DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Who the hell wants to carry around multiple bodies for video during a wedding or for anything. Who wants to keep switching mods WORRYING about over heating. You want to work without worrying at all. No one wants added stress to their life.
Some portrait photographers shoot natural light (available light), some take the extra miles to bring strobes and assistant to help them out. You want to stand out, go the extra stresses. Leave laziness to the lazies.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
No one wants to cancel Canon. What would be awesome is if Canon could somehow fix this with a recall and restore the R5/R6 to being arguably the best FF mirrorless options on the table. The IQ is stellar, the ergonomics are awesome, the IBIS is Olympus class, the RF glass is amazing. These two cameras should dominate the market right now.

But they have a fever.

How do you know how it is doing in the market? Do you have figures we don't? The only rumors I can find say Canon can only fill about 10% of the pre-orders with the first shipment for the R5, which if true is a similar market reaction that the successful D850 had.

It IS one of the best mirrorless options on the table already. It shoots incredible stills in all weather and very HQ video with some reasonable limits for everyone but dedicated video users. No other MILC camera on the market shoots high quality stills with this level of HQ video, IBIS, AF. The fact that there must be any compromise to perfection has people up in arms. Yet all this in a tiny MILC body that obviously is not going to cool well. Why not be up in arms about the compromises Sony made with A7S3? Choosing weaker IBIS and weather sealing, 12MP, lower bitrates are all large thermal advantages. Guess how long the Sony can shoot 8K (as if anyone needs 8K, really)? It shoots zero minutes of 8K. How many quality stills can it make for serious landscape photographers? Zero for anyone who isn't making tiny prints or casual snapshots- good luck if you need to crop in slightly on your 12MP stills. It allegedly cools well and shoots longer than Canon, but not in the hot sun. Any criticism of it and the 'tests are flawed'. The Sony is reviewed as what it is, a video camera with limited stills. Why is not the Canon being treated like what it is- a stills camera with limited video? It should be compared against A7R4 or similar stills bodies with some video features. It can shoot competent low bit rate video for a long time. Where is the controversy other than people want it to do what it was not designed for?

Canon may have been careless in marketing presentation, but they still disclosed everything up front.

The reaction is showing a similarity to cancel culture here. Mindless emotionalism and endless bashing laser focused without rationality. Instead of simply waiting or choosing another product, people are beating this point into the ground. Instead of simply making the point once and having a constructive discussion, it is constant complaint in the wrong places. Mature people would simply email Canon and perhaps post adult and well reasoned posts in a few places and leave it be at that. What you see instead is a bunch of angry whining parrots who have never held this camera blathering endlessly. The worst part is the group think you see going around. So and so clickbait reviewer said this, blah blah blah.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You get 37 minutes of 4K60 Internal, and no overheating with External. Use that, problem solved. And who shoots long segments of 4K120 during a wedding? You do know all of these compact, weather-sealed, fanless cameras overheat, right? This isn't just a R5/R6 thing.

Please stop with the "Long 120p takes" strawman. It's cumulative, doing a few, short 120p shots has the same effect as a single, long 120p shot.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Shane

Shane
Nov 3, 2014
Chicago
I don't understand all the people expecting such a small form factor to produce such high quality images without a trade off. Its not a dedicated video camera and was never designed to be one. Had Canon put a fan in it and made it stay cool it would be bigger and not quiet enough and more complaints would follow. I got to play with an R6 and and R5 and I'm blown away. I am a high volume wedding shooter so two R6 bodies are on my list and the first preordered already. For photos they are a home run. I always said when the R came out, put a joystick on it and two slots and a 1Dx3 sensor and its a wedding winner. I shot with two 5Dsr bodies for a year and after 40 weddings I hated the huge files most of the time. May get a R5 down the road for seniors and engagements, but run and gun candid work the R6 is my dream camera. The RF glass finally has worthy bodies, and to be honest wether on my R or RP the RF glass just rocks. Just my five cents.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
What seems lost . . .

These cameras really have no competition!

The 12MP Sony? Really? That is NOT competition. That is a video-centric camera with a P&S MP count!

As always, the market will decide. My R5 order remains firm.

If I were doing contract wedding photography, and clients were actually demanding downsampled 4K and full 8K video in the package, I'd not be using any presently available hybrid camera for the job. That said, the R5 is the ONLY hybrid presently on the market that COULD do the job, allowing its limitations be allowed for! What other 4000USD camera will get you ANY 8K footage?

The R5 will do any and everything any competitor's camera will do . . . and, within its limitations, go where those competitors can not!

And, BTW, are customers actually demanding downsampled 4K and 8K for their weddings? Or is this whole controversy a manufactured one?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I have the R5 and I shoot photos and 4k24p HQ clips with it. Works perfectly for me thus far and I live in an area with constant temperatures between 28-34 degrees celsius. No idea what the overheating issue is about. No one in the right mind would shoot feature length videos with a such a tiny camera - a cinema camera would be the better tool for the job.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Please stop with the "Long 120p takes" strawman. It's cumulative, doing a few, short 120p shots has the same effect as a single, long 120p shot.
Okay, so then if you do 20-30 consecutive 30-second 4K120 segments, then the R5 maybe isn't for you. You can get a Sony A7S3 and maybe squeeze out an extra X segments. But then if you want anything more than 12MP stills, you'll have to carry a second body around anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I am not as worried about the heating as of now, but the computer processing power to edit 4k 120 / 8k 30. As of now, my MBP cannot handle the load, which is frustrating. Good thing I am primarily a stills shooter.
Yep and the vast majority of whiners don't have the camera, or the budget for the whole workflow including very expensive memory cards and CPU/GPU and storage upgrades either.

