Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

Wonder why Canon is only showing their best side in advertising they are paying for??? Shameful marketing focusing the narrative on only what they want...

mar·ket·ing

"the action or business of promoting and selling products or services, including market research and advertising."

gimmick
noun [ C ]
mainly disapproving

something that is not serious or of real value that is used to attract people's attention or interest temporarily, especially to make them buy something:

8K in a stills camera

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Dude, im a traveler, i use a camera for filming vlogs and taking pictures on my travels, i cant carry this rig. It beast the whole point of having a mirrorless camera, im allrady forced to use some shitty APS-C 10-18mm cropped lens for vloging on this thing, cause canon RF glass is too heavy, so im gona pass on the Ninja i dont care how much it costs i just want it to work as it is, without gadgets. i dont shoot films, i dont shoot weadings, i shoot my life while i travel so form factor is one of the biggest things for me

Sorry but anything less than 8K120 is garbage for travel vlogs and cat videos; you'll be laughed out of the room with your simple 4K60- pathetic footage. You need to work harder to get this failure of a camera fixed, it has been weeks already! It should shoot 16K AT LEAST onto cheap SD cards and have at least two more stops of stabilizing. Only 6-8 stops are you kidding me!? This is 2020, what a joke Canon! We could have had a levitating 32K240P camera with infinite battery life and pocket sized lenses but you crippled everything Canon the Betrayer! Truly, Canon is a villain and all you bold heroes will save us all, getting the "perfect" camera capable of all things in a tiny body for less money. Of course brand X will have a better camera in 6 months and we will all be a failure again and have to throw out all old pictures and video for the garbage quality. 45MP? 4K30? What a pathetic JOKE! Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

Take a step back: You think the camera is broken because you want it to do what it was not designed to do and you cannot accept it. Your interpretation of this product is your ego talking, not logic or reason. A company made a thing and told you exactly what it can do. You don't like how it turned out so you will whine and moan and ridicule the company and anyone who does accept the camera for what it is. You argue it is crippled, broken, you've been cheated, etc. You say you want the perfect camera. What happens in a year when it isn't the best anymore? You are being completely unreasonable and telling everyone else they are the ones who don't get it. There is no real controversy here, just the one invented by people who continue to beat this dead horse. As if 4K30 standard is so awful, or vlogging or anything else is that much better in the HQ video modes.

How do you POSSIBLY get by on your travels and vlogs now? Which 4k60 camera are you shooting now? You seem to be one of these people with some emotional fixation on an unreasonable scenario who thinks the perfect gear can be made and will make the shot. It is who is behind the camera and their ability that makes the shot. You can make incredible footage with any of the cameras out today. Do you hear marketing for other products and lose it? Do you return food because it isn't presented as pretty as the picture?

You also say Canon RF glass is too heavy and you have to use crappy APS-C glass while you are pushing for cutting edge images!? So you want the best on paper but you are not willing to be inconvenienced to carry good glass...makes perfect sense. Why are you shooting full frame at all? Do you want a special lens line just for you that violates the laws of physics? Someone like you who cannot accept the physics of optics or electronics needs to be using a phone or gopro since you can't be realistic about equipment and insist on maximum portability. In fact I have seen very professional content produced with very small sensors and cameras.

Maybe accepting a compromise somewhere would suit you better than trying to force the impossible. Go buy a camera that does suit your needs and stop complaining and go out and use it. You'll get a lot more enjoyment and better shots working with what is possible, than constantly lamenting what isn't. Or if you still insist, since you know better than Canon and all the other customers, you probably should start your own camera company because you clearly want to design a camera for your exact niche need and obviously Canon cannot get it right.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This one does both stills and video very well. Unless you insist that the video be in 8K, or downsampled 8K (4KHQ) or (whatever the third overheat mode is, I've forgotten).

I find it curious that people are judging this camera poorly because it's limited in modes that other cameras don't have at all; then that other camera is pointed to as an example of a camera that does video well.

