Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
For real! So after using this R5 I ordered a 1dxmkiii, I’m not sure if I’ll keep it but I am excited to try it out against my 1 dc and 1dxii. Sony is crushing the mirrorless game but canon is not. I hope this changes and I will probably get a a7siii as well. The r5 is pretty rad. Although i like how the 5d and 1d series feels in my hand compared to the new bodies.

Thank you for the report. Canon is so close to "crushing it" in mirrorless. Look at their glass and imagine the R5 with no thermal issues. We can only hope that a fix is coming.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Yes. Yes I would think that.

I have filled memory cards shooting in sunlight, 90-100F, with Canon DSLRs ranging from the 10D (first) to the 5Ds (current main) with zero thermal issues. I would not think stills shooting would overheat a professional camera, nor would I accept such a situation as normal.

If this is what EVFs bring to the table throw the electronics in a 5D4 body and give me a flappy mirror along with a much larger/denser heat sink. Even video record/recovery times would probably be acceptable then.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Fab reduction is likely to reduce power consumption but may put that power in a more dense area. Second, it costs tens of millions minimum to change a foundry for a new fab size. There is also a huge cost to redesign the ASIC.

For all those reasons I don't think a die shrink is in the immediate future or a solution. I would love to see the a Lens Rentals tear down though. Is there any kind of heat sink on the DIGIC X? Is there room for one to pipe heat to the body? People complaining that the camera is overheated yet the body feels cool indicates a big thermal management issue. Hopefully one they can solve.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I have filled memory cards shooting in sunlight, 90-100F, with Canon DSLRs ranging from the 10D (first) to the 5Ds (current main) with zero thermal issues. I would not think stills shooting would overheat a professional camera, nor would I accept such a situation as normal.

If this is what EVFs bring to the table throw the electronics in a 5D4 body and give me a flappy mirror along with a much larger/denser heat sink. Even video record/recovery times would probably be acceptable then.
Ah, you perhaps never experienced the 1ds mark iii AF issue in sunlight/heat. I wonder if that made Canon change their body design to withstand the heat better even though it was just the AF impacted. I don’t think they ever truly fixed it in that body - improved it a lot with firmware fixes. I guess it waited for the next generation before it was fully resolved.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan

I don't have much experience shooting in burst modes extensively. But 45-60mb files multiplied by 12 to 20 FPS in short order for hours, we're talking between 500mb to 1.2gb A SECOND! That's a lot of data to write. And that isn't even taking into consideration DPRAW or writing dual files to dual cards.I don't know what this camera is fully capable of, but 'a few thousand bursts'- (we're talking hundreds of gigs), no, I'm not surprised that it would overheat doing that in any environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I don't have much experience shooting in burst modes extensively. But 45-50mb files multiplied by 12 to 20 FPS in short order for hours, we're talking between 500mb to 1gb A SECOND! That's a lot of data to write. And that isn't even taking into consideration DPRAW or writing dual files to dual cards.I don't know what this camera is fully capable of, but 'a few thousand bursts'- (we're talking hundreds of gigs), no, I'm not surprised that it would overheat doing that in any environment.
1. who shoots for hours at 12FPS? typically you would go with shorter bursts of 1-2, max 3 at a time..
2. DPRAW - is not your standard option.. not what you use for every single shot.
3. writing to dual cards - is not an issue. and never have been.
4. 45MB large files is not something extraordinary or new for Canon. : 5Ds, 5dsR, Sony : A7R3, A7R4

+++ no, I'm not surprised that it would overheat doing that in any environment.

A.M.: Understandable.. because of this: "... I don't have much experience shooting in burst modes extensively...."

in reality, though, this is a requirement for indoor / outdoor sports and many other applications.

You cannot afford having a cam shutting down on you in a professional setting.. I hope that overheating of R5 while taking still frames was an isolated occurrence rather than a trend.

Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020

yes. i think EVF is one of the major culprit here. mirrorless is all time in live view mode . the camera keep doing image processing, displaying in EVF/monitor, calculating focus,exposure, etc. meanwhile DSLR only calculating focus & exposure while shooting through ovf.
R5 is the real test for canon jumping into mirrorlesss world

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
LOL at all these people stamping their feet at Canon demanding changes to the cameras in the comments on a rumor site. I’m sure they’ll get right on with your wish list once they’ve cleared the seemingly massive preorder backlog for the cameras from people who don’t think like video game fans.
I'm assuming you're responding to me.
A7siii now has flip screen, better menu. Is better in video options. A7iv coming will beat the r6 with flip screen, better menu. What's the reason for enticing ex-Canon users to come back then? Or for people to choose Canon, when Sony offer the same with greater lens choice. None! That's why you need to stem the flow now, in this sleepy pandemic when most people are bored with nothing to do.
What's the harm in providing more options to anxious users now from switching. Longer recording times for wedding and interview usage. I'm telling you, if Canon wait longer for the R1 to come out to address these issues, when the a7iv comes out, it'll be too late. Why choose/stay with Canon when Sony has a vast lens choice?

