Yes. Yes I would think that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
How do you figure you’re paying extra? R5 barely costs more than 5D4 did at launch without any real video features.

$3499 in 2016 = $3760 in 2020. I paid $3700 for my R5 preorder. It’s a bargain.

Whether or not video works ‘satisfactorily’ depends on who you ask...

But what do I know?
Very curious if you don't mind sharing how you're getting a $3700 price. I can't find that price anywhere.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Yup. Only stills. I think we use two or three batteries.Full disclosure I leaned on the shutter a lot I fired off a few thousand rounds and which by the way I must say that tracking is pretty incredible. Auto shut off was at 1 min. Yes I know it was warm out but doing photos then looking at them and doing photos and looking at them you wouldn’t think that a camera would get so warm that it would shut off from stills.

Damn... That's bad, it's what some people have feared. I would imagine its because of the temperatures you shot in, but still a camera should be able to continually perform in those conditions. I hope this was just a defective model, I am sure if this is a systemic issue more photographers will come forward in the coming months.

Auto shut off was at 1 min.

Also to clarify, because I think someone else is interpreting this wrongly. And putting words in your mouth.

What did you mean by "auto shut off"
I interpreted that as you had the camera set to go to sleep after 1 minute of inactivity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No what he is saying is he shot lots of still frames for 3 hrs in 86º temp and when he went to use video it gave him 60 seconds of record time in one of the special modes (8K, 4K120, 4K resampled from 8K) before stopping video. If he had wanted to he could have kept shooting lower quality 4K and or stills indefinitely. The lockout only affects the highest resolution video NOT stills or lower resolution video.
Meaning I don’t power cameras off I set them to shot off at 1 min of being idle. My friend and I only shot still. We didn’t attempt video.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
No looks like I was wrong and misunderstood what was being said.

This is the first and only report I have heard of with the camera shutting down from stills use only and I find it very hard to believe.
I heard it from another user on the FM forums. He was using a battery from his 90D.
It's early days. I expect to hear these things pop up and am kind of glad for them. The quicker and more detailed and fully-disclosed information we get , the better I would say. The beta tests have begun!

Upvote 0