The 8 K is something that so far, no other camera in this class can do at all. So to claim that some other camera can do video well even though it ALWAYS has a zero minute limit in 8K, but this one doesn't do video well because it usually has 8K limitation greater than zero, is quite inconsistent. Now I don't know enough about other brands to compare the other video modes, but so far as I know the 1080p works well, and the 4K line skipping works quite well, too, and they are not cropped (which was the last big complaint).
I don't care about 8K at all, 4K120p is quite interesting but not what I would use frequently. But the 4K60p should work, or at least HQ 4K30p without any overheating.
Or even a bit lower in requirement: 30min working and 5-10min resting will recover it (fully), shooting stills should not affect recording videos. I don't mind the camera thicker by 1-2cm if that make the thermal managable.
Well, that's just my wishlist but then the camera would be so practical and push Canon far ahead for few years until new models come out.
I saw some companies do rehousing vintage lenses for cameras. Some companies modify camera to have super low sensor heat, therefore super low thermal noise on sensor for astronomy. They charged a few thousands. Maybe we could see a R5x modified by third party to provide non-overheating video recording. If they could do it, adding 3-4k service fee on an R5 is still a feasible business but it's out of my budget entirely.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I don't care about 8K at all, 4K120p is quite interesting but not what I would use frequently. But the 4K60p should work, or at least HQ 4K30p without any overheating.
Or even a bit lower in requirement: 30min working and 5-10min resting will recover it (fully), shooting stills should not affect recording videos. I don't mind the camera thicker by 1-2cm if that make the thermal managable.
Well, that's just my wishlist but then the camera would be so practical and push Canon far ahead for few years until new models come out.
I saw some companies do rehousing vintage lenses for cameras. Some companies modify camera to have super low sensor heat, therefore super low thermal noise on sensor for astronomy. They charged a few thousands. Maybe we could see a R5x modified by third party to provide non-overheating video recording. If they could do it, adding 3-4k service fee on an R5 is still a feasible business but it's out of my budget entirely.

Are you suggesting a 3-4 thousand dollar service fee and redesign/modification of a stills camera that only costs that much as a solution instead of just buying a dedicated video camera or second body?! Why are you all so obsessed with this? The R5 is an amazing camera that never bricks with 4k30 and still can shoot ultra quality for light duty. The VAST majority of people complaining don't seem to presently own equipment that can do what it does, and they get by, yet somehow it is not enough. I also notice many, perhaps most of them don't really need the HQ they want it, and they don't really need to shoot stills of the quality it can, they are vloggers and whatnot. Never watched a vlog (I try to avoid them) that would be better with ultra resolution. I think people are upset at the controversy itself, perhaps they identify with the things they buy or something.

I find these arbitrary lines of acceptable people are drawing for the R5/6 amusing- always with the conclusion that something is wrong and the cameras must be changed. Why is 4KHQ ok, but 4K30 standard is apparently unusable garbage? Compared to many other cameras the 4K30 from R5 looks quite competitive. Sharpened it looks very good. It may not be as good but it is at least mid market and coming from an amazing stills camera (maybe the best out right now) and is the best hybrid full frame that has been put out by anyone (unless you can settle for 12MP stills or even more out of date cropped 4k30). Some Hollywood movies and TV shows were shot on the 5D2, reportedly it overheated, but the results were still amazing and people worked with what was the best possible tech at the time. Should they never show those episodes of House MD again, or sections of the movie Iron Man because that camera was imperfect?

Why are you not all ranting and raving at the 30 minute record limit and focusing like a laser on the limitations on HQ and 8K? I'm far more irritated with that than any real physical limitations engineering teams had to work with, and yet I still don't care, I can work with reality and adapt just fine, or I can buy another camera or brand (which I have done when a Canon doesn't fit).

In a year, will it be the next Canon model that is a failure because it only has 8K60 standard and not 8K60 HQ? Will you look back on 4K30 or 4KHQ and say it is utter garbage that you cannot believe anyone ever used? Just wondering, are you all also over in the Sony or Nikon forums beating them up for their failures?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sorry but anything less than 8K120 is garbage for travel vlogs and cat videos; you'll be laughed out of the room with your simple 4K60- pathetic footage. You need to work harder to get this failure of a camera fixed, it has been weeks already! It should shoot 16K AT LEAST onto cheap SD cards and have at least two more stops of stabilizing. Only 6-8 stops are you kidding me!? This is 2020, what a joke Canon! We could have had a levitating 32K240P camera with infinite battery life and pocket sized lenses but you crippled everything Canon the Betrayer! Truly, Canon is a villain and all you bold heroes will save us all, getting the "perfect" camera capable of all things in a tiny body for less money. Of course brand X will have a better camera in 6 months and we will all be a failure again and have to throw out all old pictures and video for the garbage quality. 45MP? 4K30? What a pathetic JOKE! Obvious sarcasm is obvious.

