Industry News: The Sony Alpha a7c leaks ahead of the official announcement

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
As a travel photographer, I always try to pack lightweight but having a small camera body is too much of a compromise for me. Even the A7iii feels unconfortable in my hands. What I would appreciate are some small lenses, something like 15-35mm f/7.1, compact not-so-fast fish eye, compact 70-300 (I'm fine with f/7.1)... I use the 24-105 f/4 for 80% shots but I need to carry extra 2-3kg for those 20% of shots.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I have used Sony APS-C cameras like that and I think the grip is just too short.
The RP is a slight bit cramped compared to the R, but probably still much more easy to handle than this one.
But it is impressive that they have almost the same weight (around 500g) and yet this one still has the IBIS and a big battery in it. That's why they won't price it cheap.

Will Canon's next cheap R series camera also have these two things? Probably not, as their strategy is different.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This looks like a really neat little camera. There is definitely a market for small body cameras and this looks like it would be the smallest full frame ILC on the market, if you can get glass small enough to take advantage of that size. If I were a Sony shooter, I'd probably be pretty interested in this as a secondary body which I could cary with little weight/size penalty. It also looks pretty inconspicuous which may be interesting for those doing street photography, or those shooting in countries where big gear collects more attention.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
The obvious option is No 4K HQ or 8K video - which is all that limits the R5 at this point, and also may reduce the need for the high horsepower processor. That processor probably throws off a lot of heat. Another option is no or poorer weather sealing, which can increase air exchange and cool the camera and/or allow for a heat sync of some kind built in to the body.

The 4K is HQ. It’s a down sampled 6K image. Same as A7iii. No 8k though.

H.624 may be the most important feature though until 625 is optimized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
As a travel photographer, I always try to pack lightweight but having a small camera body is too much of a compromise for me. Even the A7iii feels unconfortable in my hands. What I would appreciate are some small lenses, something like 15-35mm f/7.1, compact not-so-fast fish eye, compact 70-300 (I'm fine with f/7.1)... I use the 24-105 f/4 for 80% shots but I need to carry extra 2-3kg for those 20% of shots.

The site does mention a line of “v” glass that is to be made for the camera. They are supposed to be compact in size.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Finally the narrow Sony E-mount put to good use.

This thing + a few Loxia lenses will be nice.

Wonder if they will make a 36-45mp R version at some point.
I don't think the extra 150g of weight is going to matter in that case, as opposed to better weather resistance. If anything, it will make the balance worse with most lenses.

This is more catered for people looking for the smallest FF camera with IBIS or vloggers, where that weight combined with the wider field of view for the same focal length does make a difference.
I can see the FE 20mm f/1.8 G being a great match, or one of the Sony Zeiss f/4 zooms with OSS for video, although they might still feel slightly heavy.

But I am hopeful to see people testing it with the FE 400/2.8 GM OSS - handheld, of course ;)

Upvote 0
Anything that adds pressure to reduce the R6 price tag is useful to me. This camera doesn't seem useful to me.

This camera seems EXTREMELY incredibly useful to me. The whole point of a camera is to take pictures and I'm taking more pictures the easier and more convenient it is to bring a camera to places I go. I crave for and long for a SUPER tiny yet powerful full frame camera. Canon needs to bring something like this out.

Upvote 0
Looks like a very interesting. camera to me, especially if Sony follows through with a set of compact lenses to match.

My main cameras now are the R5, R and 5DS, with a 7Dii and 1Ds iii in reserve. I also have an M6 ii and several lenses and it is my carry everywhere camera. It may not be taken out every time, but it is usually along. And before the R5 arrived, it was often the lens on my 100-400 L ii and the big lens.

If Canon makes a similar csmara with a full frame sensor, I would be interested. I would also be interested in an. M7 (or whatever) with a tougher build, IBIS, souped up autofocus, maybe a bit more speed and controls more like the R or R5. A wee bit larger size might be nice, but I bought a SmallRig L bracket-grip for the M6 ii and it made the camera quite nice for handling with a larger lens. Much of my photography is wildlife you either cannot get close to or do not want to get close to so that 32.5 MP APS sensor is quite nice to have handy.

A light weight compact camera with lenses also light and compact is an excellent tool for some occasions.

Upvote 0
The obvious option is No 4K HQ or 8K video - which is all that limits the R5 at this point, and also may reduce the need for the high horsepower processor. That processor probably throws off a lot of heat. Another option is no or poorer weather sealing, which can increase air exchange and cool the camera and/or allow for a heat sync of some kind built in to the body.
Sure, but the R6 with 20MP overheats too as it is oversampling the sensor. If this hypothetical camera only had lineskipping 4K then it wouldn't have any issue. Oversampling would be given what we have seen from the R6.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
I think it's cool that Sony is doing this -- the more ideas, concepts and competition, the better! I'm sure there will be people that will snap this up (especially for traveling).

I do find it kind of funny, though...

Internet Reviewer: "The R5/R6 feels so good in the hand -- I can finally fit all my fingers on the grip, unlike my A7RIV."
Sony: "Let's go smaller!"

On the one hand, perhaps the industry is ultimately heading to full frame sensors in tiny mirrorless packages that will eventually replace the shrinking point-and-shoot and amateur DLSR segment. On the other hand, typical full-frame lenses might quickly become unwieldy on a tiny body. Lens size would be the barrier that would need to be addressed.

It'll be interesting to see what Canon does with the EOS M line where small bodies also have small lenses. Will it compete against tiny full-frame bodies with big lenses? Will Canon retire the M line and go the same route as Sony because tiny full-frame bodies will eventually get small-enough lenses?

Fun times...

...unless you have an M and are wishing for more lenses. :p
Sony makes a number of tiny full-frame lenses—the Zeiss 35mm f2.8 comes to mind.
I own this lens and along with this new concept intrigues me, to say the least!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0