I know my purpose built editing tower with lots of CPU/GPU and project SSDs starts to choke slightly on the 4K60 even, depending on the codec, but I built it with 4K30 in mind and insist on using Resolve so I deal with what I must. I've yet to try the in camera proxies which looks like a nice time saver if it works well.

The camera is really for stills and light duty video, which cannot be repeated enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
You shoot weddings at 8K? What are your computer specs like that you can process 8K video so well?

it’s the 4K60 and 4khq that is the problem. The fact that you can take pictures to where you can over heat the camera and have no option to use it.

How do you know how it is doing in the market? Do you have figures we don't? The only rumors I can find say Canon can only fill about 10% of the pre-orders with the first shipment for the R5, which if true is a similar market reaction that the successful D850 had.

It IS one of the best mirrorless options on the table already. It shoots incredible stills in all weather and very HQ video with some reasonable limits for everyone but dedicated video users. No other MILC camera on the market shoots high quality stills with this level of HQ video, IBIS, AF. The fact that there must be any compromise to perfection has people up in arms. Yet all this in a tiny MILC body that obviously is not going to cool well. Why not be up in arms about the compromises Sony made with A7S3? Choosing weaker IBIS and weather sealing, 12MP, lower bitrates are all large thermal advantages. Guess how long the Sony can shoot 8K (as if anyone needs 8K, really)? It shoots zero minutes of 8K. How many quality stills can it make for serious landscape photographers? Zero for anyone who isn't making tiny prints or casual snapshots- good luck if you need to crop in slightly on your 12MP stills. It allegedly cools well and shoots longer than Canon, but not in the hot sun. Any criticism of it and the 'tests are flawed'. The Sony is reviewed as what it is, a video camera with limited stills. Why is not the Canon being treated like what it is- a stills camera with limited video? It should be compared against A7R4 or similar stills bodies with some video features. It can shoot competent low bit rate video for a long time. Where is the controversy other than people want it to do what it was not designed for?

Canon may have been careless in marketing presentation, but they still disclosed everything up front.

The reaction is showing a similarity to cancel culture here. Mindless emotionalism and endless bashing laser focused without rationality. Instead of simply waiting or choosing another product, people are beating this point into the ground. Instead of simply making the point once and having a constructive discussion, it is constant complaint in the wrong places. Mature people would simply email Canon and perhaps post adult and well reasoned posts in a few places and leave it be at that. What you see instead is a bunch of angry whining parrots who have never held this camera blathering endlessly. The worst part is the group think you see going around. So and so clickbait reviewer said this, blah blah blah.

“cancel culture” , screams you have a whole other discussion you want to have .

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020

Can you describe your test method for that assertion? Include ambient temperature, total sequence of activity, etc. At what point would you consider the test a pass? Zero limitations for infinite time?

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I did some video testing yesterday. Shot in a barn (which was moderately hot, about 24 degrees celcius I guess) with a bunch of kitties; I was there for about an hour and shot about short 40 clips, the majority in 120 fps, a bunch in 24 fps HQ and some rest material - after it heated up - in 60 fps. And yes, I have the strong impression that's true about the cumulative time shooting 120 fps. None of my takes were longer than 15 seconds (which still is quite long for editing purposes as you'll read below).

To be honest, I could imaging this being a let down for a bit more serious video or hybrid production. Often you'll spend much more time on location and need to shoot a few more clips than that.

That said, what I did learn is that if I need 120 fps, it's better to shoot much shorter clips. Some were about 15 seconds of filming, but you'll end up with 75 seconds of footage in your 24 fps timeline, of which you'll probably only need a few seconds. Also, shooting in 120 fps and HQ will result in very big files; I ended up with 120gb for this project, and Final Cut needs a bit of proxy'ing for proper editing. Output does surely look great.

This was the first time ever I shot in c-log and probably will need to learn a lot more, but not unhappy for a first time. Also, shooting out of hand and getting decent footage was rather easy with this camera.

To me, it's primarily a stills camera and I expect to use video moderately, but I do hope there will be some improvements in this regard, in particular if things change and video becomes a bit more serious for me. Perhaps a firmware but I'd be happy to turn in the camera for a recall if that's what's needed. Until that time I don't mind hanging on to it at all for my photography; it's a brilliant camera for that.

I think the marketing approach could've been much better. They should've promoted it primarily as an amazing stills camera (which it is), with some very good video features that have a compromise at the highest settings.

ps almost forgot; the result!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The line skipped/ pixel binned modes equivalent to say, an EOS R?
I havent done the comparison. All I hope is that the low light has at least improved. Give me smoething over the R in terms of video quality. I am tired of using these god damn heavy ass cinema cameras.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

I have the R5 and I shoot photos and 4k24p HQ clips with it. Works perfectly for me thus far and I live in an area with constant temperatures between 28-34 degrees celsius. No idea what the overheating issue is about. No one in the right mind would shoot feature length videos with a such a tiny camera - a cinema camera would be the better tool for the job.
I, for one, just want to say I like your set up. Nice lenses and bodies. Enjoy the R5! Glad its working for you!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
it’s the 4K60 and 4khq that is the problem. The fact that you can take pictures to where you can over heat the camera and have no option to use it.
That IS NOT how the R5 works, when it gives a temperature warning and shuts off from capturing high resolution video you can immediately turn the camera back on and use it for still and or regular video. The only thing you get locked out of is the highest video specs.

to reiterate, the R5 NEVER bricks or locks you out of stills or regular video even if it just shutdown.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0