Take a step back: You think the camera is broken because you want it to do what it was not designed to do and you cannot accept it. Your interpretation of this product is your ego talking, not logic or reason. A company made a thing and told you exactly what it can do. You don't like how it turned out so you will whine and moan and ridicule the company and anyone who does accept the camera for what it is. You argue it is crippled, broken, you've been cheated, etc. You say you want the perfect camera. What happens in a year when it isn't the best anymore? You are being completely unreasonable and telling everyone else they are the ones who don't get it. There is no real controversy here, just the one invented by people who continue to beat this dead horse. As if 4K30 standard is so awful, or vlogging or anything else is that much better in the HQ video modes.

How do you POSSIBLY get by on your travels and vlogs now? Which 4k60 camera are you shooting now? You seem to be one of these people with some emotional fixation on an unreasonable scenario who thinks the perfect gear can be made and will make the shot. It is who is behind the camera and their ability that makes the shot. You can make incredible footage with any of the cameras out today. Do you hear marketing for other products and lose it? Do you return food because it isn't presented as pretty as the picture?

You also say Canon RF glass is too heavy and you have to use crappy APS-C glass while you are pushing for cutting edge images!? So you want the best on paper but you are not willing to be inconvenienced to carry good glass...makes perfect sense. Why are you shooting full frame at all? Do you want a special lens line just for you that violates the laws of physics? Someone like you who cannot accept the physics of optics or electronics needs to be using a phone or gopro since you can't be realistic about equipment and insist on maximum portability. In fact I have seen very professional content produced with very small sensors and cameras.

Maybe accepting a compromise somewhere would suit you better than trying to force the impossible. Go buy a camera that does suit your needs and stop complaining and go out and use it. You'll get a lot more enjoyment and better shots working with what is possible, than constantly lamenting what isn't. Or if you still insist, since you know better than Canon and all the other customers, you probably should start your own camera company because you clearly want to design a camera for your exact niche need and obviously Canon cannot get it right.

Very harsh.

Why such an animal hater? I love animals. birds, dogs, pussycats...

breath in...breath out...Serenity Now...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
i need megapixels i don't want to carry 2 bodies any more. I need to lighten my bag. a7s3 is of course the perfect video camera, but for photos its not high rez enough.
Oh, a7s3 lacks megapixels?

Maybe that's why the same laws of physics result in a different set of limitations for that camera? What do you think?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
if canon R5 was overheating in oversimple modes only i would agree, but it cant even capture 60p line skip without overheat? its the same processing function as taking full read off 4k sensor like on s3...
No, it's not. R5 is DPAF, which means it needs to process twice as many pixel values.

Good for animal eye tracking, though, which is what I need from this camera.

• Haha
Upvote 0
My friend..... you need to get off your high horse, mr preacher. I want a "perfect hybrid camera" that's what i mean, i don't have an ego and there is total logic. They [Canon] didnt tell me "exactly" what it can do, i learned the limitations trough social media, if i blindly followed canons advertisement i wouldn't have learned about the limitations. every so often it is time for an upgrade, i been rocking a7r3 and a6400 on my travels and it has been great, i dont "need" 4k60 or 4k HQ to make my videos or photos better, BUT it is time for it now. Panasonic, sony both deliver 4k60 without overheating, i dont like Panasonic i never had one and i dont want to try it, and my issue with sony going forward is that its a 2 system split, perhaps sony a7V will be the perfect hybrid, but i set my mind for an upgrade right now, so im between replacing my a6400 with a7s3 OR replacing both my cameras with R5.
What 4k 60 Cameras im shooting now you ask? i dont, i shoot 60p at 1080 because and its great, but if i Upgrade my camera i need more then 1080 i need to have a reason to upgrade. my a7r3 costs about 2k right now so im doubling the price of the camera + glass for what? so i can have the same thing? its a stupid argument and you sound like a bitter man who has some weird envy for people who not using the creative devices the way you see them being used.
My ability behind the camera is good dont you worry about that, and i dont need some preachy asshole telling me what i need and dont need, I know what i need, i need a perfect hybrid camera. at first R6 sounded like its the one, but its not as it overheats, now its R5 cause at least 4k24 not overheating, but more i think about it the less i want to switch because it sounds less and less like an upgrade and more and more like a switch.