• Haha
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
1. who shoots for hours at 12FPS? typically you would go with shorter bursts of 1-2, max 3 at a time..
Maybe I misinterpreted what the poster who I replied to meant when he said:
I got to use an r5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. ... This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out.
I think we use two or three batteries.Full disclosure I leaned on the shutter a lot I fired off a few thousand rounds

As for your point 3 and 4:
3. writing to dual cards - is not an issue. and never have been.
4. 45MB large files is not something extraordinary or new for Canon. : 5Ds, 5dsR, Sony : A7R3, A7R4
I'm not sure if you're being ingenuous or not, but this isn't like any Canon camera that has come before I don't think. Is there another Canon camera that writes 1200mb/sec bursts of data? 5Ds & 5DsR were 5FPS. That's not even close to the same thing.

Look, don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to say I know what this camera should or shouldn't be capable of. I'm trying to say that I don't know. But when people are only giving half the story but a full-throated opinion, that kinda makes it difficult to know exactly what's happening.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
A7siii now has flip screen, better menu. Is better in video options. A7iv coming will beat the r6 with flip screen, better menu. What's the reason for enticing ex-Canon users to come back then? Or for people to choose Canon, when Sony offer the same with greater lens choice. None! That's why you need to stem the flow now, in this sleepy pandemic when most people are bored with nothing to do.
What's the harm in providing more options to anxious users now from switching. Longer recording times for wedding and interview usage. I'm telling you, if Canon wait longer for the R1 to come out to address these issues, when the a7iv comes out, it'll be too late. Why choose/stay with Canon when Sony has a vast lens choice?

...buy a Sony then? Return your new R6 that you didn’t buy, or cancel the preorder you didn’t make, and obsess about that camera instead.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
LOL at all these people stamping their feet at Canon demanding changes to the cameras in the comments on a rumor site. I’m sure they’ll get right on with your wish list once they’ve cleared the seemingly massive preorder backlog for the cameras from people who don’t think like video game fans.

Canon *will* have to start listening if people keep their wallets shut whilst waiting for long-term reviews to emerge.

Rich amateurs might be rushing to throw their money at the camera, but pros will be waiting for a while due to the technical uncertainty, price and general state of the photography market.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Why is no one talking about the overheat control setting ? It seems to me that it will be a great solution for most of us.
I plan to shoot most in 4k24HQ. In theory, 30 minutes seems plenty for my personal use. What had me worried was Armando' video showing that the camera overheats even when its not rolling.
But If I understand correctly, the overheat control will switch your camera to a lower res as soon as you stop rolling, and put it back to high res as soon as you start rolling again ? If that's the case, it should slow down a lot the build up of heat ?
Another way to get the same effect might be to keep the camera in stills mode, and press record when you're ready to roll, which will switch your camera to the C3 settings...
Maybe im completely wrong, but it gives me a bit of hope.

Upvote 0
So wait, what is this "overheat control" in that chart? It reduces display quality? Which display? Seems like it makes a huge difference.

Also, why does 4k crop have shorter times? I was thinking that mode would be interesting with an EF-to-RF speed booster.
Only 4k60 in crop mode has a shorter time because it is oversampled 5.1k. You can use 4k30 crop (oversampled) with no heat limits

Upvote 0
Greater lens choice ? Highly debatable...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So wait, what is this "overheat control" in that chart? It reduces display quality? Which display? Seems like it makes a huge difference.

Also, why does 4k crop have shorter times? I was thinking that mode would be interesting with an EF-to-RF speed booster.
Can anyone tell us more about the overheat control setting and the impact it has during real world use ? Thanks

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Canon *will* have to start listening if people keep their wallets shut whilst waiting for long-term reviews to emerge.

Rich amateurs might be rushing to throw their money at the camera, but pros will be waiting for a while due to the technical uncertainty, price and general state of the photography market.
My point exactly. What's wrong with chasing rich amateurs money as well as pros? Rich amateurs aint gonna wait months when the competition is now. Why not offer unlimited recording in lower modes? Wait until all the wedding videographers and long form amateur recording using Sony, by then?

Upvote 0