The Canon EOS ‘R5s’ may be in the hands of testers [CR2]

there's just alot of good you can do when you have more data.

Yeah, and I guess that’s my curiosity about bit depth. I’m wondering if ‘better apples’ is best, or if ‘oranges’ isn’t a route worth considering.

When I look at hasselblad X series it’s the 16 bits I envy more so than resolution.

But I’m coming around. I’d be happy to settle for loads of pixels if I had to.

Upvote 0
The photo below I have printed at 24 x72 inches @ 300dpi.

So now I’ve got printer envy, thanks.

I certainly would like to do less stitching. Mainly I do top-bottom ‘panoramas’, but the idea of cropping instead and ‘wasting’ pixels makes me cringe. I’ll probably still paste ‘em together even when I get a future 600MP camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon makes 24, 36, 44 and 60 inch large format printers. Any photographer who owns one of these would like 90 MP. The photo below I have printed at 24 x72 inches @ 300dpi. It is stitched together from 19 photos from a 5DsR (50 MP). With 90 MP I could probably do it with half the number of photos. While taking the photos clouds move, people and cars move. Below I also have two 100% crops of the full photo. The less photos I have to take the less time I spend on the computer afterwards fixing things.

View attachment 192674

View attachment 192675

View attachment 192676
I have the Pro-2000 and absolutely love it and the prints it makes. Possibly my only regret is that I didn’t get the 4000 but I really don’t have the space and rarely want larger than 24” on the short side.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
If my math is right, the crop mode on a 90 megapixel camera would still give you 34 megapixels to work with :oops: That would be insane for wildlife. The R5 has already been lifechanging for me in its ability to be both a great full frame 45mp camera and a great 17mp crop sensor, but that would still be more resolution than a friggin' 5D mark IV even when you crop in to 1.6x...

Dumb question....when you use the crop mode, does that reduce the quality of the RAW image?

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I have the Pro-2000 and absolutely love it and the prints it makes. Possibly my only regret is that I didn’t get the 4000 but I really don’t have the space and rarely want larger than 24” on the short side.
Sometimes I would like a 44 inch wide printer, but, I would rarely use it. Printers sometimes have to be justified. I want vs I need. I have the iPF6400 and am very happy with it.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
How would the pixel density of that compare to the 7Dii.......
Upscaled to FF the 20 MP in the 7D II would be 51 MP. That's why you'll often read about people using a 5Ds or 5Dsr for similar subjects, as it is virtually the same pixel density.

A 90 MP FF sensor would have even greater density than the 32.5 MP sensor found in the 90D and M6 II, which scales up to 83 MP.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
yes, and [heresy] I've never found it to be as serious a problem as it appears to be for some [/heresy]
I never said that it is a "serious problem" but it is there under some practical circumstances, reducing the appeal of a very high mp sensor IMO and I'll put up a few examples of this when I get a minute.

I concede that in hindsight on a tech-centric forum like CR it was unwise to use the expression "fall off a cliff" but I can quite easily demonstrate what I mean ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Sometimes I would like a 44 inch wide printer, but, I would rarely use it. Printers sometimes have to be justified. I want vs I need. I have the iPF6400 and am very happy with it.
The differences between the 2000/2100 and 4000/4100 really are just a another 20”, but in a home office it is difficult to fit. The running costs and everything else are the same and you get bigger start up cartridges with the 4000/4100 which offsets the higher price somewhat.

I paid $2,150 for my printer on special offer from B&H not that long after it came out, I now have close to $3,000 worth of ink in it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
The geometrical constraints described will not give you a worse image from a high resolution sensor than from a lower resolution when they are both output to the same size. What it does mean is that you may not get the full or even any advantage of the higher density sensor if the conditions are not right. If the conditions are right - good lighting, high shutter speed for a moving subject or good tripod for a static at low speeds, and a good wide lens, the higher resolution sensor will give better images that can be used at larger output size or greater cropping. Whether it will be of any advantage to you personally, that is another matter.
I was talking about fthe fact that 90MP sensor will make it harder to capture fast moving objects (birds), not a steady tripod with good light conditions. As said in a much simpler way than I described it, by Eclipsed: Motion blur is stronger when you increase sensor resolution.

Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
The differences between the 2000/2100 and 4000/4100 really are just a another 20”, but in a home office it is difficult to fit. The running costs and everything else are the same and you get bigger start up cartridges with the 4000/4100 which offsets the price higher somewhat.

i paid $2,150 for my printer on special offer from B&H not that long after it came out, I now have close to $3,000 worth of ink in it!
I am really lucky. I found a used iPF6400 in like new condition (a repo I think) with basically full 300 ml ink cartridges for only $1000 Cdn. :geek: I had to drive 3 hours away to pick it up but it was worth it!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I was talking about fthe fact that 90MP sensor will make it harder to capture fast moving objects (birds), not a steady tripod with good light conditions. As said in a much simpler way than I described it, by Eclipsed: Motion blur is stronger when you increase sensor resolution.
Only if you enlarge more. But high resolution aps-c can be handheld and used at the pixel level easily enough.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Motion blur is stronger when you increase sensor resolution.
If you measure the strength of motion blur as the number of pixels a feature is smeared across, then yes. But if you measure it relative to the total sensor width (so geometrically, as you put it), your statement is wrong.

Given the same magnification (viewing size for a given sensor format), a high and a low resolution sensor will look identical in terms of motion blur (and noise, too, if we want to mention another unnecessary controversy). It is only when you want to make use of the higher resolution by enlarging further that you will notice motion blur more easily. But if you shot with a lower res sensor, you would get blur just from the lack of detail regardless of shutter speed at such high magnifications.

High resolution sensors are not inferior to low resolution ones.

Upvote 0
I never said that it is a "serious problem" but it is there under some practical circumstances, reducing the appeal of a very high mp sensor IMO and I'll put up a few examples of this when I get a minute.

I concede that in hindsight on a tech-centric forum like CR it was unwise to use the expression "fall off a cliff" but I can quite easily demonstrate what I mean ;)
"as serious a problem" not "serious problem" - sorry for not being specific enough - my concern is also directed at a much wider audience influenced by spurious 'becomes a problem at f/5.7" I've seen in some 'reviews'

Yes, it can be an issue, but perhaps not as often as some doomsayers (elsewhere!) would posit -

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Why use a 90MP sensor if you don't want to enlarge/crop more? The motion blur is also noticed in APS-C sensors.
I was pointing out that the blanket statement is incorrect without a caveat. Unfortunately the statement is too often repeated without that caveat so is misunderstood by many.

Upvote 0