"RF glass is heavy, I dont want to inconvenience to carry glass" again sony got me covered there with smaller f4 zeiss lenses but i dont mind grabbing RF 24-105 f4 for photography while having 10-18 as my vlogging lens, 35m for cinematics and portraits and stabilizer shots and maybe ill grab and 80 f1.4 ef for some nice bokeh B-roll and old school portraits.. I'm sure Canon will make more compact glass like Sony's smaller Zeiss f4 lenses that are small and sharp in the future and im willing to gamble on that..

"i need to cary phone or go Pro" you say, well.... see if i was just making videos i wouldnt be looking at R5 now would i?
ANd whats with the laws of physics? look buddy, unlike you loyal canon boyz, i have been jumping systems every so often, all of this is not new, sony and panasonic been doing this for years, you just never had a chance to experement and play with the stuff, so you are not initiated in the whole "mirrorless world" the whole idea of mirrorless is that its smaller, lighter, compact, perfect for travelers. Why do i shoot full frame you ask? cause i can, i want to capture best image, and im willing to dish out exessive cash on that image, you dont know me, you dont know my art so what are you doing preaching to me?

To summarize, if i was to switch back to Canon I need an upgrade, R5 is not an upgrade as it stands, it bigger, bulkier heavier, it overheats, smaller lens selection and its more expensive AND THE ONLY reason why i want it is the hybrid factor of it, and unless its fixed i dont need it, and i wont get it and ill be shooting with what i got, but if it does then ill have my perfect camera....

Right on!

But so many people on this forum make fun of social media and Youtubers. For reason such as:
"all they talk about is how bad video is on this camera and nothing about how great it is for stills"

Well not EVERYONE has such high concerns for stills.
Or Maybe since there are no issues with stills then there is nothing to WORRY about with regards to stills so there is no need to do a video about something that there is nothing about.
If Telsa's next car ends up crashing and killing people all the time, of course you will see more videos about that then the new specs and features.
Maybe because YouTube people need to use a VIDEO feature to create their content, that is why you see so many of them review mainly the VIDEO features of these types of camera.
Maybe it is completely ridiculous and OVERKILL to us an expensive Video/CINEMA that youtube people cannot possibly afford to do their videos?(It's YT, not Hollywood!)
And maybe if CANON 1) didn't market their new cameras with features as, and I QUOTE: "GROUND BREAKING", "REVOLUTIONARY" and 2) tell us just how long it would take to cool down completely (and all the other issues we found out ONLY FROM sources OTHER THAN CANON, such as YouTubers), then maybe none of this media mess would have happened and continue to happen for so many weeks (months now?)

Is this Canon's BIGGEST PR mess ever???

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Once again I'm pretty surprised by your approach on this issue, given your past objectivity. To characterise (all?) those countering the criticism as having 'no reason other than to want to defend Canon' is demonstrably wrong, wilfully misleading, and startlingly unconstructive.

Not from where I'm sitting. After reading this thread in one pass, I wrote that post rather than respond to the many baseless attacks against people discussing the overheating.

A lot of people have merely been saying, there's no such thing as a free lunch, the limitations are unlikely to be a conspiracy (as some critics have suggested),

The first point is demonstrably false (in the context of this discussion) as people are finding ways of tricking the camera into recording longer periods and are not finding dangerous hot spots with FLIR cameras. Using the same cameras they can also show that time limits will engage when the camera is cooler than other times when it will record.

Which leads to the second point being a possibility, although in all fairness to Canon it's also possible the firmware is just buggy or unfinished in this regard.

they were advertised from the start

This is probably the most annoying 'excuse' to hear over and over again: Canon did not advertise the cool down times nor the impact of stills shooting from the start, even though they render the HQ video modes practically worthless.

Indeed to even state there are just two groups is to ignore a lot of nuance on the subject.

Repeating the things you did above is ignoring the nuances of the subject.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I’m lobbying for GM to fix my Chevy so that it will perform like a Porsche. Still waiting. :LOL:

You have never known a Porsche owner in your life if you think they wouldn't be threatening to burn the company to the ground over advertising a track car while failing to mention you need a 2 hour cool down after every 3 laps. And just sitting in the car listening to the radio might reduce that to 1 lap or even none.

And yes, Canon pushed the R5 as a Porsche, not a Chevy.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Do you realize that temperature is pretty capable of degrading electronics over time, and timers may be necessary to protect the camera aginst such degradation during its projected lifetime?

This excuse is wearing thin as well when consumer electronics routinely run to even higher temperatures for extended periods and last for years.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
ohh no I'm one of those very successful college drop outs.... got a lot of them master degree friends tho who are all broke... So tell me this tho browski, You are a "micro electronics master" the furtest thing from an artist, and im a senior Artist, so who are you to tell me what camera i need exactly?
I don't care about what camera you think you "need". I'm telling you that this camera is what I need, and if you want a different camera, go find your own.

If you were producing any actual art I would find interesting, I could care enough to try to help. But so far, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
great...so you got your camera then, so have it, keep it cherish it and shoot what you need to shoot with it. I dont have it yet, so ill keep bashing Canon untill I do easy as that...... and how would you know what is the case in terms of my art? i havent showed you any

So by what moral right do you decide you will make it a hobby to "bash Canon" just because they won't give you what you think you're entitled to? (And why not go attack someone else, since they haven't given you what you think you're entitled to, either?) The whiny, spoiled sense of entitlement just drips from your keyboard. You need to grow up.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Hmm, all the accounts created with a single post that have shown up on CR just to bash on the R5 qualifies them as ID 10 T's to me.

Name them. The names I'm looking at were registered long before the R5 was released.

BTW if there is an intentional limitation that is protecting the Camera then Canon has protected their customers. Real shame that yours and others first thought is everyone is out to cheat them.

They still should have been clear in the limitations from the start.

You see an IR Camera cannot read the code running in the Camera it can only show you a single data point. That you make the leap to this as proof that there is something underhanded going on is more a reflection of you.

Pretty sure if there was a hot spot the FLIR cameras would pick it up. I don't see silica ceramic insulators in any of the tear downs.

I do not think you get it at all... To those that NEED the other modes what the ****** were they using 3 weeks ago for 8K, 4K120, 4K HQ, or even 4K60?

Oh that makes sense. If you didn't have it 3 weeks ago, why do you need it now? We can follow that line of reasoning all the way back to living in caves.

Whatever they were using three weeks ago I can tell you what they will not be using in the following weeks and months if it doesn't get fixed. While you're white knighting for m'lady Canon you might want to think about the long term impact on sales, marketshare, consumer perceptions, etc. If this is indeed a firmware problem Canon should address it then fix it ASAP. I'm of the opinion that if it's a fixable hardware problem it would be worth the recall cost to make it right.

People who are upset about this are not upset because they hate Canon or want Canon to fail. They're upset because they very much want to stick with Canon.

I have discussed this issue ALOT and I am more then willing to continue to discuss the issue with sane and rational people that do not jump to conclusions based on what "I" see as clear bias towards Canon as company.

You don't believe there is an issue at all and basically just confirmed you're here for m'lady. Canon doesn't need you and the people who are trying to figure this out certainly do not need your sarcasm and insults.

And to think other people have said it's not fair for me to classify the contributors in these threads into two groups. Really? :LOL:

My last point before I place you back on ignore is I am "playing white knight' as you say because there is a campaign of disinformation and half truths stated as FACT going on and I do not suffer fools gladly.

M'lady Canon is never going to sleep with you.

You spelled ****** off wrong.

That was never my intent but you want to go there? Fine. ****** off.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0